AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 6th March, 2008, 04:39 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Model predicts chance of software flaws

Written by Daniel
Thursday, 06 March 2008

University researchers develop model that could save software companies money by allowing them to isolate parts of their code that need more rigorous testing

By Jeremy Kirk, IDG News Service
March 06, 2008
InfoWorld

Researchers from a German university have developed a model to predict programming errors in applications. [Front page...]
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th March, 2008, 05:08 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~ View Post
Researchers from a German university have developed a model to predict programming errors in applications.
I predict that every non-trivial piece of code will have at least one error. Can I have a research grant now?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th March, 2008, 05:23 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

I predict that for every three bugs fixed, someone will introduce a new bug...
Old 6th March, 2008, 05:32 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I predict that any of the four will suffice to bring me down, yet still be insufficent to warrent a fix!
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 6th March, 2008 at 05:33 PM.
Old 6th March, 2008, 05:36 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán View Post
I predict that for every three bugs fixed, someone will introduce a new bug...
Being a little optimistic, aren't you? In my experience it's usually closer to 1.5 to 1.......
Old 7th March, 2008, 03:24 PM

Hmm - back when I was a test engineer, the figure was more like 3 fixed bugs introduced 1 more... Things may have changed of course!
Old 7th March, 2008, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán View Post
Hmm - back when I was a test engineer, the figure was more like 3 fixed bugs introduced 1 more... Things may have changed of course!
Back when you used to do it, you were competent at your job and cared about your work.
Old 7th March, 2008, 06:15 PM

To be honest, it wasn't *that* long ago. Certainly less than ten years.
Old 7th March, 2008, 07:20 PM

It's only been the last 4 years that I have heard business owners that I deal with really complaining about the quality of people to choose from. This in every field that I come in touch with.
Old 7th March, 2008, 08:42 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

These would be the same business owners who refuse to fund education? I'm just saying...":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 7th March, 2008, 09:00 PM

Not really these would be the business owners that hire people that are supposedly already educated for the position they are applying for.
Old 7th March, 2008, 09:07 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Well..."Supposedly" is all you can get for what we are prepaired to spend...":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 7th March, 2008, 09:10 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I have been told that "throwing money at "The problem" won't help... But I can't help but notice that only Poor and lower middle class schools ever even have a "problem" with "how to Educate."
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 7th March, 2008, 09:48 PM

I just can't agree with your point on this one. If a person wants an education, it is available, it was there for me when I lived poor, and it was there for me when I was in prison..
Old 8th March, 2008, 12:13 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~ View Post
I have been told that "throwing money at "The problem" won't help... But I can't help but notice that only Poor and lower middle class schools ever even have a "problem" with "how to Educate."
If simple dollars were the problem, we'd have the best education system in the world. We spend more than any other nation to educate our children.

No, the problem isn't how MUCH we spend, but HOW we spend. Where does it go? Hell if I know. It sure isn't going to the teachers.
Old 10th March, 2008, 06:15 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

We Do have the best education system in the world! It's just not available to your kids! Doesn't it strike you as odd that the first thing the rich tell us about our schools is that money won't help?

Yet the ONLY difference between our schools and theirs is how much they can afford to spend upon them...

BTW No we don't spend more! LOL! We are the freaking pits of the modern world! In both health and Education.

Another rich man's lie. OK here's another one! If money won't help. why do the rich spend so much more on education that you can afford to? Why do they want separate schools for THEIR kids?

They tell you money won't help because on the whole....that's what you want to hear... imho... and it serves their purpose... They are educated and you are not. You go to schools, but they fail in their purpose.

CC you build a a fast car, what good is it with a know nothing like me behind the wheel? You NEED a talented driver or you efforts are for nothing... A good driver separates himself from the pack.

So do good teachers and they go where they are financially appreciated. They go where the rich pay them to go...or did you think all teachers were the same?

In my view, most never even grasp what has been with held from them. Is being withheld from your kids...
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 10th March, 2008 at 06:17 PM.