AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 30th July, 2008, 03:28 PM
AOA Staff

Microsoft to kill Windows with 'web-centric' Midori?

Microsoft is working on a project, codenamed Midori, to create an “internet-centric” operating system to replace Windows.

See front page news:
http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/content/view/4349/1/

Comments?
Old 30th July, 2008, 04:17 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I've got a feeling they'll be late to the party again. In addition, their 'distributed computing' model opens up all sorts of new opportunities for hackers and malware. Given Microsoft's track record with security, I'm not convinced I'd want to trust my data to their system.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th July, 2008, 04:48 PM

Redmond has shown, demonstrated, and proven on many occasions that they are incapable of creating an operating system that is well done, complete, and stable even when it is based on there own work.
And I'm going to spend my money on a OS that has been created on a completely different technology? Yea, right!

1ST * Asus M5A99FX Pro r 2.0 *AMD FX 8350 Black Edition *Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 CPU Cooler * Crucial 16g DDR3 * MSI Geforce GTX 1050 * Antec 650w* Thermaltake V9 Case
2nd Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 Mainboard *AMD FX 4300 Black edition * l6g Crutial DDR3 * Evga Geforce Gt 730 * Coolermaster Dual fan HSF * 500w Thermaltake PSU * 320g western digital HDD

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th July, 2008, 07:12 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

MS offers what they want us to have, almost never what we want to have. The web will never be safe. it will certainly never be as safe as my home computer. I don't want to need a connection to work. I don't want my work on line when MS next screws the pooch.

This is MS trying to centralize what by it's very nature is decentralized...us! They want to be at the center of everything we do....and tax it every step of the way. This will fail. It will fail because...hey, who needs this badly enough to face the security exposure?

And.... who does security better than MS? ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Last edited by Daniel ~; 30th July, 2008 at 07:19 PM.
Old 31st July, 2008, 12:14 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Cloud computing has huge problems for a number of corporates, but especially the financial sector. Demonstrating that confidential information is being stored safely is a lot harder than just taking a vendor's promise that it is secure.
Old 31st July, 2008, 06:32 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Ya know...security wise.. to me...it's almost like MS doesn't realize that there are people like MS out in the world looking to take any advantage...":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Last edited by Daniel ~; 1st August, 2008 at 01:25 AM.
Old 31st July, 2008, 08:48 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Poor, poor MS. Set upon by bullies when it only means well. Yeah, right. It's so easy to hate the outfit, yet they beg for it in so many ways. A*sbites!