AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st March, 2006, 04:40 PM

Question Changing Documents Defaults

Can I re-locate the My Documents folder? and if so how.

I want to move it; or make an automated duplicate of it onto a differnt drive/partition.

Several differnt machines so differnet set ups but similar requirement - All XP Home with Office 2000 or Office student.

Fed up with banging on about backing up data and being ignored.
Old 21st March, 2006, 04:50 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

All you have to do is right-click on your 'My Documents' folder on the desktop, select 'Properties', and then click on the 'move' button to move it.

That won't move your profiles, but should move the 'My Documents' folder to where you want it. On my machines, I have actually changed the location of the 'Documents and Settings' folder to be a different drive, so that ALL of my profile information is moved, but that involves a lot of registry editing.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st March, 2006, 04:53 PM

Ah - that easy (?). Thanks - Ill have a go at that; dont really want to mess with the reg.
Old 21st March, 2006, 09:25 PM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

I'm currently working on an application that can change the location of many 'special' windows folders, such as Documents, Favourites, Desktop, etc. There's currently 19 different folders that can be changed. Saying that, it's going to become part of a bigger tool/set of tools. There are going to be about 5 or 6 different tools, one of which is a component for developers. Can't say anything more at this stage as the ideas have only just been written down on a piece of scrap paper the other day, but i'm working on it.

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st March, 2006, 09:33 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Be aware, skool_h8r, that many of those 'relocatable' folders have to be relocated on a profile by profile basis, in some cases require a reboot to take effect, and may also require copying files.

That being said, such a tool would be a nice thing to have.....
Old 22nd March, 2006, 04:21 PM

It uses registry entries and is based at user level, not system level. It involves no copying of files. It usually only takes a logoff and logon to take effect (except some such as favourites which only require MSIE to be restarted).

Old 22nd March, 2006, 05:02 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skool h8r
It uses registry entries and is based at user level, not system level.
Yeah, that's what I meant by 'Profile by profile basis'. Changing them at the system level (like the 'Program Files' folder) is a real PITA, involves a LOT of registry edits, and is best done at system installation time.

Quote:
It involves no copying of files.
Err..........so if someone moves their 'My Documents' folder, you aren't going to copy their data from the old location to the new location for them?

Quote:
It usually only takes a logoff and logon to take effect (except some such as favourites which only require MSIE to be restarted).
Well, if you are not going to do file copies, that certainly makes sense. But what if they decide they want to move their profile folder from %SYSTEMDRIVE%\Documents and Settings to somewhere else? You aren't going to be able to achieve that without a reboot, I don't think. Or will you not be supporting that particular capability?
Old 23rd March, 2006, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
Err..........so if someone moves their 'My Documents' folder, you aren't going to copy their data from the old location to the new location for them?

Well, if you are not going to do file copies, that certainly makes sense. But what if they decide they want to move their profile folder from %SYSTEMDRIVE%\Documents and Settings to somewhere else? You aren't going to be able to achieve that without a reboot, I don't think. Or will you not be supporting that particular capability?
Since my name isn't Norton, i'm not going to be running any applications in the background to detect if the folder is moved. The user has to change the location through the program for it to be any use. I'm assuming that's what you meant. Obviously, some changes may require a restart, but those are only likely to be a few, if any. The program won't be copying the data for them as actually detecting and achieving this would mean a lot of coding, which coud make the program rather large in size. And running something like that would mean constant monitoring, updating at a moments notice, checking every milisecond, which could use quite an amount of system resources. So no, no 'automatic' copying, you know how long windows takes to copy files from one location to another, even on the fastest systems, it can be quite time and resource intensive and usually, errors occur.

Don't worry, be happy.

Old 23rd March, 2006, 04:59 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Don't worry, be happy.
I'm not being critical; my apologies if it seemed that way.
Old 23rd March, 2006, 10:00 PM

No, i was listening to that song at the time, it was sunny outside, for the first time in ~6 months, i felt happy. Your comments were appreciated, anyones' are.

Old 23rd March, 2006, 10:19 PM
AOA Staff

Is it necassary to actually copy the file data if the target is on the same HDD? Can you not just update the FAT leaving the data in the same physical location?
Old 23rd March, 2006, 10:21 PM

Well Im happy, moved My Documents away from C:. All the rest of this thread is going over my head; ........ but I dont mind. Thanks.
Old 24th March, 2006, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellamne
Well Im happy, moved My Documents away from C:. All the rest of this thread is going over my head; ........ but I dont mind. Thanks.
Yeah, i have a habit of hijacking threads like that, sorry.

Old 25th March, 2006, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Yeah, i have a habit of hijacking threads like that, sorry.
Hijacking threads - you not trying to compete with Chrisbard are you
Old 25th March, 2006, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellamne
Hijacking threads - you not trying to compete with Chrisbard are you
As said at lots of police interviews (as seen on TV of course); 'My client doesn't have to answer that'.

Old 25th March, 2006, 02:53 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok
Is it necassary to actually copy the file data if the target is on the same HDD? Can you not just update the FAT leaving the data in the same physical location?
How do you know if it's the same physical device? NTFS, for example, allows you to mount other drives as folders, rather than drive letters. If it's a network share (for example, NFS or Samba), then you have no idea if the folders are on the same disk, or across several disks.
Old 26th March, 2006, 10:44 AM

I presume that question was for me.This is designed for home users and is only designed to be used by users who know whether their documents are on the same disk or not. Saying that, it only changes the location within the registry so no need to change any of the files in either original, or new location. It doesn't even access the files. Like i said, it is designed for users who know what they're doing. If they mess it up, it is due to entering an invalid folder name and i hold no responsibility if they do mess up their computer.