AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 22nd September, 2005, 01:09 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Windows Vista Beta 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~
Looks like your our point guy Chris!
Looks like I finally got my hand on Windows Vista Beta 1.

First surprise;

I went for a dual boot type of instalation. So that means that if you have already windows xp installed on your computer you can just add win Vista to test it as a second OS. If you have another partition with only 6 GB that will do....

Second surprise;

will do...if you don't have a raid array ITE 8212 IDE RAID controller in which case, after the first restart, the installation will halt because it will not recognise the raid array (my computer). If you have Intel based SATA RAID it'll be even worse as in boot.ini will be corrupted. But in this case you only need to use bootfix command @ the comand prompt(sorin's computer).

So I put togheter today first hour at job a rig, ASUS mobo video onboard, Duron 1800, 256 MB DDR, Maxtor 80 GB. Since the integrated video took some memory I had to add a stick of ram because the installation will not start with less than 256 MB ram.

I started the installation which is the simpliest I ever saw.

Question 1: Where do you want to install (what partition) and
Question 2: Type ID KEY and then in ~ 90 min is over.

However it didn't recognise the SIS integrated graphic adapter and therefore I added one Radeon 9250 / 128 MB. I didn't had to restart, the card was automaticaly recognised no pop up questions just recognised and installed without the need to reboot ! I took a few pics and I will take a HDD at home and let you know more about how it goes !

Chris

P.S. Feel free to ask questions and I'll try answering them.
Attached Thumbnails
Windows Vista Beta 1-explorers.jpg   Windows Vista Beta 1-my-documents.jpg   Windows Vista Beta 1-mypictures.jpg   Windows Vista Beta 1-stilldx9.jpg   Windows Vista Beta 1-ctrlpanel.jpg  

I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Last edited by chrisbard; 22nd September, 2005 at 01:47 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd September, 2005, 03:27 PM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

TBH, vista just looks like a version of XP with multi desktop and different backgrounds. Whare's the 3d file browser? Or hasn't that been integrated yet?

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd September, 2005, 03:28 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

They took _THIS_ long to reskin XP?!

Any Spyware yet?

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 22nd September, 2005, 03:55 PM
Benchmarker

It's been nearly four years since Microsoft Corp. released Windows XP, and it'll be at least another year before the next-generation Windows client—the newly named Windows Vista—hits the streets. However, now that Vista has reached its initial beta release, we have a chance to see what Microsoft has been doing in all that time—and how much remains to be done.

Well I think that what will make my eyes pop out (I hope) is the real Vista (at least beta 2 is near there!) but that beta 2 I don't have yet. I'll try to see what this has to offer.
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Last edited by chrisbard; 22nd September, 2005 at 06:41 PM.
Old 22nd September, 2005, 03:57 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Which build do you have?
Old 22nd September, 2005, 03:59 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Build 5122

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 22nd September, 2005, 04:59 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to hoinar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitch
Build 5122
Old 22nd September, 2005, 05:15 PM
Team 45 Folder

Send a message via MSN to Got EpOx Send a message via Skype™ to Got EpOx

They are certainly going for the super user friendly interface. More mac style this time.
232GB Western Digital 'My Book' External HDD USB 2.0
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
Intel GMA 950 Onboard Video
Want to make a difference without leaving your chair?, then join the AOA folding team today!
AOA Folding @Home
Old 22nd September, 2005, 05:22 PM
AOA Staff

best part about this one, is theve figured out a way to make you upgrade if you want to run windows.. good ol bill cant be happy as the richest man in the world and just fix the product that made him the richest man in the world. He continually rolls out new problems for his customers at an obscene profit with little regard of the cost impact to said customers.
Old 22nd September, 2005, 06:38 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoinar
One of them too.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 22nd September, 2005, 06:45 PM
Benchmarker

Based on details provided by the software maker—a Microsoft representative this week suggested PC buyers who want to gain the full Windows Vista user interface experience pick up a PC with a discrete graphics card that supports its DirectX 9 graphics specification—analysts say that not all of today's hardware has the graphics chops necessary to display Windows Vista's most visually compelling feature, its new Aero Glass 3D user interface.

"Windows Vista provides the best possible user experience allowed by the graphics capabilities of each computer," a Microsoft spokeswoman said in an e-mail to Ziff Davis Internet. "As graphics support is still being finalized, customers who plan to purchase new PCs should consider specifying graphics cards with AGP or PCI Express interfaces, which are most easily upgraded. For Aero effects video graphics cards should support: DirectX 9 with an LDDM [Longhorn Display Driver Model] driver, 32 bpp [bits per pixel] color depth, and 64MB of graphics RAM."

Old 22nd September, 2005, 07:13 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Call me when they get something better than 2000 Pro... significantly better.... Damn, I guess I have to add, better for the consumer....
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 22nd September, 2005, 08:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to captaincurran Send a message via MSN to captaincurran Send a message via Yahoo to captaincurran Send a message via Skype™ to captaincurran

whatever happened to the Windows Longhorn? is this windows vista the newer Longhorn?

Old 22nd September, 2005, 08:33 PM
Benchmarker

Wink

Codename is still longhorn but comercial name is VISTA. Guys guess what? After I got home I googled this raid thing and I managed to make a raid floppy disk for Vista. Muahahaha I did it. So no raid array stoped me from investigating further this Beta release ! I am on AOA for the first time using I.E. 7.0 v 5112.0

My 6800 was found and installed from the suplemental driver automatic instalation panel and I got 77.52 driver straight from the Vista DVD ! But I think I have to go to sleep now and tell you more tommorow. Have a great day/night folks.

Chris over & out !
Attached Thumbnails
Windows Vista Beta 1-huraeeeeeeee.jpg   Windows Vista Beta 1-nvidiadrv.jpg  

Old 22nd September, 2005, 09:58 PM
AOA Staff

Interesting how the DX version is only 8.1

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 22nd September, 2005, 10:20 PM
AOA Staff

Does it have a horn then? How long is it?
Old 22nd September, 2005, 11:35 PM

No it has the horn - like a prostitute - it will suck (you) till your dry
Old 23rd September, 2005, 01:01 AM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Bloody hell, it's hideous! I thought XP's giant green bogey and KDE 3.3's default Keramik skin looked crap, but that's truly awful! What happened to all their big ideas? "New ways of using a computer" we were promised. The truth is a new skin
Old 23rd September, 2005, 03:38 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Yeah but how does it fold?!!??! Can you run a 3D Mark on it?
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 23rd September, 2005, 06:09 AM
Benchmarker

Talking

It has DX 9.0c not 8.1 That is a mistake of the driver ! The real face of Vista is showed in Beta 2 which as I said I don't have yet. Anyway funny comments. I will tray today after I get back from work to show you more. This Beta 1 comes without the beauty of 3d environment. Ladies keep your pants on until I get Beta 2 pls

1. Every character is more clear and the fonts are changed.
2. Navigating with this IE is faster

Now I have to go to work, see ya.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Windows Vista Beta 1-strange.jpg