AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10th September, 2005, 11:51 AM

Windows Vista Hardware Requirements: 256mb RAM

That's 256mb of VIDEO RAM!!!

"A Microsoft strategist told attendees of the TechEd 2005 conference on the Gold Coast last week that Windows Vista's new display driver model may compel users to upgrade to a PC with 2 GByte of DDR3 SDRAM and a graphics card with at least 256 MByte memory, according to Australian PC enthusiast publication APC Magazine."

http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews...08_110000.html

Hot damn.
Old 10th September, 2005, 11:59 AM
Member/Contributer

This OS is over a year away at best yet, those specs won't look so crazy in 12 months and these are probably the top end specs, needed to have all the fancy bits of twirly windowing tat turned on, people who just want a web browsing system will probably be able to get by on far less

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th September, 2005, 02:25 PM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

Yeah, far less as in windows 3.1 It can't be the low end because i'm phoocked if it is. XD

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th September, 2005, 03:47 PM
Member/Contributer

Dont worry to much guys.

The actual stats are looking towards
min:
Pentium 700MHz +
128MB Ram
20GB HDD
SVGA 1024 x 768 Graphics

and it looks as if it could take serious advantage of something like
X2 4800+
2GB RAM
SLI 7800GTX
2x 400GB Raid 0 16MB Cache.

I am still trying to get some decent documentation to post on forum. MS tell less to their employees than to the general public!!

It looks as if it will be out between July and December 2006. Probably closer to July

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
- Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
2 x SanDisk Extreme 120GB RAID 0
Western Digital Green 3TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H
Old 10th September, 2005, 03:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to Exile69 Send a message via MSN to Exile69

So, Windows Vista is the new OS? I've heard of Longhorn from a friend. What is that and it's relation to this? Looks interesting.

AOA Team fah

Abit NF-M2 | XFX 8600GT | AM2 X2 3800+ | 2Gb G.Skill DDR2 800 | Aspire X-QPack | 250Gb Western Digital | Creative X-Fi + Logitech X530 5.1
Old 10th September, 2005, 04:12 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Hypothethical dialogue

WLZ: How many FPS do you have there?
RZF:Well I have between 40 - 60 with my SLI 6800 U in wvst. explorer
WLZ:WOW that is so cool, I have 90 there and if I open ctrl panel drops to 60 with my 7800 SLI
CRB:Bringing up the TSK manager drop to 19 fps, hell I can't play this Vista thing....
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 10th September, 2005, 04:13 PM

longhorn = code name for vista.
same OS... worse name

[/team][/thread]Motivator[thread=2352][team=fah]
Old 10th September, 2005, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbard
Hypothethical dialogue

WLZ: How many FPS do you have there?
RZF:Well I have between 40 - 60 with my SLI 6800 U in wvst. explorer
WLZ:WOW that is so cool, I have 90 there and if I open ctrl panel drops to 60 with my 7800 SLI
CRB:Bringing up the TSK manager drop to 19 fps, hell I can't play this Vista thing....
Are you saying that there's something wrong with 19FPS?

I reckon that vista will follow suit, e.g. win95 needed such speed CPU, win98 needed one slightly faster, etc.

Old 10th September, 2005, 08:38 PM
Member/Contributer

Vista itself shouldn't be all that cpu dependant if most of the gui is going to be hardware accelerated, that is unless you can't turn the stupid little dog off that will run round trying to help you

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 11th September, 2005, 07:28 AM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Chesso

lmao this time he'll be a full 3d model. Yay that get's me so excited ^_^ not!

I know some people will want a fancy gui but just for the operating system itself their going a bit far. What a waste of good hardware me thinks.
Old 11th September, 2005, 02:34 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob
The actual stats are looking towards
min:
Pentium 700MHz +
128MB Ram
20GB HDD
SVGA 1024 x 768 Graphics
Ahh, that sounds like the usual minimum from MS. IE, utterly unrealistic if you want to actually be able to do anything (other than swap)!
Old 11th September, 2005, 04:19 PM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
Ahh, that sounds like the usual minimum from MS. IE, utterly unrealistic if you want to actually be able to do anything (other than swap)!
Yep just like the min specs for XP

1.5GB HDD
SVGA 600x800
P266+
64MB RAM

Utterly useless - need atleast twice that

Vista actually looks as if its going to really need

1.5GHz +
20GB HDD (OS 10GB inc page file)
SVGA 1024 x 768 with 3D Hardware acceleration (nVidia 6600 +)
512MB RAM +

And thats just for an email box. I hope the OS basically turns off to play games, otherwise no upgrade for me!!

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H
Old 11th September, 2005, 04:51 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

I heard that they gave up on directx and replace it with indirect y. Anyone knows more about this?
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 11th September, 2005, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob
Yep just like the min specs for XP

1.5GB HDD
SVGA 600x800
P266+
64MB RAM

Utterly useless - need atleast twice that

Vista actually looks as if its going to really need

1.5GHz +
20GB HDD (OS 10GB inc page file)
SVGA 1024 x 768 with 3D Hardware acceleration (nVidia 6600 +)
512MB RAM +

And thats just for an email box. I hope the OS basically turns off to play games, otherwise no upgrade for me!!
No, plain and simply, no. It's just not good business. I think it will need something more like:

500Mhz
3GB HD
SVGA 800x600
256MB RAM

To get a decent machine though, simply double them (except the res which should be 1024x768 for a decent machine).

Old 11th September, 2005, 06:05 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
This is why I get so upset when my boss asks me about the minimum specs for an application that I write. He says "What is the minimum required hardware to be able to run that application?", and I always respond with, "Do you want to be able to RUN it, or do you want to be able to USE it?".

I have yet to write a Win32 program that won't run on a 16 Mhz '386 with Win95 and 8 meg of RAM. That doesn't mean you could use it on one.
Old 11th September, 2005, 06:41 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Quote:
Originally Posted by skool h8r
No, plain and simply, no. It's just not good business. I think it will need something more like:

500Mhz
3GB HD
SVGA 800x600
256MB RAM

To get a decent machine though, simply double them (except the res which should be 1024x768 for a decent machine).
Every office I've been in for the last couple of years has been stocked with recent-model (i.e. within the last 2 years) PCs. All are P4s of at least 2GHz, with at least half a gigabyte of memory and at least 40GB of hard disc space. Since this sort of rubber-stamp box is now ridiculously cheap, as little as £200 per seat, remembering that companies don't pay VAT, and a lot of times these are leased or on an upgrade deal.

It's not great for small businesses, those with a half-dozen seats buying retail hardware and stumping up all costs, but this has never really been M$'s target market anyway.
Old 11th September, 2005, 10:30 PM
Member/Contributer

skool h8r:

It looks as if Vista is a resource hog, and it's 'designed' (read cobbled together from stolen parts) to run and take advantage of modern systems. The GUI is 3D, and requires a 3D capable video card to run fully, and it will be something like a 6600, maybe you could get away with a 5200 or similar.

As probably 90% of machines can run Vista, and it will be slow on older machines. To actually use it, and see all of the new stupid, crappy, ideas you will need a higher spec machine.

Basically MS has been working hand in hand with the hardware manufacturers, and you can imagine what they want as well...

SELL, SELL, SELL, SELL, all new and expensive hardware!

As many companies are on contract, and lease for the hardware, they will just get an upgrade. As alot of people want to run the latest stuff, they will migrate and buy new stuff if needed. As for those who don't typically upgrade hardware, most of those still run 95 or 98, and will never change

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
Asus ML249H
Old 11th September, 2005, 11:55 PM
Member/Contributer

I don't think the hardware requirements for vista will be that much of a problem. XP has been by far the best version of windows released, and there is no real need for an upgrade from it like with previous versions (Win95 bringing 32bit support, XP dropping legacy support)

So anyone wanting a basic home system, capable of nothing fancy, will be sorted just sticking with XP

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 12th September, 2005, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamGarside
anyone wanting a basic home system, capable of nothing fancy, will be sorted just sticking with XP
Agreed - Ive been happy with XP since release, cant see me upgrading as it does everything I ask it to. I really cannot see that changing.
Old 12th September, 2005, 12:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to fantomfreq

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellamne
Agreed - Ive been happy with XP since release, cant see me upgrading as it does everything I ask it to. I really cannot see that changing.
I wouldn't upgrade an existing computer to Vista without doing some massive research first. My family bought a new IBM computer between 4 to 6 months before the release of XP. My dad had preordered XP and picked it up on its release date at Best Buy. We promptly installed it on our young computer and some hardware components and plenty of installed software proceeded to break. DVD drive - no longer working. CD burning software - no longer working. CD-RW drive - working but practically useless because it did not work with the built-in XP burning software and the old burning software was broken.

Bah, just remembering that night makes me angry. Something strikes me about the landscape of the computer world since then too: it seems that alternative OS'es are taking off more than ever. It's possible that I'm just biased after fairly recently dumping Windows completely for different software, but before a few years ago it was unfathomable that a regular home user would be using something other than Windows.