AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 7th September, 2012, 12:51 AM
AOA Staff

Some way to convert all audio to Dolby 5.1 on the fly?

I have an Asus Xonar DG 5.1 sound card, and use the optical out to connect it to my audio receiver.

The audio receiver can handle Dolby 5.1, and this works just fine when playing say a movie which has Dolby sound.

But, not so much joy with other surround sound, and stereo.

The audio gets sent in stereo and the receiver just sends it to the left and right speakers. No easy way to send it to all speakers, or even just the base speaker.

Is there any Dolby Digital Live software I can use, to convert audio in real time?

Perhaps, I should just get a better sound card.

Last edited by danrok; 7th September, 2012 at 01:44 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th September, 2012, 01:39 AM
AOA Staff

I am trying to do this using AC3Filter

The ac3filter does send a Dolby Prologic signal to the receiver, but only for left and right channels.

Old 7th September, 2012, 02:45 AM
AOA Staff

I think a new card with Dolby Digital Live will be the answer.

This one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Creative-SB-...6981773&sr=1-2

Or this one: Asustek Xonar D1 PCI Low Profile Sound Card: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
Old 7th September, 2012, 10:31 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok View Post
The ac3filter does send a Dolby Prologic signal to the receiver, but only for left and right channels.
Prologic encodes four signals into a stereo signal, although AC3Filter notes that this is all it can offer if you only have a stereo output. You do need to set AC3Filter to SPDIF encode mode. There's a mix matrix so you can assign any input channel to any output channel, which is how you do the upmixing.

If you've only be able to get prologic from AC3Filter, then somehow AC3Filter hasn't been able to identify the SPDIF output on your soundcard.
Old 7th September, 2012, 12:07 PM
AOA Staff

Thanks!

I think I will look at a new card. I see my amp/receiver has a digital coax input, so perhaps I should go for a card that works with that for the best sound.

I believe surround sound over the TOSLINK cable is compressed and not so great, anyhow?
Old 7th September, 2012, 04:17 PM
AOA Staff

Now I've uninstalled all audio drivers, and so on, and just installed the Xonar drivers only.

I'm able to use the SPDIF pass through now, when playing audio through the browser, i.e. Flash stuff. All channels are used, and Dolby Pro Logic features are available on my receiver.

Seems to be this one setting in the sound control panel which makes all the difference...

Some way to convert all audio to Dolby 5.1 on the fly?-control_panel.jpg

If it is set to 96 KHz only stereo is available on the SPDIF.

Seems that changing it to 48 KHz in the Xonar control panel made no difference.
Old 8th September, 2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok View Post
I believe surround sound over the TOSLINK cable is compressed and not so great, anyhow?
There's no difference in the signal sent over TOSLink and Coax - they're both SPDIF format. The only difference is one is sent as light, and the other as electrons.

Yes, DTS and Dolby AC3 are compressed - SPDIF peaks at very approx 2Mbit/sec, so you can't fit 6 channels of uncompressed sound in there.
Old 8th September, 2012, 02:45 PM
AOA Staff

In that case I'll stick with this card for now.
Old 8th September, 2012, 03:41 PM

Does your receiver only give you pro logic then? That's four channel sound encoded on a stereo signal. DTS and Dolby Digital are 5.1/7.1 encoded sound in compressed format.
Old 8th September, 2012, 04:46 PM
AOA Staff

It has Dolby Digital 3/2.1, and a DTS logo on the front.

If I fire up BF3 on my PS3, then the Dolby Digital indicator lights up on the receiver, as do the little indicators for each channel/speaker.

Same applies when playing a DVD on the PC.
Old 8th September, 2012, 04:51 PM
AOA Staff

When using the iPlayer, presumably stereo.

The receiver indicates Dolby PL II / PCM 48 and the speaker indicators show it is using all 6 speakers, but from a 4 channel source.

Last edited by danrok; 8th September, 2012 at 04:52 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th September, 2012, 05:00 PM
AOA Staff

With Half-Life 2 I can only get Dolby PL II mode, no 5.1.

Tags
asus xonar , dolby , sound card , xonar dg