AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 3rd January, 2007, 11:42 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Linux prefered for business?

A study of CIOs, VPs, and IT Directors for 133 businesses worldwide conducted by Saugatuck Research suggests that by 2012 nearly half of all enterprises will be running mission critical applications on Linux, according to Techworld. The study also suggests a steep rise in Linux adoption.

Read more on the Front Page:
http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/content/view/1548/2/
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd January, 2007, 11:52 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

From what I'm reading elsewhere Vista will most likely add fuel to this trend.... Not well liked at all..
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Last edited by Daniel ~; 4th January, 2007 at 09:36 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th January, 2007, 01:56 AM
Steve Jobs

There's desktop progress as well. Right now Beryl on AIGLX is the most advanced, flexible and beautiful desktop environment there is. I've been using fedora now for a long time, and never intend to go back. Not only does it give me the power, control and reliability that I need, but its constantly evolving and improving every month. Nothing develops and changes that fast.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 4th January, 2007, 02:46 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

This is good news. Those creeps in Redmond MUST be made to suffer. Smiley face my butt.
Old 4th January, 2007, 04:21 PM

Send a message via MSN to saquib

im a linux fanboy, but must say... windows does have the flexibility and somewhat a sense of reliability: like even if everythign crashes, there are hopes of getting imp stuffs out if needed and is less buggy than many linux apps (esp beryl or compiz). with windows, no matter what goes wrong i know unless there's physical damage i can pretty much solve anything, or never lose anythign imp... given that, even after years of experience and so in depth knowledge on linux, there are still issues that i face at least every 2 months or so that are really weird and sometimes very difficult to solve. if affordibility is not the issue, probably windows still have a mush stronger edge over many features. to me, linux is like a very cool, cplex jet plane - which is definately nice to have but might give unusual trouble.... windows is a much simpler, like a car: it also does give trouble but far less, and are indeed a little bit more flexible. linux is for ppl like us more, who changes somethign everyday, and loves customization, not sure thats what is imp in business.

Winchester S939 3500+ on MSI K8N NF4-SLI Platinum
4 x 512 MB TwinMos (DDR400:CL2.5)
MSI nVidia 7800GTX, SB Audigy 2 ZS
Samsung 2ms 3000:1 DV-I LCD @ 1680x1050
2x80GB IDE7200RPM + LG24XCDRW + LiteON16X DVD
ENERMAX 460w PSU
Xbox 360 Premium
NAD C320BEE, Yamaha RXV7300 DSP
Windows XP 64 Bit Edition, Ubuntu on XGL
Old 4th January, 2007, 06:52 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Linux..."I am only waiting for a real desktop to arrive." ":O}

Running W2K, I'm pretty confident that by the time I can't use it in a practical computing environment, Linux will save me, or Goggle or yahoo, someone will save me because Bill is evil and we are not! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 4th January, 2007 at 09:44 PM.
Old 4th January, 2007, 09:34 PM

And Google is not?

At least M$ doesnt pretend ...

AOA Team fah
Old 4th January, 2007, 09:42 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yan
And Goggle is not?

At least M$ doesn't pretend ...
Goggle is perhaps going to be Bill's bigger, meaner, uglier, brother! ":O}

But if we can arrange to get them at each others throats in a meaningful way....":O}
Always good to hear from you Yan!
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 4th January, 2007, 10:09 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yan
And Google is not?

At least M$ doesnt pretend ...
I would argue that Google are not yet at the level of MS.

Human nature being what it is, though, I fully expect that will change. The Google execs don't yet have the same amount of experience at being greedy that Uncle Bill does.
Old 4th January, 2007, 10:23 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

If only greed were a rare talent hey? ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 4th January, 2007, 11:04 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

We're just fortunate that most of us don't have the opportunity to let it run rampant.
Old 4th January, 2007, 11:15 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Ya, boy, am I lucky! LOL
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 5th January, 2007, 11:15 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
Not only does it give me the power, control and reliability that I need, but its constantly evolving and improving every month. Nothing develops and changes that fast.
That's a really big turn off for medium to large businesses. I've worked for companies where IT suppliers have to guarantee that they will be able to supply the identical kit for the next three years. Why? To prevent mismatching software and hardware at the desktop level. When there's different platforms to support, the cost of supporting them goes up rapidly.

Instead, companies prefer their platform to be stable, rather than rapidly evolving. Generally, Linux doesn't seem to have caught on to this fact yet, which is perhaps why Linux doesn't have a large desktop role in business?
Old 5th January, 2007, 08:47 PM
Steve Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
That's a really big turn off for medium to large businesses. I've worked for companies where IT suppliers have to guarantee that they will be able to supply the identical kit for the next three years. Why? To prevent mismatching software and hardware at the desktop level. When there's different platforms to support, the cost of supporting them goes up rapidly.

Instead, companies prefer their platform to be stable, rather than rapidly evolving. Generally, Linux doesn't seem to have caught on to this fact yet, which is perhaps why Linux doesn't have a large desktop role in business?
That's why I use Fedora Core for my desktop, which is a constantly evolving product, and RHEL for all of the servers I run. RHEL is just that, a stable enterprise operating system with a very long product cycle, and it works.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles