AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 3rd December, 2005, 08:54 AM
Breakout Champion

Task manager question

When i bring up my task manager, and check my processes, i have 29 running. what is the average number of these i should have running, and what is the minimum i can run with and not crash? Lately when i play some games(not all) i get these freezes, it will freeze for a couple seconds then start again, and this happens frequently, i have no idea what is causing it. Last night i started playing Soldier of Fortune 2 and it happened alot.
Ubuntu

HP Pavillion DV9535nr Laptop

AOA Team fah AOA Team files
"Who you callin a psycho?!" Kingpin
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd December, 2005, 01:35 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Check your event log.

I have about 28 processes running when the machine is idle.
Old 3rd December, 2005, 01:42 PM
Alien Clones Champion

Location: Queensland Australia ''Oh'' the beauitful sunny coast!
Send a message via MSN to QSDT

Good question, I can get mine down to 21 apps.(Shutting down AVG when not online) Who knows with XP how low can you go and it still keeps going. A list if some one knows would be great!
Monitor Dell 24'' 2407WFP ''WOW that's all I can say''

Why is Phonetic not spelt Phonetically, and why is the word Abbreviation so long?

My Ex gives 100% sound adivce, 99% sound, 1% adivce.

69% of all statistics are made up!

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd December, 2005, 04:07 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I have 21 on WindowsXP with one instance of IE running, and this is a fresh install.

However, if you are having a problem with periodic freezes during game play, your problem is probably not with the normal complement of services and drivers.

Are you running the Folding@Home client, or any other distributed-computing-project-type client? If so, they can cause what you are seeing, as can programs designed to monitor such clients.
Old 3rd December, 2005, 08:31 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Chesso

I can have 19 processes running and this thing hasn't had a clean install in quite a long time but i don't allow anything to run on startup and what not.

Best to shut most of the crap down(that you know is safe) before playing a game.
Old 4th December, 2005, 06:04 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Change your video card driver.
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 14th January, 2006, 03:23 PM

I ALWAYS shut down all uneeded processes before playing games. Even virus-scaners, but not firewalls. I can get down to 16 processes with win XP, win ME is even less, I think about 6.Here is a list of the only processes you NEED to have running for win XP.

alg-this is windows firewall, and not needed, but I reccomend leaving it run.
csrss
explorer
lsass
services
smss
spoolsv
svchost
system
system idle process
winlogon

there may but multiple instances of each, especially svchost. Just leave them all run.

Here is a link to clean up processes at start-up.
http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
Site is under construction, but should be back soon.

I don't have a link, but there is a program called enditall2 that will allow you to set up which processes you want killed, and which ones to leave active. Then when you go to game, just click one button, and the program will kill them all. Much faster than using task manager. If you can't find it, PM me and I will E-mail it to you.

I don't know what would cause those freezes, though the other responses might be right, but I do know killing processes before you play games will increase performance. Especially so if you have an older video card.

Hope this helps.
Old 15th January, 2006, 09:25 PM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

Just on a sidenote to Izzban's post, some programs start secretly by using a switch at the end of the winlogon startup entry in the registry. Many malware programs use this method to start themselves which also allows them to start further programs. I have had this happen to me quite a few times, all were infections, but i cleaned up after them. I think i'm gonna make a guide/tutorial on how to find the rogue processes.

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)