AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 24th September, 2009, 06:30 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Linux garden gets a new GNOME with version 2.28

Written by Daniel
Thursday, 24 September 2009

A new version of the GNOME desktop environment has arrived with a new Bluetooth management tool, a WebKit-based browser, and a number of other noteworthy improvements.

[Front page...]
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th September, 2009, 06:34 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Official Release notes...
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th September, 2009, 09:36 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Yeah, it's great and all, except I can't install the new Bluetooth manager. For some reason, the new Bluetooth lib that it wants to install is missing a crucial dependency, or so it says.

Last edited by Gizmo; 24th September, 2009 at 09:36 PM.
Old 25th September, 2009, 06:05 AM

It doesn't say which crucial dependency?

I never really got into gnome. I could just never get it to be what I wanted it to be.
Old 25th September, 2009, 11:36 AM
Steve Jobs

I've got big hopes for the next version, gnome 3. Not overly happy with kde ATM.

Mind you the fedora 12 sound improvements would be nice too.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 25th September, 2009, 02:03 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

This I like, its like music to my ears ! OMG you guys can soon use BT with linucs!
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 25th September, 2009, 02:04 PM
Steve Jobs

Bt? =\
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 25th September, 2009, 04:33 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

BT, British Telecomm. Because we were talking about the Bluetooth phone thing.
Old 25th September, 2009, 04:35 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccperf721p View Post
It doesn't say which crucial dependency?

I never really got into gnome. I could just never get it to be what I wanted it to be.
It did, but I don't remember which lib it was now. I think it was because I have a mixed repository setup, and one of the alternate repositories was advertising a newer version of the lib than what would work or something. Dunno. Problem seems to have worked itself out, now.
Old 25th September, 2009, 05:13 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbard View Post
This I like, its like music to my ears ! OMG you guys can soon use BT with linucs!
Window's Bluetooth support is appallingly awful I'm afraid Chris. Which is, of course, why most OEMs choose to replace the Microsoft Bluetooth stack with another vendor's stack. That's mostly because the Microsoft Bluetooth stack has minimal support for any useful Bluetooth profiles. It's ok if you want minimal functionality, such as a serial port, or to send a contact or file to a device. Anything more than that it can't cope with. Remind me how you connect Bluetooth wireless headphones to Windows 7? Oddly enough, Windows Mobile can do this quite happily.

Mind you, some of us were too busy hacking Bluetooth and devices connected via Bluetooth before Microsoft even had a Bluetooth stack.

Last edited by Áedán; 25th September, 2009 at 05:17 PM.
Old 25th September, 2009, 07:52 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Oh Christ... One day you will see and hear as you did before MS took those things away from you...":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur