AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th September, 2009, 03:16 AM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

Media centre front end software

Quick question, is there any software, linux, windows or otherwise, that as a media centre, I can have a menus. IE: Movies, Music, TV, etc then underneath TV, have a submenu for each show, then a sub menu under that of each season, and be able to look at episode titles and many have a thumbnail of the the show.

I know this sounds very vague, but my partner is not into technology at all, and I need it simple for her.

Any ideas guys?

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th September, 2009, 03:40 AM

I've been using XBMC on linux, but it will run on windows, mac and Xbox as well. It will handle what you asked for. The few shows I do watch it will automatically grab naming info, thumbnail it and put it away for you as well. Outside of that it is a great media center...
XBMC
Old 20th September, 2009, 07:49 PM

Cool thanks very much ccperf.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st September, 2009, 01:58 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Will a Mythbox do that?
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 21st September, 2009, 02:36 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

I can have a menus. IE: Movies, Music, TV, etc then underneath TV, have a submenu for each show, then a sub menu under that of each season, and be able to look at episode titles and many have a thumbnail of the the show.

Myth breaks up Music and Video into separate menus. Under the video menu are two menus - 'recordings from TV', and 'imported videos'.

Going into the recordings from TV, and you're presented with a list of recorded programs titles. Under each title, you can then choose which episode, which comes with a video preview of the show as well as a textual description taken from the EPG (As you're already digital, the EPG data comes from the channel feed).

I'll see if I can grab some screenshots at some point!
Old 22nd September, 2009, 12:14 PM

Cool as, thanks Áedán. Is it possible to link MythTV to something such as IMDB, so if I rip my DVD's to XviD, can it grab details such as a description from IMDB. I found one called MyMovies, an add-on for Windows MCE, but only works with DVD, not XviD as far as I can tell.

What distro do you recommend for using MythTV for that?

Last edited by Rondog; 22nd September, 2009 at 12:15 PM.
Old 22nd September, 2009, 03:11 PM

At the moment, I'm running MythTV on Ubuntu. If you wanted to run that combination, then Mythbuntu is a great way to get things started. There's also Mythdora and KnoppMyth. I know that Mythbuntu can be set up as a live CD if you want to play/test.

MythTV already handles IMDB. DVD rips can also be transcoded to something like MPEG4 if you want.

What TV capture hardware are you going to use?
Old 24th September, 2009, 07:37 AM

I am looking at a Hauppauge HVR-2200. I am having difficulty locating Linux drivers though.

Old 24th September, 2009, 10:19 AM

There's drivers being written for it, but they're not mature yet. They deal with the DVB side of things, so no analog.