AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 3rd December, 2006, 01:40 AM

Microsoft fixes biggest security hole

Earlier this week, Microsoft made a vast improvement to the security of their internet browsing software. This improvement to Internet Explorer 6 (dubbed Internet Explorer 7 by the industry) effectively blocks hacking and phishing attempts, and even takes some steps towards protecting the system from user stupidity.

A Microsoft representative said, "With this update to Internet Explorer, we have concentrated on Security from the start. By preventing Internet Explorer 7 from running, users are protected from hackers, phishing attacks and leet speak."

When asked to comment, a user who recently upgraded found that "I installed the new Internet Explorer 7 and now I feel much safer. It refuses to run at all, so there is no chance I could accidentally hand out my bank account information to the wrong people."

A contributor to the open source alternative browser, Firefox, commented "Ahhh! The light! It burns!!". We're not sure how this relates to Internet Explorer 7, but we hope to bring you the latest information on this comment.

--

Anyone else had this problem? I just installed IE7 (just to get rid of the annoying 'you have updates ready to download' message). Then I tested it, and it won't run... brief popup of a window, vanishes in an instant. Thankfully, I don't need to use it (firefox ftw!), but it's kinda worrying that it doesn't work at all... and very very amusing MS strikes again!

Tev

Rig 2: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, ABit IX38 Quad GT m/board, 2Gb Corsair DDR2 PC6400, Nvidia 8800GTX 768Mb. All at stock for now...

Folding for
AOA Team fah

Gambia, oh Gambia,
though only small and thin,
when it comes to being called Gambia,
you're the one to win.

Last edited by tevildo; 3rd December, 2006 at 01:57 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd December, 2006, 01:58 AM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

LOL that made me laugh! Kinda like those odd news paper stories I used to get while playing Sim City

I once had a similar issue with windows media player, and a reinstall (of windows) just about fixed that. Oh, and after I play some source - engined games all videos I play back are monochrome, but instead of black and white they are red and white, leaving everything a stylish shade of mauve.

I haven't tried IE7 yet (hooray FF!) and was going to ask you what it was like...

EDIT= just out of curiosity - which version of windows are you running?

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Last edited by Favu; 3rd December, 2006 at 01:59 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd December, 2006, 02:12 AM

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I'm running Windows XP Home on the computer with this problem... I would have put XP Pro on it, but it's not mine (mate lent it to me when he went to America... he's now joined the USAF i think... i may get to keep it). It does generally sits in Linux, but I recently managed to break that (and I have no idea how... i think mismatched versions of gcc and glibc and such... i'll get round to fixing it soon).

Tev

Rig 2: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, ABit IX38 Quad GT m/board, 2Gb Corsair DDR2 PC6400, Nvidia 8800GTX 768Mb. All at stock for now...

Folding for
AOA Team fah

Gambia, oh Gambia,
though only small and thin,
when it comes to being called Gambia,
you're the one to win.
Old 3rd December, 2006, 02:34 AM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

There's nothing wrong with XP Home!

But there is something wrong with using IE

8 kByte S-RAM

Old 4th December, 2006, 03:26 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

I tried IE7 just to see. Got the random closings and sometimes it would just get very slow. Back to Firefox.

On another note, was forced to upgrade to Media Player 11 on my wifes machine this weekend. Needed a codec and I kept ending up at the MP11 site. So wht the hey I will give it a try. Seems ok so I'll try it on my machine. Let the problems begin. Shuddering during song and video play back. I finally uninstalled it. All is OK again.
Old 4th December, 2006, 09:44 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

If MS cared anything about us at all Bill would have stolen Fire Fox or Opera long ago!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 4th December, 2006, 09:55 PM
AOA's resident barman

I thought they already had?

8 kByte S-RAM

Old 4th December, 2006, 10:30 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

My wounded heart is on the mend! LOL
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 6th December, 2006, 11:35 AM
Member / Master of Toiletries

Send a message via MSN to Toro Send a message via Skype™ to Toro

didnt firefox steal it from netscape though?

as for IE7... it asked me to install... it was bugging me, i started the install, and it gave me an option "install", "dont install now", "dont ask me again" i said dont ask me!!!!!!

and I have IE7 free PC with FF2 \o/

"Check the Forum Rules Announcement, listed there."

AOA Team fah