AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st March, 2010, 10:00 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to piccoLEW Send a message via MSN to piccoLEW Send a message via Yahoo to piccoLEW

Windows XP only seeing half the available memory

Hello there,

I have recently done up an ageing PC, the bios is up to date and the mobo accepts up to 2 x 1GB sticks up to 400mhz ddr1 memory. Which is what I have put in it.

If I run CPU-Z it registers as picking up 2GB but windows seems to think its just 1GB =| which is a bit annoying.

Any thoughts?

Also, I was considering using the cnr port on this thing. I have a few questions,
Does the onboard VIA Rhine II Fast ethernet adapter use up the pci bus ( I wouldn't have thought it would not being an expansion card)

Is it likely the onboard network adapter is using up the cpu itself to do the work?

Does a cnr card use up the pci bus bandwidth or is it a seperate bus?
From what I have read suggests that was one of the reasons of the cnr bus to take someof the load off of the pci bus, but will tax the cpu more than a regular netwrok adapter.

The reason I am trying to avoid using the pci bus is that I have a couple of Sata 2 drives that won't work with the onboard sata (crappy via chipset ) So I have acquired a card that is a. sata2 and b. works on a pci bus (pci-x card but luckily its working nicely)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st March, 2010, 10:08 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Post more info dude. Mobo type/brand CPU used...
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st March, 2010, 10:48 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by piccoLEW View Post
If I run CPU-Z it registers as picking up 2GB but windows seems to think its just 1GB =| which is a bit annoying.
What motherboard?

First thing I'd check is the BIOS settings, and make sure it's picking up the 2 GB in the BIOS. CPU-Z bases it's information of what it picks up from the SMBus (in other words, it doesn't do a functional check of the memory). The BIOS might not be registering the second stick due to an addressing issue or other malfunction in either the RAM or the chipset.

Quote:
Also, I was considering using the cnr port on this thing. I have a few questions,
Does the onboard VIA Rhine II Fast ethernet adapter use up the pci bus ( I wouldn't have thought it would not being an expansion card)
The onboard ethernet adapter probably is implemented using an internal PCI channel on the chipset, but this likely won't affect external PCI activity. Without knowing what chipset is involved, it's impossible to say with certainty.
Quote:
Is it likely the onboard network adapter is using up the cpu itself to do the work?
Again, without knowing the motherboard or chipset, it's impossible to say with certainty. However, I am unaware of ANY chipset-based ethernet implementation from VIA that offers hardware processing to reduce CPU loading.

That being said, the CPU loading will be no worse that it would be with any low-end ethernet card plugged into the PCI bus.

Quote:
Does a cnr card use up the pci bus bandwidth or is it a seperate bus?
CNR is its own bus. Depending on how the chipset handles it internally, it theoretically could be implemented as an extension of the PCI bus, but I don't know of any chipsets that do it that way.
Quote:
From what I have read suggests that was one of the reasons of the cnr bus to take someof the load off of the pci bus, but will tax the cpu more than a regular netwrok adapter.
Depends on the CNR implementation, as it can be managed either in software or hardware. However, the whole POINT of CNR was to make it cheaper to implement modem, ethernet, and audio interfaces for motherboards. I rather doubt that any cost-sensitive implemention of CNR would implement a hardware managed interface, as that likely would be cost-prohibitive.

In other words, it'll probably load the CPU.
Quote:
The reason I am trying to avoid using the pci bus is that I have a couple of Sata 2 drives that won't work with the onboard sata (crappy via chipset ) So I have acquired a card that is a. sata2 and b. works on a pci bus (pci-x card but luckily its working nicely)
There's no particular reason that should be a problem. Unless you're building a RAID using those drives, it's extremely unlikely that the drives could saturate the PCI bus for an extended period of time anyway.

Last edited by Gizmo; 21st March, 2010 at 10:50 PM.
Old 21st March, 2010, 10:55 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to piccoLEW Send a message via MSN to piccoLEW Send a message via Yahoo to piccoLEW

d'oh that would help

CPUID info:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../cpuz1-cpu.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...-mainboard.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...puz-Memory.png

both slots on the SPD are the same:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...W/cpuz-SPD.png
Attached Files
File Type: txt CPUZinfo.txt (44.2 KB, 192 views)
Old 21st March, 2010, 11:29 PM
Member/Contributer

I have told the bios to do a memory check, seems to only be picking up 1GB of memory. I even set it to ddr333 and removed the overclock on the fsb but still not wanting to play ball.

Im going to go for a cheap ebay sale of a cnr card. Appears to be an: IntelĀ® PRO/100 VE Desktop Adapter but only cost a few quid so if its a lemon then not too much wasted. image - intel site info CNLA6000

Last edited by piccoLEW; 21st March, 2010 at 11:31 PM.
Old 22nd March, 2010, 12:37 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
I have told the bios to do a memory check, seems to only be picking up 1GB of memory. I even set it to ddr333 and removed the overclock on the fsb but still not wanting to play ball.
Are you letting the BIOS set the DRAM timings? CPU-Z reports that one of the sticks is DDR 333 and the other is DDR 400, and the timings are different. If you don't force the BIOS to use the looser of the timing sets, you'll not get a successful initialization of the second stick.

In this case, it looks like you'd want to try DDR 333 using 3-3-3-8 timings and see what that does.

Quote:
Im going to go for a cheap ebay sale of a cnr card. Appears to be an: IntelĀ® PRO/100 VE Desktop Adapter but only cost a few quid so if its a lemon then not too much wasted. image - intel site info CNLA6000
Ok, but why? What do you hope to gain? ALL of the chipset functionality that you are looking at including the CNR comes off the south-bridge chip (PCI, CNR, on-board LAN, on-board audio, ethernet, serial, parallel, USB, FireWire). The only thing that doesn't come off the south bridge is the IDE/SATA ports.

In other words, using the CNR to replace functionality already present in the chipset is extremely unlikely to gain you anything and may in fact CAUSE problems.
Old 22nd March, 2010, 01:25 AM
Member/Contributer

well currently i have borked it even more and it isn't booting up now >_> so will come back to this tomorrow once i have cleared the cmos.

Changing the timings didn't do much. I'll start to pull out and test each module seperatly in easch slot as well to see if its a duff module.

As for the cnr card,i was putting an overclock on the fsb earlier, and up at 220 windows loaded okay, but when it came to initialising the network card in explorer it would lock up, so if i can get it to that or a littlebit more with an addin card for just a few quid all the better
Old 22nd March, 2010, 08:51 AM
Benchmarker

Dude those mobos do have some problems when it comes to the memory. If I remember right the controller is in the CPU. Try placing the memory in the 1/3 slots then 2/4 then 1/2 and then 3/4. Check in every config see if it picks up correctly. Are those 1GB module one sided? If no go for all the above then u might need dsided 1 gb modules. This is what I'm thinking!
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 22nd March, 2010, 10:47 PM
Member/Contributer

they duel sided memory sticks. 1GB each. only 2 memory slots. And the memory controller shouldn't be on the chip.
Old 23rd March, 2010, 10:45 AM
Benchmarker

Quote:
they duel sided memory sticks. 1GB each. only 2 memory slots. And the memory controller shouldn't be on the chip.
Shouldn't be on the CPU but it is dude. About your CPU;

AMD64 Technology
Yes

Integrated DDR Memory Controller
Yes

Memory Controller Width
128-bit

I have a similar PC (Harry's) and make sure that memory T option is = 2 and not 1 !

Last edited by chrisbard; 23rd March, 2010 at 10:47 AM.
Old 24th March, 2010, 12:46 AM
Member/Contributer

I stand corrected ^^

Not sure what memory T option is though.
Old 24th March, 2010, 07:46 AM
Benchmarker

Quote:
I stand corrected ^^

Not sure what memory T option is though.
Timing look here and see that in this pic is set on 1 when in your case must be set on two to make sure you have no issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Windows XP only seeing half the available memory-dimmconfiguration.jpg  

Old 24th March, 2010, 09:39 PM
Member/Contributer

the option isn't in my bios, however cpu-z reports it as being 2. I have one more trick up my sleeve before i admit defeat. Im hoping it will arrive by friday