AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 28th February, 2007, 06:42 PM
Breakout Champion

Windows question!!!

OK, in a couple months i will be building a new rig, and plan on loading it with Vista premium, but my question is, should i use the 32bit or the 64bit version? I am assuming the 64 bit will be better, but is it? i need to know the differences between the two and which one will go better with my rig, which will be using a E6420 Conroe CPU. Please help.
Ubuntu

HP Pavillion DV9535nr Laptop

AOA Team fah AOA Team files
"Who you callin a psycho?!" Kingpin
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th February, 2007, 11:15 PM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

I've tried out a friends ultimate 64 bit. The only downside to it is that you can't run Flash in the 64-bit MSIE, but there's a 32-bit version as well which is fine. So yeah, 64-bit would be better.

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th February, 2007, 11:42 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

I think they are quite similar, but the 64-Bit edition is rather more heavily DRM-infested, IIRC.

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Old 1st March, 2007, 04:22 PM
Member / Master of Toiletries

Send a message via MSN to Toro Send a message via Skype™ to Toro

64-bit will be better once manufacturers get round to properly supporting it with drivers. Other issue with Vista 64bit is that you cannot install any drivers that are not "signed", i.e. have been tested by Microsoft at great cost to the author that produced the driver. This is also holding back manufacturers from getting involved with vista 64. I believe most of the drivers for XP 64 were written by users and not manufacturers.
Until software and hardware manufacturers properly catch up with 64 I would suggest there is little advantage in having it at this time. most programs that you will be buying will be written with 32bit in mind... bit of a waste getting 64bit if ya ask me (at this time )

"Check the Forum Rules Announcement, listed there."

AOA Team fah