AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 22nd April, 2005, 05:29 PM

Two bootable drives w/drive letter issue

I have 2 bootable drives (switchable, only one is active at one time). I made a image of the 2nd drive and saved it. I then copied that image to the first drive. Both drives boot ok and both drives are reconized in the Bios and Windows ok. Both drives switch ok (the correct drive boots (becomes a master ok).
Problem is no matter which one boots it retains the same drive name. IOW's I have one drive labeled Backup1 and the other Main1. Either way, for example Main1 is shown even though it's Backup1 that's active.
I ran into this before and forgot the fix. I tried to rename the drive but it doesn't do any good. I made changes to one drive's content so I can tell it apart (deleted some programs and changed the wallpaper and splash screen (separate subject on the splash screen, not a issue here).
It's not that the drives aren't booting to one I want, it's just the name of the drive stays the same. It's always dribve letter "C", but the same name remains.

Hope that made sense.

Running 2k w/sp4 and administrative rights. The image was done with a Ghost 2003 floppy.
Old 5th May, 2005, 01:36 AM

Wink

the, active, booting partition will always be named C: by Windows itself.

Is that a problem ?

If you named the 2 partitions with 2 different names, you then know which is which, no ?

What can go wrong ?

You could make it simpler; make a dualboot Win2kS P4 and WinXPS P2 like I have; the difference is very clear at any time then !

1] ... Athlon XP2500+ Barton @ 3000+ & 512 MB RAM WinXP
2] ... Athlon XP2500+ Barton @ 3100+ & 1024 MB RAMWin2k
3] ... Athlon XP2500+ Mobile Barton @ 3200+ & 512 MB RAM WinXP
4&5] Athlon A64X2 3800+ @ 2.6 GHz (~ 5000+) & 2x 1024 MB RAM running @ 237 MHz WinXP

All folding 24/7
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!