AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 3rd August, 2008, 04:09 AM

Vista Agian

With the new build i decided to give Vista Ultimate a another shot. One of my complaints has been taken care of. Very often with the Athlon Xp 2400+ the CPU would be maxed out at 100% and everything bogged down.That no longer happens. Video drivers were also a big hassle. I gave up and went back to XP PRO.
With the E4300 even with F@H there is no slowdown so far. I don't game but I had music playing, F@H, A print job, SpeedFan, and OCCT and I didn't have any problem transfering files from CD to the HDD. [I was testing]
The second problem is still there. Any Nvidia driver of the 177.*** family will not install,will not recognize my video card. The rest are a hunting game to find one that will give me video out. I've spent all afternoon installing and uninstalling video drivers. I'll pick it up agian tomarrow.

1ST * Asus M5A99FX Pro r 2.0 *AMD FX 8350 Black Edition *Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 CPU Cooler * Crucial 16g DDR3 * MSI Geforce GTX 1050 * Antec 650w* Thermaltake V9 Case
2nd Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 Mainboard *AMD FX 4300 Black edition * l6g Crutial DDR3 * Evga Geforce Gt 730 * Coolermaster Dual fan HSF * 500w Thermaltake PSU * 320g western digital HDD

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd August, 2008, 05:02 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Be sure to use driver cleaner (you can get it in aoafile) and clean out the old drivers before you install the new ones.
Best too you.
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd August, 2008, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie View Post
Be sure to use driver cleaner (you can get it in aoafile) and clean out the old drivers before you install the new ones.
Best too you.
I'm useing Driver Cleaner.Net. I've gone through about 8 drivers so far. I wish I would have kept the one I got to work last time! I know it was an old one.

1ST * Asus M5A99FX Pro r 2.0 *AMD FX 8350 Black Edition *Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 CPU Cooler * Crucial 16g DDR3 * MSI Geforce GTX 1050 * Antec 650w* Thermaltake V9 Case
2nd Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 Mainboard *AMD FX 4300 Black edition * l6g Crutial DDR3 * Evga Geforce Gt 730 * Coolermaster Dual fan HSF * 500w Thermaltake PSU * 320g western digital HDD

Old 4th August, 2008, 03:38 AM

I'm going back to Xp- It's the same problems as before. Vista has a driver problem and it even has a problem with it self-if that makes any sence. I've tried over a dozen video drivers and can't get tv-out. I went to Microsoft update and installed all recommended updates, except the language packs. Then it wanted to install SP1. The installation had an error which microsoft knew about and instructed me how to fix. It didn't work. I then downloaded SP1 as a separate program and tried to install it. Same error. Same fix that doesn't work.
one whole day trying to get Microsoft's premier operating system to just do the basics.What a waist.

Old 4th August, 2008, 06:22 AM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Vista isn't working properly on old hardware.
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 4th August, 2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbard View Post
Vista isn't working properly on old hardware.
The only piece of hardware that might fall into that category would be the HDD. I have no clue as to it's age. Vista can't cope with that?

Old 4th August, 2008, 03:20 PM

I gave up on Vista awhile back but, I was using the 97.34 drivers with TV out. Seems it was a hassle to get set up and I had to use the classic control panel.

The only reason I even gave Vista a shot was to try some DX10 games, but I don't run a decent enough video card or cards to take advantage of it.
Old 4th August, 2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccperf721p View Post
I gave up on Vista awhile back but, I was using the 97.34 drivers with TV out. Seems it was a hassle to get set up and I had to use the classic control panel.

The only reason I even gave Vista a shot was to try some DX10 games, but I don't run a decent enough video card or cards to take advantage of it.
The straw that did it for me last time was the Microsoft Update video driver gave me nothing but a yellow screen. I couldn't believe it. Their own driver!
I plugged my XP Pro drive back in. Vista is just a pain.

Old 4th August, 2008, 05:11 PM

Arrow

Strange...
I didn't have any of the problems you mentioned at all installing & updating Vista Ultimate to SP1 with all the Critical Updates & Patches.
I even got the 177.35 Cuda driver to install and works perfectly with all my games old & new.

Keep in mind, the 177.35 driver will only support the 8 series cards and higher!!!
So if you have a 7 series or lower forget it...
BTW, the suggested vid driver by MS is an OLD 2007 Nvidia driver & not theirs at all.

But given a choice between Vista & XP PRO, I'll go with XP PRO because it uses much less resources (Even after Tweaking the 130 Vista Services) and those can be used for my games!

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119

Last edited by MUff1N; 4th August, 2008 at 05:24 PM.
Old 4th August, 2008, 05:33 PM

Some people don't have any problems-go figure-first time I had Vista installed It was with the Epox board and the XP 2400+ CPU. It was a little stressed dealing with Vista. That was as should be. That is a Vista requirement. But all the trouble over drivers is not. That is just plain bad software engineering. They expect costumers to fix it.
I've got all the horse power i need and the resource problem is taken care of. Not the darn drivers, or windows own update. It just isn't worth it.

Old 4th August, 2008, 11:03 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Have ya looked at Fedora 8 Porme?
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 5th August, 2008, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~ View Post
Have ya looked at Fedora 8 Porme?
No, but I took a short tour with Fedora Core Publishers Edition.
That was my first run in with lunux and I found it a little to hard for the self tought at that time. Mandriva was more user friendly And I have been pondering either Mandriva or Ubuntu for a dual boot. I was just starting to get a little comfortable with Ubuntu when i got Vista. I've got the 3 distro's and I do want to get back to one of them, probly Ubunto. I think they have an upgrade that has come out. I've got some other projects to get done first. I've got motherboards and CPU's sitting here from the frantic weeks of my mania and I realy don't know what kind of shape thats in. But I dread getting into it agian. I know I fried 1 CPU. I don't know which one though. If that's all there is, I had a good cycle!

Old 5th August, 2008, 05:14 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Just wanted to remind you that Linux is the poor man's friend.":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Last edited by Daniel ~; 5th August, 2008 at 05:14 AM.
Old 5th August, 2008, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~ View Post
Just wanted to remind you that Linux is the poor man's friend.":O}
beside that-it can it can keep a dummy out of trouble and at the same time quench that part that is always wanting to see what is next. Always something to learn or do or see.
There was a book by Robert Heinlien (sp) titled The Door into Summer. Come wintertime and snow was on the ground, his cat went to every door and sat waiting for him to open it-summer just had to be thru one door, one day. He was right. All he had to do was keep looking.

Old 5th August, 2008, 04:30 PM
Steve Jobs

I didn't even have anything to do with this one Chris, just another sane person giving Vista a go and giving up =P
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles