AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

View Poll Results: Which Office Application Do You Use?
Microsoft Office 4 30.77%
OpenOffice.org 8 61.54%
Pen and Paper 1 7.69%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12th September, 2007, 04:39 PM
Steve Jobs

Microsoft Office 2007 Vs OpenOffice.org 2.3

Bruce Byfield from Linux.com has written the latest in a series of comparison articles between Microsoft Office and OpenOffice.org, this time comparing the latest build of OOo (Version 2.3) to Microsoft's current offering, Microsoft Office 2007.

OpenOffice is currently gaining market share, particularly in the corporate and government environments where its status as a non vendor locked application, and its free and open source nature make it a very favourable choice. If you have not tried OpenOffice yet, download a copy of OpenOffice.org from AOAFiles and give it a go!

Which Office suite do you use? And how do you like it?
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th September, 2007, 04:56 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Until MSO is free, no contest.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th September, 2007, 04:56 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Download the latest 2.3.0 RC3 here in AOAFiles.

Last edited by Gizmo; 12th September, 2007 at 04:57 PM.
Old 12th September, 2007, 05:22 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

I will try this out. Is it completely compatible with MS offerings.?
Old 12th September, 2007, 05:28 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Entirely.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 12th September, 2007, 05:59 PM

I've used Open Office for well over a year now. I've never looked back. IMHO it's the best free program ever made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
Skinny people are not petite in every aspect of the body, let me tell you that
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
I was searching for a synonym for testicles that rhymed with hats

[/FONT]

Old 12th September, 2007, 06:37 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

After initial learning my way around Office 2007, it is definately an improvement from Office 2003 (now for several months). Although the ribbon interface takes some getting used to, I'm beginning to prefer it - things tend towards being in a more logical place.
Old 12th September, 2007, 11:03 PM
Steve Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuknow View Post
I will try this out. Is it completely compatible with MS offerings.?
Typically I use Open Document Format (ODF) for everything, but when I'm at university, they still don't have OOo installed on their machines, so to print anything, I need to convert it to Microsoft .doc format.

To do that, I just go File -> Save As -> change file type to Word 97/2000/XP .doc format, and save.

Comes out perfectly when you then open it in word. Interestingly though, Office 2007 is not supported at this university in any way, and if you're files are in Office 2007 format, you need to source your own 3rd party converter if you wish to print here.

So in short, its more compatible with Microsoft's offerings, than Microsoft's offerings are compatible with Microsoft's offerings.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles

Last edited by dsio; 12th September, 2007 at 11:04 PM.
Old 13th September, 2007, 04:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to funnyperson1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio View Post
Typically I use Open Document Format (ODF) for everything, but when I'm at university, they still don't have OOo installed on their machines, so to print anything, I need to convert it to Microsoft .doc format.

To do that, I just go File -> Save As -> change file type to Word 97/2000/XP .doc format, and save.

Comes out perfectly when you then open it in word. Interestingly though, Office 2007 is not supported at this university in any way, and if you're files are in Office 2007 format, you need to source your own 3rd party converter if you wish to print here.

So in short, its more compatible with Microsoft's offerings, than Microsoft's offerings are compatible with Microsoft's offerings.
How so? If you use Office2007 you also Save As-> Word 97-2003 document. Seems like the same process to me, I don't see how OO is more compatible with older word formats, perhaps it is as compatible.

I dunno when I used OO in Linux more complicated Office documents didn't exactly come out 100% correctly.

The interface is in OO is very cluttered and just looks old school. I am one of the fans of the new Office 2007 UI, it puts a lot of features that I never really used much before into plain view.

Another strong point of Word is its strong integration with Exce and other Office apps. When I copy a chart from excel, I can manipulate a lot of features on that chart whereas in previous versions it was basically a picture you could resize.
2GB Crucial Ballistix 6400@ DDR2 1000 C5
Geforce 7900GS
2x160gig hdd with WinXP, Vista, and Ubuntu
member of FOLDING@HOME team 32
Latitude D620 with XP, Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon
Old 13th September, 2007, 12:18 PM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnyperson1 View Post
How so? If you use Office2007 you also Save As-> Word 97-2003 document. Seems like the same process to me, I don't see how OO is more compatible with older word formats, perhaps it is as compatible.
When you save as office document 2003, its not actually the same. It still process images differently. Some companies wont take submissions from office 07 no matter the format.

Quote:
I dunno when I used OO in Linux more complicated Office documents didn't exactly come out 100% correctly.
Sometimes they don't when you save them as office doc files. I haven't had a single problem saving them as open documents.

When I submit things via email, the lecturers are told if they don't have it, then open it in a browser, and they can print it from there.

I only once had a lecturer tell me I couldn't use it, I must use MS Office. I let him know I had a full time job and family to support. If he was willing to cough up the price ~$1200 NZ for pro (~$600 US) and that again for XP as I use Linux and OO, or the cost of me going in and doing it when they were open and I was at work that was ok by me.

Uni also states that they fully support open standards, so he didn't really have a leg to stand on anyway.

Quote:
The interface is in OO is very cluttered and just looks old school. I am one of the fans of the new Office 2007 UI, it puts a lot of features that I never really used much before into plain view.

Another strong point of Word is its strong integration with Exce and other Office apps. When I copy a chart from excel, I can manipulate a lot of features on that chart whereas in previous versions it was basically a picture you could resize.

I'm not a big fan on the new interface. I personally don't like the slapped together half arsed job it looks and feels like in either vista or office 07.

As for manipulation in older versions (OO or MSO) never had a problem between them.

OO has 1 thing going for them that overwhelmes anything MS has put out - IT IS FREE

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
- Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
2 x SanDisk Extreme 120GB RAID 0
Western Digital Green 3TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H
Old 13th September, 2007, 12:36 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

OO can't work with certain macros within Excel SS, thus for some price offers I have to deal with, I need MSO.

PS you should've enable multi votes since I (as many others) use both Office and OO.
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Last edited by chrisbard; 13th September, 2007 at 12:38 PM.
Old 13th September, 2007, 01:06 PM

Stupid question. Are there any other English versions of OO other than US English?

Last edited by Áedán; 13th September, 2007 at 01:07 PM.
Old 13th September, 2007, 01:26 PM

The answer appears to be not yet for UK English. Will OpenOffice ever be able to import Word documents without getting bits of formatting wrong?
Old 13th September, 2007, 02:27 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán View Post
Will OpenOffice ever be able to import Word documents without getting bits of formatting wrong?
Depends. Will MS ever properly document the .DOC format so that people can build implementations of it?
Old 13th September, 2007, 02:32 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
If you use Office2007 you also Save As-> Word 97-2003 document.
True enough, except that (true to Microsoft form), you have to actually CHOOSE to save in that format. In other words, when someone using Office 2007 saves a document, they are likely just going to hit 'Save', not 'Save As'. The consequence is going to be that a lot of companies are going to be forced to move to Office 2K7 whether they want to or not, just to avoid the hassle of getting Office documents in a format they can't use.

Now, here's a question for you:

Do you really, REALLY think that Microsoft doesn't know that?

Here's another question for you:
Why do you suppose Microsoft designed the software that way?

Here's yet another question for you:
Do you really, REALLY believe that the nifty new things that you can do in Office 2K7 actually REQUIRED a new file format to implement?
Old 13th September, 2007, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
True enough, except that (true to Microsoft form), you have to actually CHOOSE to save in that format. In other words, when someone using Office 2007 saves a document, they are likely just going to hit 'Save', not 'Save As'.
Yes, by default Office 2K7 saves in it's native format. Oddly enough, just about all applications do this, including OpenOffice.

However Office 2K7 can be configured to save in another format by default (such as 97-2003 format or RTF). Yes, this does require a setting to be changed. No, this isn't hard (Options -> Save and change the save format) and becomes the default format saved from that point on. Staged migration? Not a problem.

Here's a question:
Why do you suppose Sun/IBM/A.N.OtherDeveloper designed the software that way?

The new Word 2K7 format saves considerable space, especially when graphics are embedded. Is that not a reason to use it over the older versions?
Old 13th September, 2007, 04:14 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Here's a question:
Why do you suppose Sun/IBM/A.N.OtherDeveloper designed the software that way?
Fair enough. But I don't pay for Open Office. I DO pay for MS Office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
The new Word 2K7 format saves considerable space, especially when graphics are embedded. Is that not a reason to use it over the older versions?
I have to challenge that Microsoft's primary purpose in making the new format the default was to save space; I really do. Particularly given MS's history. I've been the rounds on this format thing before, way back when Office '97 came out and everybody was still using Word '95 and getting documents in Word '97 format caused no end of headaches. And I've been the rounds on every version of Office since then.

How many users of Office 2K7 are going to know about the ability to change the default? How many users of Office 2K7 are even going to be aware of the impact their simple 'Save' choice is going to have on people using older versions of the software?

Here's another one for you:
Do you know that I don't even have the OPTION of creating a project in Dev Studio 2005 using the Dev Studio 2003, or Dev Studio .NET, or Dev Studio 6 formats?

Did you know that BEFORE Dev Studio 2005 was officially released (like about 2 weeks before), Microsoft went through and changed a whole slew of their samples (some dating back to 1997!) so that you had to have Dev Studo 2005 to even open them? Why do you suppose that was? (Hint: It wasn't to help the consumer!)

Last edited by Gizmo; 13th September, 2007 at 04:14 PM.
Old 13th September, 2007, 04:36 PM

Well, the save files in this format option isn't exactly hidden away in a deep nest of menus unlike previously. I also deliberately didn't state that saving space was Microsoft's primary reason. On the other hand, the 2K7 format is a significant departure from the binary filestructures that there were before.

However, this discussion was not about Dev Studio, but the Office Suite.
Old 13th September, 2007, 06:54 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
However, this discussion was not about Dev Studio, but the Office Suite.
Goes to show a pattern of behavior, your Honor.
Old 13th September, 2007, 07:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to funnyperson1

The new MS Office format is superior to the old one. Sure a lot of the motivation in creating a new format was to encourage people to buy the new Office.

However as a format it is far more open than the old Office format. While its not completely open like ODT is, its still far better than .doc.

Also Microsoft offers a compatibility pack download that allows Office2003 to open and edit 2007 formats.
2GB Crucial Ballistix 6400@ DDR2 1000 C5
Geforce 7900GS
2x160gig hdd with WinXP, Vista, and Ubuntu
member of FOLDING@HOME team 32
Latitude D620 with XP, Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon