AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18th September, 2007, 04:40 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

An Idiot’s Tale of Choosing a Linux Distro

David Risley
PC Mechanic

I am a long-time Windows user. I started using Windows back with Windows 3.1. I went through 95, 98, served a brief prison sentence with Windows ME, moved to 2000, then XP, and now Vista. So, I’ve pretty much used them all. The newest incarnation (Vista) is a mixed bag, to say the least. On my notebook computer, Vista runs pretty well. On my desktop, it can be an annoying experience. I am actually contemplating bringing the desktop BACK to Windows XP Media Center (which is what it originally came with). Windows XP is SO much more dependable.

Read more on the Front Page:
http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/content/view/3153/2/
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th September, 2007, 07:26 AM
Steve Jobs

"Linux is a different world, and quite frankly, I didn’t WANT it to be that different. If I have to open up Terminal and type anything into a command line, I’m angry. This is 2007, guys, and I see no reason why I should have to do anything by command line in a modern operating system. Ubuntu is the latest craze in Linux, but it is that distro that caused me to have to learn some of the command line functions. It was ridiculous."

Well, he's got one part right.. he is an idiot.

He doesn't want Linux, he wants windows for free.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles

Last edited by dsio; 18th September, 2007 at 07:26 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th September, 2007, 02:30 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Hm, not that I ever have to type anything on a command line in Windows.

Ok, I find that in 2007, I have to use the command line in Windows, because there aren't GUI tools to do what I want.
Old 18th September, 2007, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio View Post
Well, he's got one part right.. he is an idiot.

He doesn't want Linux, he wants windows for free.

That was a good early morning laugh..

God forbid trying something new would force you to learn something new..
Old 18th September, 2007, 03:32 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán View Post
Ok, I find that in 2007, I have to use the command line in Windows, because there aren't GUI tools to do what I want.
That's exactly what I was thinking.
Old 18th September, 2007, 03:38 PM
Steve Jobs

Daniel has used a command line, and continues to use a command line from time to time when needed, sure he isn't writing sh scripts or piping complex commands, but he can navigate, and make changes to his filesystem, manage user switching, update and install packages, and install things from a terminal.

It seriously didn't take him long at all.

Fact of the matter is, back when I had my first computer (when I was four years old), the first words I could read and write were DOS commands, and by early primary school, installing and removing software, moving files around, making changes to my filesystem, and even editing my save game files for Castles II: Seige and Conquest to cheat resources was not difficult.

It wasn't all that long ago that people used DOS, regularly, and tbh bash is alot more sensical and friendly than DOS ever was.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Last edited by dsio; 18th September, 2007 at 03:40 PM.
Old 18th September, 2007, 04:00 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

But, and I am in no way showing Bill love here, can someone that got a computer for internet, email, photos and the like do this? It will have to be as easy as windows to have any chance of stealing a sizable market share. It should be easy to download, install and operate.
Old 18th September, 2007, 04:02 PM
Steve Jobs

Internet, email and photos can all be done easily through GUIs, also adding and removing programs and updating can be done through GUIs.

Terminal is used most often, to accompish things rapidly and precisely, usually when folling instructions. So instead of saying to someone, open this window, click on this, right click here, left click here, click this tab, uncheck that, etc. You can often substitute a line or two of shell statements that do the exact same thing, and can be copied and pasted. Terminal commands often give you more power, flexibility, and are faster to use that GUIs is all.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Last edited by dsio; 18th September, 2007 at 04:04 PM.
Old 18th September, 2007, 04:24 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuknow View Post
But, and I am in no way showing Bill love here, can someone that got a computer for internet, email, photos and the like do this?
For e-mail, web browsing, photos, and basic Internet, Linux already works. There are a few gotchas, relating to games, such as the fact that shockwave doesn't really work under Linux (you can supposed kludge it using IE under Wine, but that's not a very good solution).
Old 18th September, 2007, 05:07 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Terminal is used most often, to accompish things rapidly and precisely, usually when following instructions.
Or compiling drivers, because the ones supplied don't work...
Old 18th September, 2007, 05:08 PM
Steve Jobs

That too
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 24th September, 2007, 05:58 AM
Member/Contributer

Using Ubuntu, the only thing I have found I needed the terminal for (If I wanted to find where to do it via gui), was the nVidia driver install (8xxx cards not supported yet) and to upgrade the OS. there was probably was a way to upgrade the OS (from 6.06 to ? to 7.04) but opening a terminal and typing in:
gksu apt-get "update-manager -c"
was much easier, and it opens the gui based installer anyway.
installing the itunes equiv (gtkpod):
sudo apt-get install gtkpod
no searching for the program, downloading, then installing, all in one hit.

I also use the occasional batch file, and the cmd prompt regularly in XP anyway.

ipconfig anyone?

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
- Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
2 x SanDisk Extreme 120GB RAID 0
Western Digital Green 3TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H
Old 24th September, 2007, 06:19 AM

-ftree-vectorize
Old 24th September, 2007, 06:57 AM
Steve Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob View Post
Using Ubuntu, the only thing I have found I needed the terminal for (If I wanted to find where to do it via gui), was the nVidia driver install (8xxx cards not supported yet) and to upgrade the OS. there was probably was a way to upgrade the OS (from 6.06 to ? to 7.04) but opening a terminal and typing in:
gksu apt-get "update-manager -c"
was much easier, and it opens the gui based installer anyway.
installing the itunes equiv (gtkpod):
sudo apt-get install gtkpod
no searching for the program, downloading, then installing, all in one hit.

I also use the occasional batch file, and the cmd prompt regularly in XP anyway.

ipconfig anyone?
8xxx cards were supported from release, I actually have a Geforce 8 8400M GS 128MB in my laptop. Only thing that isn't supported is overclocking due to the complex nature of the individual shader units running at different clocks.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Last edited by dsio; 24th September, 2007 at 06:58 AM.
Old 24th September, 2007, 07:25 AM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
8xxx cards were supported from release, I actually have a Geforce 8 8400M GS 128MB in my laptop. Only thing that isn't supported is overclocking due to the complex nature of the individual shader units running at different clocks.

No problems with Fedora, Ubuntu had issues, and the install wasn't as easy.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Bi...erHowto/Nvidia

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
- Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
2 x SanDisk Extreme 120GB RAID 0
Western Digital Green 3TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H
Old 24th September, 2007, 08:50 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I'm with Gizmo. If you don't play games and are an average user, why pay MS for that? Fedora has been handling everything I do (Except games) for a month or three now...NOTHING could make me go back!":O}

I may be revealing myself to be covered in ingnorence, but I think the Linux community is going to have to decide weather blocking drivers that are proprietary from inclusion in dstros is worth failing for.

The very day that first guy announces that he's just installed Fedora 11 and it COMPLETELY handled his hardware and offered him a choice of DRIVERS; after which he played all 5 of the top new games... MS is finished as a desk top, face it! Nobody likes them anyway!":O}

I be cool now wit Nvidia, thanks to Dsio. But I was amazed at what I would have had to know and didn't to get my card up and properly driver'ed.

Together we got Quake4 to play very well. But we haven't been able to get non Linux games to run in Cedega... at all and we don't yet know why. I can use W2k, but...that's fading, I have high hopes for Fedora 8, but have what I NEED of Fedora now, I can wait if I need to for games to arrive in a form I find easy to access.

I thought you guys would want to know what the completely clueless guy was thinking.":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Last edited by Daniel ~; 24th September, 2007 at 08:58 PM.
Old 24th September, 2007, 09:25 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~ View Post
I may be revealing myself to be covered in ingnorence, but I think the Linux community is going to have to decide weather blocking drivers that are proprietary from inclusion in dstros is worth failing for.
Read this:
Linux in a binary world... a doomsday scenario [LWN.net]
Old 25th September, 2007, 04:22 AM
Steve Jobs

Intel has opened up their drivers, AMD/ATI has now opened up their drivers, and it stands to reason that in response Nvidia will have to do it sooner or later as well.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 25th September, 2007, 06:24 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
I have no doubt that every step of a Free anything in this world is fraught with peril. Nor do I doubt that the Author is far more qualified to speak on this issue than many and certainly myself.

How ever this is what I would like to ask him! Is there no way to get this done! Are you really saying that Linux must remain virtually unusable as a gaming solution.. or be co-opted and die?

I find it impossible to believe that the People who gave us these fine distros can not find a safe way to bend to help me. A safe way to include the clueless.

There is a need, let there be a way. The whole world is waiting for you to resolve this, waiting to move on. ":O}

I'm the LAST guy in the world to try and say how you should accomplish this. But everyone knows you must or you will fail as a desktop for the average user.

As I like to occasionally remind the reader...I could be JUST so wrong! ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Last edited by Daniel ~; 25th September, 2007 at 06:29 PM.
Old 25th September, 2007, 06:31 PM
Steve Jobs

Dan, right now, Novell has just released a set of free and open source ATI drivers based on ATI's specs that were provided 8 days ago. 8 days is all it took to get something functional. If NVidia follows soon, we could end up with open source drivers for both, meaning working 3D drivers out of the box.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah