AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st February, 2007, 04:52 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Vista doesn't trill..

Written by Daniel
Thursday, 01 February 2007

That $200 Windows XP service pack called Vista
C/Net

By Robert Vamosi
Senior editor, CNET Reviews
January 29, 2007

More than five years after the release of Windows XP, Windows Vista has arrived. The party line out of Redmond is that "Windows Vista is Microsoft's most secure platform to date," and you won't find anyone at Microsoft saying otherwise. But saying it's Microsoft's most secure operating system isn't saying that Windows Vista is the most secure operating system on the market today. No one can say that, I suspect, but Microsoft is really sensitive about security, saying that security is one of the main pillars that support a user's decision to upgrade to Windows Vista. Unfortunately for most home users, the actual security features in Windows Vista Home Basic and Home Premium will amount to little more than a pillar of salt.....

Front Page
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd February, 2007, 04:13 AM
AOA Staff

But, it does come in a nice new box and you can see the desktop through the border of the windows (if you paid enough for that).

Plus, your PC will slow down to a more relaxed pace. Who wants to go faster anyway?

Also, it prevents me from robbing money from Hollywood. They need all the money they can get, cocaine isn't as strong as it used to be.
Old 2nd February, 2007, 10:16 AM
Team 45 Folder

Send a message via MSN to Got EpOx Send a message via Skype™ to Got EpOx

I've been tempted to upgrade to Vista but i think i'll let my friends test it out first, it's really painful to leave XP behind....i think i'll stay!
232GB Western Digital 'My Book' External HDD USB 2.0
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
Intel GMA 950 Onboard Video
Want to make a difference without leaving your chair?, then join the AOA folding team today!
AOA Folding @Home
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd February, 2007, 11:18 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

I'm not pro-Microsoft, but that article's a bit off base to me.

Lets see about what they named as missing from the home features.
  • BitLocker hard drive encryption - allows you to encrypt your entire hard disk, until you forget your password, at which point you need to reformat and re-install.
  • Device Lockdown - designed to prevent the machine from recognizing and using hardware, such as USB devices (flash drives) and other removable media.
  • Network Access Protection - is a 'health check' system, that can be used by a server to refuse access unless a computer has met a corporate policy. Basically, together with supporting network equipment, it will segregate noncompliant computers onto a restricted network. That's useful in a company to prevent employees from plugging their own laptops in.
  • Enhanced Authentication Model - enhances and alters the way that workstations authenticate with fileservers, and includes support for things such as smartcards, AES encryption and similar.
  • Encrypted File System - Allows you to encrypt files. It is present in Windows XP Pro. Does anyone use it? I know we've had a few queries here when someone's reinstalled and discovered their files are no longer unencryptable.

I don't think that any of those are very high on most home users' list of must have features. To claim then that the home edition of Vista is missing important security features seems bit too much of a stretch of imagination to me.
Old 2nd February, 2007, 01:41 PM
Breakout Champion

The whole point of the article to me was that MS touts all these great security features as a reason to switch to Vista, but home users dont really get most of these, so where is the motivation for the home user to upgrade?
My only reason to upgrade in the near future will be for DirectX 10, and that is just because i am a gamer, if it wasnt for MS forcing me to upgrade for that i would not switch anytime soon.
Ubuntu

HP Pavillion DV9535nr Laptop

AOA Team fah AOA Team files
"Who you callin a psycho?!" Kingpin

Last edited by NarkotikBuzz; 2nd February, 2007 at 01:42 PM.
Old 2nd February, 2007, 04:22 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
I'm not pro-Microsoft, but that article's a bit off base to me.

Lets see about what they named as missing from the home features.
  • BitLocker hard drive encryption - allows you to encrypt your entire hard disk, until you forget your password, at which point you need to reformat and re-install.
  • Device Lockdown - designed to prevent the machine from recognizing and using hardware, such as USB devices (flash drives) and other removable media.
  • Network Access Protection - is a 'health check' system, that can be used by a server to refuse access unless a computer has met a corporate policy. Basically, together with supporting network equipment, it will segregate noncompliant computers onto a restricted network. That's useful in a company to prevent employees from plugging their own laptops in.
  • Enhanced Authentication Model - enhances and alters the way that workstations authenticate with fileservers, and includes support for things such as smartcards, AES encryption and similar.
  • Encrypted File System - Allows you to encrypt files. It is present in Windows XP Pro. Does anyone use it? I know we've had a few queries here when someone's reinstalled and discovered their files are no longer unencryptable.

I don't think that any of those are very high on most home users' list of must have features. To claim then that the home edition of Vista is missing important security features seems bit too much of a stretch of imagination to me.
I would have thought most home users running XP who want to tighten up on security, would be better off paying someone $100 to come round and sort it out for them.

Many people can improve their security situation just by encrypting their wi-fi - which costs nothing.

What do you make of BitLocker? Is it likely to cause problems?
Old 2nd February, 2007, 04:26 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarkotikBuzz
The whole point of the article to me was that MS touts all these great security features as a reason to switch to Vista, but home users dont really get most of these, so where is the motivation for the home user to upgrade?
My only reason to upgrade in the near future will be for DirectX 10, and that is just because i am a gamer, if it wasnt for MS forcing me to upgrade for that i would not switch anytime soon.
Most people are going to upgrade just because it looks cool and they're tired of the XP look. Even then, the trasparent Aero thing is missing from the Basic version. Sure, many home PCs don't have good enough hardware for it, but when those users eventually upgrade their hardware, MS is going to cash in because they will want to upgrade Vista to get the see-through underwear style.
Old 2nd February, 2007, 06:54 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Has anyone come up with a list of indispensable "NEW" Vista features? Something to assess fairly what innovations it brings to the home users desk top?
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 2nd February, 2007, 08:25 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Hey! Guys! That's not a rhetorical question...or is it? ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 4th February, 2007, 08:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to benighted Send a message via MSN to benighted

I'd like to know the answer to that too. I just ordered the 64 bit Ultimate OEM version to install on my main PC.

Buy AVG Anti-Virus and Support AOA!!
AOA Team fah
Silent water cooled system:
Zalman Reserator 1.1
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice @ 2400MHZ
Epox 9NDA3+
2GB GSkill PC3200
Maxtor 10 SATA X2 RAID0
eVGA 6800 Ultra 256MB

Old 4th February, 2007, 08:41 AM
Breakout Champion

I have heard reports that only about 15% of PC's have the hardware capable of running vista......that is pretty low........that is alot of money to still be spent on upgrades before vista becomes the norm.....and i really dont see those numbers rising anytime soon.
Ubuntu

HP Pavillion DV9535nr Laptop

AOA Team fah AOA Team files
"Who you callin a psycho?!" Kingpin
Old 4th February, 2007, 09:46 AM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~
Has anyone come up with a list of indispensable "NEW" Vista features? Something to assess fairly what innovations it brings to the home users desk top?
Alt+Tab now includes desktop!!!

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64
Old 4th February, 2007, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok
But, it does come in a nice new box and you can see the desktop through the border of the windows (if you paid enough for that).

Plus, your PC will slow down to a more relaxed pace. Who wants to go faster anyway?

Also, it prevents me from robbing money from Hollywood. They need all the money they can get, cocaine isn't as strong as it used to be.
rofl

Right on!
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Download here OcBible 1.55 & Guidemania v1.21
Old 4th February, 2007, 09:19 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Azriel

This is just hillarious to me. Bill Gates trying to do a Steve Jobs style keynote speach.

http://www.microsoft.com/winme/0701/...Launch_MBR.asx

The sound quality is horrible, btw.

Quote:

"What kind of innovations are we talking about... we don't have time to list them all"
He then continues to tell you about all sorts of things that you could do already.

Can someone plz get an "Uhhh..." count on this one? I just hear him say Uhhh 5 times in 10 seconds. Need to compile a highlights version. Just all the Uhhs.

Last edited by Azriel; 4th February, 2007 at 09:25 PM.
Old 4th February, 2007, 09:54 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

They asked for new innovations.... uh...uh...uh...":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 4th February, 2007, 10:20 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

I have to say Jobs' keynote speaches are always a great advertisement for apple products, he looks smart and modern and the technology he shows is interesting and is mostly something new.

Gates looks like a highschool teacher or maybe your boss on his day off. Not smart and not modern.

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Old 4th February, 2007, 10:38 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Did anyone else catch the Voice recognition software?
Remember when Bill crashed ME in front of the whole world?

This was better!

You wanted someone to come out and unplug the poor thing.":O}

The guy claimed ambient noise, but several people on hand said it seemed very quite to them....Why do they always have to twist the knife? LOL
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur