AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 27th March, 2002, 03:32 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Steve

Problems uploading

Im hoping someone here can help me out because I have tried everywhere I can think of including the ISP and they seem to think im a moron.

My problem is when running win98se I can't upload. Im running on a cable connection with a SURFboard SB4100 cable modem. I can upload text fine which is why I can communicate through IM, email, and messageboards but when it comes to uploading anything bigger than say 12kb including a text document its a no go.

I say while running win98 because when I boot into redhat it seems I can upload fine. Now this isn't a problem as long as all I have to do is upload code or files I have with redhat but for the occasional game of quake3 or other windows data I have to send I have to use a friends pc.

Now I have tried the modem on three different computers and it works fine I have also tried two different nics one pci and one usb and they both give the same problem so im pretty sure its not the nic.

This leads me to belive it might be an OS/hardware conflict being I can do things fine in redhat and not windows.

My system specs are as follows:

Gigabyte 7zx-1 motherboard
Network everywhere fast ethernet adapter(nc100 v2)
384mb SDRAM
AMD athalon 1.2ghz
soundblaster live! sound card
voodoo3

My motherboard has the latest bios and my cards have the latest drivers. I have been unable to upload since day one and have reinstalled windows multiple times since I recived my cable access.

As I said before my isp isn't much help. The last guy they sent over told me that the lights on my modem were on and blinking so everything was fine so I have lost all hope in getting any support from them.

I would greatly appreciate any help that anyone can give.
Old 2nd April, 2002, 10:21 AM

more than likely its the cable software.i noticed you run 2 systems but the software defaults to c drive,is that where 98 is?it was on mine.i had a very hard time diverting the software to d drive,but managed with winzip.thats what hosed my system,somehow some of the files still got back to c mixing 98 and 2000 files on c drive i couldnt even get online for awhile.somehow outlook express got hosed along with it so i had no email for awhile.

comcast doesnt support dual boot so i was on my own.i did finaly get it working but was so sick of the hassle i eventually gave up 98 and formatted with ntfs,so its all 2000 now.

if this doesnt apply disregard but should give you somewhere to look.
2x Maxtor 80 gig DM9's SI raid0
2x Maxtor 60 gig DM9's Acard raid0
sk7 with 80 mm sunon
win 2000 pro
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd April, 2002, 04:25 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Steve

Hmm nope. I thought that might have been it so I went back to just win98 and it still has the same problem. Im thinking it might be a hardware conflict because my mother has the same service on the same os with the same nic and has no problems. Im unsure as to what to test to see if it is though.