AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 30th September, 2005, 05:20 PM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

Re-volt X2

Hi all,
After 3 months of hard work, Re-volt X2 is finally ready! All i can say, wow! All the hard work looks like it's payed off in this browser. I've integrated a technology called SMART (Security Module And Resource Training) which means it is even more secure than previous versions. It's got all the 'usual' features as well as a whole host of others. It looks very impressive, boasting a completely new GUI and no buttons on their own. The options open in a 'docked' panel. You can add a custom tab with one click and perform a google search on-the-fly, again, by one-click. There's an arcade featuring a few games when you feel a bit bored. A completely new browsing engine has been built into it. It's still based on MSIE's engine but it's a hybrid. It has the ability to use transparencies, like with Vista. All panels in the browser are affected when this option is activated. There are commands built into the browser so that almost all actions can be activated simply by typing it into the address bar.

The release date is the 5th of october, over at my site ( http://www.yowzagames-mark2.co.uk ). Really impressive IMHO.

---------------------------------------------------------
Re-volt X2 - Re-volt-utionise the way you browse the web.

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th September, 2005, 06:53 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

It looks like you've really put alot of work into this, I really hope it all pays off. I look forward to the release and will let you know how things go.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th October, 2005, 12:53 AM
Member/Contributer

skool h8r just been playing with your browser - it looks really good. You have definately put alot of work into it, I do like it.

I like the tabs and that it doesn't have heaps of garbage in it.

Just one thing - I have my tool bar on the side and it doesn't seem to pick that up, screenshots below. not sure if thats how it is or what.

Any chance of putting a print function in? maybe for x3.
Attached Thumbnails
Re-volt X2-revolt-max.jpg   Re-volt X2-revolt-normal.jpg   Re-volt X2-revolt-max2.jpg  

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
- Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
2 x SanDisk Extreme 120GB RAID 0
Western Digital Green 3TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H
Old 5th October, 2005, 03:29 PM

Ahh, i see what you mean. The reason this happens is because the actual GUI itself is an image, and i simply set it to start up as a certain size, i really can't change this without making it smaller. It can be run in kiosk mode by clicking the maximize button. I can put a print command in a patch if you want, make it a command within the browser. Or a button.

The reason behind the toolbar is because i set it to span the desktop, but mainly for 800x600 users simply because not many users are using anything below this (i'm using 1024x768, but i only started that recently, before i was 800x600). But if you use the resize button in the bottom right corner and then move the browser, it should be fine, sorry for any problems it may cause you.

Just a note to all users, this is an XP only app, mostly because of the features in it but i may release a version for other users.

Old 5th October, 2005, 09:46 PM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skool h8r
Ahh, i see what you mean. The reason this happens is because the actual GUI itself is an image, and i simply set it to start up as a certain size, i really can't change this without making it smaller. It can be run in kiosk mode by clicking the maximize button. I can put a print command in a patch if you want, make it a command within the browser. Or a button.

The reason behind the toolbar is because i set it to span the desktop, but mainly for 800x600 users simply because not many users are using anything below this (i'm using 1024x768, but i only started that recently, before i was 800x600). But if you use the resize button in the bottom right corner and then move the browser, it should be fine, sorry for any problems it may cause you.

Just a note to all users, this is an XP only app, mostly because of the features in it but i may release a version for other users.

Sweet, wasn't sure if it was a bug or not - just wanted you to know about it. My screen resolution is 1280 x 1024 so no problems there. I am running XP, just don't like the stupid XP visuals W2k looked so much better.

Was just thinking out loud, for future enhancements. maybe a print button over a print command if thats possible - something small on the tab its self where it automatically sends everything on the tab to the printer - or something like that.

I did notice when I was doing simultaneous searches in google, sometimes it would change both tabs to the same search, even after a page refresh, but this was when I was doing a test till destruction, and it took 100x what IE took to fall over. Infact - it took me 15s to make IE not respond, and just over 22min for Re-volt x2, with countless tabs open.

The best thing - You CAN do windows updates!!! And I dont have to use IE, ever again!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So all in all - its more stable, the popup blocker actually works, and AVG scans the bad stuff better through it, went to a couple of sites know to have virii, AVG caught them on the incoming, not the installing this time.

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H
Old 6th October, 2005, 02:27 AM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

My only gripe is when I closed all tabs, it freaked out like hell and I had to kill explorer.exe to fix it.

Not too sure if it was the browser or windows but just thought I'd note it.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 6th October, 2005, 03:00 AM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitch
My only gripe is when I closed all tabs, it freaked out like hell and I had to kill explorer.exe to fix it.

Not too sure if it was the browser or windows but just thought I'd note it.
Probably windows, I get the same thing happening with Firefox, and opera on occasions. Usually when I try to do to many things at once, Windows seems to freak out, Also for the extremly small time I had MSN toolbar when i worked for MS, when MSN toolbar didn't colapse explorer did.
btw I typically have 15+ pages / tabs open.

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
Asus ML249H
Old 6th October, 2005, 03:27 AM
AOA Staff

Still use Firefox due to a nice plugin I found which enables you to switch proxies at the click of a button.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 6th October, 2005, 03:17 PM

The thing with the closing, there's actually a confirmation panel asking you if it's ok. It's a bit tempramental (5% tempra, 95% mental ), sometimes it doesn't appear. the easy way to solve this is to click anywhere on the main UI or the current page, it will then appear and you can make a choice. There's also something else, if you close all the tabs, including the one remaining after all others are closed, it actually causes a script error. This is because the tabs functionality is actually coded in plain old javascript and html. I've been thinking about how i can make a better version of the tabs, my mind is'nt running out of ideas, it's just difficult to implement some of them.

As for printing and showing a tab, that's a great idea. It's just not always easy. I could make it show a page with a message saying that it's printing, but again, this is difficult to implement.

Don't forget though, i'm always looking for new ideas to put in the browser, everything that is even crazy sounding, is a fine with me, i work on twisted logic, i live and breathe it so nothing really 'surprises' me. Even if it doesn't seem to have anything to do with browser technology, i can almost guarantee (about 70%) that i can do something with your idea.

One last thing, i'm offering custom browsers to anyone who wishes so, prices start at £20 GBP for a basic one. I'm gonna draw up some packages so it's easy to get exactly what you want.