AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 3rd December, 2008, 06:38 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

The New Secure Operating System

Written by Daniel
Wednesday, 03 December 2008
Commercial availability of NSA-certified OS casts spotlight on best practices for securing existing operating systems

Dec 02, 2008 | 03:19 PM
By Kelly Jackson Higgins
DarkReading

The secure operating system standard will never be the same now that a National Security Agency-certified OS has gone commercial,....[Front page...]
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th December, 2008, 03:21 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Green Hills Software are the only people to have an EAL-6 certified OS. However, they're not the only people who have been working on it. Lynuxworks and VxWorks are also working towards it.

However, there's still no EAL-7 certified OS - which is the highest rating.
Old 5th December, 2008, 07:33 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I was wondering to what extent the release of this OS will just raise the bar for hackers....I mean, now that it's going to be widely available and used "Where the money is" Aren't hacker going to concentrate their effort to bring this OS to it's knees?

Or is EAL-6 that good! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th December, 2008, 06:27 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

'Security is not a destination, it is a journey'

There is no useful system that is 100% secure. It's a contradiction in terms, like 'honest politician'.

Security is essentially a risk mitigation strategy. First, you want to try to make it so difficult to obtain some benefit from hacking the system, that the reward is not worth the pain. Second, assuming the system will be cracked anyway, you want to try to ensure that you can minimize the damage that will occur to a level that is 'acceptable'. How you define that level is a complex decision that involves considering how long it will take you to repair the damage and what kind of liability the damage will open you up to, among other things.

Can this OS eventually be cracked? Almost certainly, given the right set of tools, sufficient time, and the proper motivation.

WILL it be cracked? Well, that rather depends on who wants in, and what is being protected.

I do find it interesting, however, that they are touting it more as a virtualization host on which to run other platforms (like Windows) than as the application OS in its own right. If I've got my OS running in a virtual session, and that OS gets compromised, it really doesn't matter a whole lot to me if the host is compromised as well or not; MY environment has been compromised.

In other words, while this could have some value to hosting companies and such, I'm a little lost as to see how it could be of much value in the larger world, unless the applications I am depending on are written to run in that OS natively.

Last edited by Gizmo; 6th December, 2008 at 06:36 AM.
Old 8th December, 2008, 08:05 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Thank you for opening my eyes.":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur