AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 24th August, 2005, 05:08 PM

Send a message via MSN to l33t_baller Send a message via Yahoo to l33t_baller

Who thinks win 98 sucks?

well i just toasted another sound card playing around with..... nm and i posted a while ago that i had a soundcard that wouldnt work on my computer well come to find out it will work.... only on 98 though i always had 98 on like dial up but now that i have broadband this just sickens me i have so many different virus spyware and other things its gonna drive me crazy every day i get a new virus

any suggestions (i need a sound card.... there for no xp)
Old 25th August, 2005, 12:15 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Win98 was OK, Win98SE was much better. Remember all the files that needed to be installed--in the correct order--to make Win95 Webworthy?

I used SE for a long time before succumbing to the fact that XP was better. I had a legal copy of Win2K, but it was not "just like 98SE" as a friend insisted. I liked XP a lot more--but this sure doesn't hold true with all Win2K users.

I'm not certain if your post is asking for a Soundcard that works with XP. If so, the humble SoundBlaster Live 5.1 works well. And you don't need to install the minimum choice of a driver that comes on the CD, which is 25 Mb of PITA software. XP finds its own driver during installation, badda bing. I'm told that you need one file from the Live 1.5's CD for the best sound quality. As you can't install this little file without all of the crud from SoundBlaster, the audio quality sounds good enough for me.
Old 25th August, 2005, 01:45 AM
Alien Clones Champion

Location: Queensland Australia ''Oh'' the beauitful sunny coast!
Send a message via MSN to QSDT

Have XP Pro SP2 on home system. But at work one has Win 98 slowest thing I've ever used. Start up, online, everywhere.
Monitor Dell 24'' 2407WFP ''WOW that's all I can say''

Why is Phonetic not spelt Phonetically, and why is the word Abbreviation so long?

My Ex gives 100% sound adivce, 99% sound, 1% adivce.

69% of all statistics are made up!

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th August, 2005, 03:07 AM

Send a message via MSN to l33t_baller Send a message via Yahoo to l33t_baller

im using 98se the only big difference that i noticed is internet sharing

and my sound card is a poopy conexant riptide modem combo i think i blew one channel cause it crackels and the left sounds horid
Old 25th August, 2005, 07:59 PM
Member / Master of Toiletries

Send a message via MSN to Toro Send a message via Skype™ to Toro

I've used Win98SE on a few computers, it runs fine for them, theres no high demands being put on them or nothing. Never any sound problems with Win98 thats for sure...

As for recommending sound cards, as far as I can see, and from my own experience, a sound card is a sound card is a sound card. That is unless you are planning to do something soundy with them, like make your PC into your very own 32track recording device or something that requires high quality sound sampling

"Check the Forum Rules Announcement, listed there."

AOA Team fah

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th August, 2005, 08:15 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

98SE is the best of all the DOS based Windows variants, IMHO. Which is to say it sux the least. LOL
Old 26th August, 2005, 12:00 AM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
98SE is the best of all the DOS based Windows variants, IMHO. Which is to say it sux the least. LOL
I disagree - Windows 3.11 for workgroups was the best DOS based Windows variant - but it is personal opinion.

Infact 3.11 will run on a Athlon xp 3200+ I had a call from a guy running it in that config with some really small amount of crappy RAM, He wanted to know how to do something in Outlook 95. He told me all he needed it for was word processing a small amount of excel, and emails. He also told me it took about 5s from when he hit the power switch to when windows was loaded, and he was doing things.

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
- Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
2 x SanDisk Extreme 120GB RAID 0
Western Digital Green 3TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H
Old 26th August, 2005, 12:16 AM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Quote:
I resisted moving to NT-based systems for a long time because they didn't feel comfortable to me. I went right from 98FE (yep, FE) to SuSE 7.3, and didn't even consider an NT-based system until the end of 2002.
Old 26th August, 2005, 04:14 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob
I disagree - Windows 3.11 for workgroups was the best DOS based Windows variant - but it is personal opinion.
I could see that, particularly if you had the Win32s extension loaded. Unfortunately, there is an awful lot of software out now that simply won't run on that configuration.
Old 26th August, 2005, 05:00 AM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
I could see that, particularly if you had the Win32s extension loaded. Unfortunately, there is an awful lot of software out now that simply won't run on that configuration.
Its a pity that, but for an email / word processor box, its the best - Absolutely no viruses, none at all

and for some people thats all they need - with the smallest avaliable HDD you will NEVER (maybe in 30yrs) run out of HDD space, and for maybe $200US you could have a machine that boots up and is ready in about 5 - 10s from hitting the switch.

Integrated everything still would have more power than than 3.11 could use

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
- Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
2 x SanDisk Extreme 120GB RAID 0
Western Digital Green 3TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H
Old 3rd September, 2005, 04:00 AM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

Talking about building dedicated word processing or music machines. When I do this. I suffer from overkill. Dual P2's with 256mb RAM, SoundBlaster Live 7.1, 80gb IDE drive = my MP3 player.

I took it to school for the senior common room, so we could listen to music.

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64
Old 3rd September, 2005, 04:13 AM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Chesso

I never used Win98 i skipped it and went straight to WindowsME and to think i actually liked that OS and wasn't willing to swap to NT based. Until the handle limit killed my software developing as i needed to use alot and there is a resource limit in 9x, NT is only limited by memory.
Old 3rd September, 2005, 04:27 AM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

My old Compaq AMD K6-2 (now Mum's computer) and my old P1 200mhz, are both running Windows 98SE. It works fine without a crash, until I need them for something, then usually an OS rebuild is required.

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64
Old 3rd September, 2005, 04:04 PM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

well here's what XP enthusiasts said to 98 users when it was released:

http://www.yowzagames-mark2.co.uk/sm...iss_it_ico.ico

I suggest you do the same with your copy of 98. It's simple and effective!

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)
Old 4th September, 2005, 01:04 AM

Windows 98SE was a kick ass OS. It didnt have the Pre-school look of XP, eat up a lot of graphical and CPU cycle's and WAS more secure (IMO) than what we have now. My first build machine, k6 @ 400mhz, still runs without a hitch and I use it for the occasional Broodwar, and having small storage.
Old 4th September, 2005, 03:01 AM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

More secure? No. More reliable? Hell no. More robust? Only if you count hormonal redheads as reliable.

That said, between Win98, WinME and Win2k, I prefer Win98's "feel" even though I'd use Win2k for its hardware support. When Win98 looked dated, I switched to Linux. For Windows, I think XP is the best thing since sliced bread... after you've removed the green-blob title bar. My laptop has not enough memory to do so, so I have the default skin. Never mind - even a bogey in the bottom-left beats a crash before the deadline.
Old 4th September, 2005, 07:06 AM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Win 98 SE is OK ! Many have old computers with 64 or 128 MB SDRAM - P II or P III. Win 98 will do the job for them. Internet, Office, Corel, name it.....
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 4th September, 2005, 11:55 AM
Simon Champion, 3D Car Driver Champion, Taz's Dance Fever Champion, Arcanoid Champion, Simpsons Shooter Champion, Break in the Crowd Champion, Mad Shark Champion, Quad Champion, Super Flash Mario Bros. Champion

I loved 98se was on my system for years, i was always told that xp was not worth the trouble it caused, until i tried it and relised how much better it was.

98se goes down in history IMO
Old 4th September, 2005, 08:54 PM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

I can't belive you guys, you're sticking up for perhaps the worst 32bit OS created! just look at driver support! Even my 93mb, 266mhz p2 slot A, 3.4gb, sis 300/305, intel box can run XP. Amittedly, startup is slow but ffs, XP isn't that intensive. I tell you something, intel and 98 (or 98se) would suit each other perfect, they're both slow learners, they both crash more often than at a destruction derby, they're both mae by companies who've been accuesed of 'unfair play' in the market and they are both awkward to use. I'd rather swallow a linux box than use 98 (or 98se). No offense to linux because linux ain't that bad after all, unless your a rockwell or conexant modem user! Ahhh, fond memories. I think 95 is the classiest of 32bit os's, it's just plain and simple. That was the first OS i ever used. I've never owned a Mac or any software made by apple, not even quicktime because even that is crap. I don't have an ipod but i am considering buying one. But just for the sake of it all, let's just say windows 98 sucks.

'Windows 98: It sucks. Always has, always will.'

or for mac users (or people who eats loads of 'mcdonalds' meals):

'Be a loser; buy a (big) mac.'

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)
Old 4th September, 2005, 09:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to Exile69 Send a message via MSN to Exile69

I've had my personal experiences with Windows 98SE, and I must say I don't care for it much. The only time I had to use it was when I had the Windows XP Pro upgrade disc and installed Windows 98SE on my comps before going to XP. And I really must say, for the few minutes I had to use it I just couldn't stand it. It's very slow, it doesn't have much support for software, the driver database makes it near impossible to use. I just prefer XP and I can't comment on that compared to any Linux or Unix based OS's because I've never had a chance/had to use one.

AOA Team fah

Abit NF-M2 | XFX 8600GT | AM2 X2 3800+ | 2Gb G.Skill DDR2 800 | Aspire X-QPack | 250Gb Western Digital | Creative X-Fi + Logitech X530 5.1