AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 26th November, 2006, 11:26 PM

Format

Here's the deal;

Strat my upgrade, install new psu(Zippy 6600), new cpu(Opteron 175x2), install H&F (freezer64 Pro), so far so good.

Install a new copy of WXPH(well trying to). At first when formating it won't go above 11mb and thaen saids to choose another partion to install WXP. The original partition is 70Gb (WD Raptor 74Gb/10K) not new. Never the less proceed to create another partition of 35486Mb (x2), this time goes to 20Mb. Deletedboth partition and create one of 2000 Mb another of 68000. I get one of 8Mb and this other two. This time goes to 23Mb and do the same thing. Now no matter what I do T't won't pass 20Mb and then ask for another partition to install xp.

Run out of ideas , everything is wellcome!!!

Darn you Bill.

ASUS G73 SW, IE7, 20 GB DD3 ram

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th November, 2006, 12:11 AM

Could be your HDDs partition table is confused - most drive manufacturers provide a utility to clear this. For some reason this has happened to me most with Maxtor drives but to be fair some partition resize tools seem to have brought this on !
Old 27th November, 2006, 12:15 AM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

For Seagate drives, there's a tool for installing drives correctly. I dare say WD have a similar tool at their website somewhere.

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th November, 2006, 07:54 PM

Use a third party utility, reformat the HDD and nothing. Fill the drive with zeros (delete all files for good) and then is start up the installation as it should be. This last for about 5-8 min. and then stop the xp installation. I'm thinking of changing the name of the tread to "another xp nightmare"

Somebody please shoot me!!!

AOA Team fah
Old 27th November, 2006, 08:39 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Do you have a boot disk you can format to .

Go to bootdisk.com and DL a 98 version or something and fdisk and format from that. If it gets that far you might be able to go ahead with your XP install.

Are you sure your disk is ok. I had to make a copy of my original xp pro disk because it would hand during the install. The copy works fine. I just keep my original put up in a safe place.
Old 28th November, 2006, 03:58 AM

The nightmare continues

Well finally get the xp to install. But now the darn thing is asking for a password that didn't exist. It's said "Owner ______________(password)
Guess ______________ (password)"

I have a password before this installation but only use it in recovery console when asked. Never the less put it in the blank and nothing. Also try all the password I have in my notebook same thing.I really don't know where this come from. Lock out of my rig

The good news: so far no problems with the dual core. Update the bios before installing. Idle temps; MB- 30C, CPU- 33C, off load of course.

Any ideas???

AOA Team fah
Old 28th November, 2006, 04:28 AM

Is it XP Pro or home?

XP pro----press ctrl, Alt, del twice and type administrator and leave password blank

XP home---boot into safe mode and select administrator to log in

Blow away all passwords after you get in.

Last edited by Samuknow; 28th November, 2006 at 04:29 AM.
Old 28th November, 2006, 05:00 AM

Hi Sam

It is home. Try it but didn't work. Keep asking for a password. Do a clear CMOS also.

"Logon message

The system cannot log you on due to the following error:

The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.

Please try again or consult your sys. adm."

AOA Team fah
Old 28th November, 2006, 03:02 PM

And this is after a fresh format and install?

the install may have skipped the final setup sequence where it asks for a user name and such. You may try a repair or reformat. It would not be the first botched XP install I have experienced.
Old 29th November, 2006, 08:15 AM

That's right but the madness doesn't stop there. I drop the raptor and use the caviar 250se. It install but as you already know start asking for a non existing password. Reformat and try again...nada. Drop the caviar and pick a hitachi deckstar...this time it not even install. Reformat the deskstar and...nada. Change all the sata cables and the order of hdd. Use one by one (single hdd) and ...nada. Now it don't want to boot up. Not even post.

It could be said that I'm a little piss off(is this expression right? I hear Christ is baning people(Gizmo) from the forums).

I think gona take a break from the upgrade and work on another Dell a friend brings me.

AOA Team fah

Last edited by Strongwolf; 29th November, 2006 at 08:16 AM.
Old 30th November, 2006, 12:04 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

That's... odd.

I was going to say that maybe the HDD was on the way out, but you have tried many so that isn't really a likely cause anymore. Can you try another PSU? That might be the problem, or, if you are unlucky the motherboard could be naffed.

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Old 30th November, 2006, 01:11 PM

proper term...lol. I would be too.

Did you make a copy of your XP cd?

I would try this. I still cannot install from my original CD. Keeps hanging and skips files. The copy works great every time. Give it a try. Nothing to loose at this point.

And yes, Chris has gone on a little power trip. That's ok. He will soon come to his senses. We usually just over look these things from him. lol