AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 7th August, 2008, 04:19 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

IBM, Ubuntu, Novell and Red Hat gang up on Vista

The Linux computing crowd smells blood and wants to make a run at Microsoft’s Vista operating system.

Coinciding with LinuxWorld, IBM, Canonical, the company behind Ubuntu, Novell and Red Hat issued a joint statement promising “Microsoft free” desktops across the globe.

Read more on the Front Page:
IBM, Ubuntu, Novell and Red Hat gang up on Vista

Last edited by Gizmo; 7th August, 2008 at 03:46 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th August, 2008, 04:42 AM
Bad communicatio engineer

Giz, your link isn't valid.

1ST * Asus M5A99FX Pro r 2.0 *AMD FX 8350 Black Edition *Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 CPU Cooler * Crucial 16g DDR3 * MSI Geforce GTX 1050 * Antec 650w* Thermaltake V9 Case
2nd Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 Mainboard *AMD FX 4300 Black edition * l6g Crutial DDR3 * Evga Geforce Gt 730 * Coolermaster Dual fan HSF * 500w Thermaltake PSU * 320g western digital HDD

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th August, 2008, 04:56 AM
Member/Contributer

Ah, I get Illegal URL

should be: http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/content/view/4377/1/

You have a 'http://\' infront of that., then no : in the next http

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
- Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
2 x SanDisk Extreme 120GB RAID 0
Western Digital Green 3TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H

Last edited by noob; 7th August, 2008 at 04:56 AM.
Old 7th August, 2008, 03:46 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

woops. That's sorted now.
Old 8th August, 2008, 03:22 AM
Member/Contributer

Having re-read the article.

Not sure how much impact they will have, but I will be giving all the support I can.

All they need to do is get enough people up and running for enough business software to be ported accross. Then there will be changes, and choices. Another OS like Vista would then potentially kill MS.

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H
Old 8th August, 2008, 04:02 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Actually, I suspect Microsoft have finally woken up and smelled the coffee with respect to O/S develpment. While I'm sure there will be a Windows 7, their future development is likely to be focused on a more scaled back and modular O/S, with more emphasis on web-based (i.e. client/server) architecture.
Old 8th August, 2008, 04:35 AM
Member/Contributer

I would say I hope so, but I don't actually use windows at all at home any longer. Not even dual boot.
I just need to find 1 more programme - for lightscribe, to take the place of SureThing DVD labeller.

So infact, MS having serious issues would only help opensource development. But I suspect you are right, and MS have finally snorted the coffee.

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
Asus ML249H
Old 8th August, 2008, 05:33 AM
Bad communicatio engineer

I expect that if MS comes out with an OS built of a whole different structure they will screw the pooch.
They haven't made a single good release yet, and that was when they were working with there own cores and upgradeing. Now they are going to start from scratch?

1ST * Asus M5A99FX Pro r 2.0 *AMD FX 8350 Black Edition *Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 CPU Cooler * Crucial 16g DDR3 * MSI Geforce GTX 1050 * Antec 650w* Thermaltake V9 Case
2nd Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 Mainboard *AMD FX 4300 Black edition * l6g Crutial DDR3 * Evga Geforce Gt 730 * Coolermaster Dual fan HSF * 500w Thermaltake PSU * 320g western digital HDD

Old 8th August, 2008, 03:46 PM

Maybe it's just me, but after reading through the zdnet post and the statement I felt like I had just went through an AMD press release. Outside of saying they will get companies to offer PC's with Symphony and Notes I got nothing. The article was so poorly formatted and written, with the statement not being much better that I feel a Billy Mays infomercial would have been a better approach..
Old 8th August, 2008, 07:19 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Just a guess on my part:

But with visualization , multicores and near infinite drive space, I think over the next five or six years OS will become as browers are today. Eveyone have at lest two and usually more depending on what they are doing and what they what from the OS for a given task...as always, I could be wrong! ":O}.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic