AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 22nd July, 2005, 07:37 PM

Dell PC & Win XP

I'm trying to load my Win XP I got with my Dell pc on my backup pc, but I run into a problem when it's time to register the computer. MS won't register the software. Is there anyway to get this running on my backup computer? What happens if I need to reload the software on my Dell PC? Do they turn me down then also?

Thanks,

Sherm
Old 22nd July, 2005, 07:59 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

It is possible that the XP CD is custom designed to recognize the hw config for Dell, and not work properly if the machine is not a dell.

If you aren't licensed for it, then you may be out of luck.
Old 22nd July, 2005, 11:42 PM

if it is off a Dell machine originally, Dell have custom built XP disks that will only work on the Dell machine, also, please be aware, that if it is off a Dell, chances are that your version of XP is an OEM, which means it is only licensed to the machine you got with it.

Basically, with OEM, if you buy/build a new machine, you will need to buy a new licence/software.

Alternative to this, if you buy a boxed version of XP, they have a single user licence, but you will be able to install on multiple machines (as long as you dont use it on more than one machine at a time).

Main machine                Gateway machine         Wifey's machine
O/S WIN XP Pro SP1              SuSE 9.2                WIN XP Pro SP2
CPU 2.8 Celeron D               1Ghz Pentium III        2.4 Celeron D
RAM 768MB PC2700                512MB PC133             512mb PC2700
HDS 40GB Excelstar              20GB Quantum Fireball   40GB
VID XFX FX6600GT 128MB          NVidia 2 MX400 32MB     O/B AGP Video
MOB Eliteforce ECS 661FX-M      DELL                    DELL
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd July, 2005, 03:24 AM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~* InSoM *~
if it is off a Dell machine originally, Dell have custom built XP disks that will only work on the Dell machine, also, please be aware, that if it is off a Dell, chances are that your version of XP is an OEM, which means it is only licensed to the machine you got with it.

Basically, with OEM, if you buy/build a new machine, you will need to buy a new licence/software.

Alternative to this, if you buy a boxed version of XP, they have a single user licence, but you will be able to install on multiple machines (as long as you dont use it on more than one machine at a time).

Very true. Look at the FAQ for my guide. It explains the differences between OEM and retail. That you got it with a Dell means there is a 99% chance its OEM. Also the End User License Agreement you accepted, at the top (no 1) it states what the license is for (1 comp, etc). This can also be got from c:\windows\system32\eula.txt for windows and in office help->about

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
- Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
2 x SanDisk Extreme 120GB RAID 0
Western Digital Green 3TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd July, 2005, 04:27 PM
Member/Contributer

Can you install a single user license on more than one hardware setup unless it's identicle? XP makes a hardware profile aspart of it's registration which is why whenever you change a majorpiece of hardware it needs re-registering. Would you be able to use it on two hardware configs at once legally?

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 23rd July, 2005, 04:43 PM

no, the license you get with Windows is just a single user/machine license. I am not sure if you can get mulit-user license, you can on most software, but what most system builders would do is buy OEM in bulk and get multiple license's then.

Main machine                Gateway machine         Wifey's machine
O/S WIN XP Pro SP1              SuSE 9.2                WIN XP Pro SP2
CPU 2.8 Celeron D               1Ghz Pentium III        2.4 Celeron D
RAM 768MB PC2700                512MB PC133             512mb PC2700
HDS 40GB Excelstar              20GB Quantum Fireball   40GB
VID XFX FX6600GT 128MB          NVidia 2 MX400 32MB     O/B AGP Video
MOB Eliteforce ECS 661FX-M      DELL                    DELL
Old 23rd July, 2005, 04:44 PM
Member/Contributer

No, each license is for ONE machine at any one time, OEM is only for the machine (hardware) bought with check my Guide to troubleshooting Windows and Office in the FAQ section

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
- Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
2 x SanDisk Extreme 120GB RAID 0
Western Digital Green 3TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H