AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 6th May, 2002, 11:27 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Betty Send a message via MSN to Betty

Planning a reformat

Just want to start with a clean slate....backing everything up...what a pain....now the big decision, do I go 98se, XP, or ME (yuk)...I plan on eventually networking my kids comp with mine so that they can go online...their system is running 95....any recommendations?

(ps, haven't reformatted for literally months and months and barely remember how...hehe, I've only reformatted maybe 5 times in the past 2 yrs)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming... Boy, What a ride!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th May, 2002, 12:41 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

I would recommend XP, but it depends on the kind of machine you have. XP has higher overhead than Win98 or WinME and slower machines would slow to a crawl on XP. Win98SE is also much better than WinME, which is probably the buggiest OS Microsoft ever released.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th May, 2002, 09:16 AM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Is this the system you're reformatting?

Quote:
p3 550@733
If so, then Win98se is probably the best option. iirc XP doesn't seem like an upgrade until you're on the >1GHz league
Old 7th May, 2002, 02:08 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

I have a Celeron 850 with WinXP on one of my machines. It seems fine with it. You should have around 256M of memory though. At 128M, it access the swapfile wayyyyyy too much.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Old 7th May, 2002, 04:34 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Betty Send a message via MSN to Betty

I've got it done...I'm running xp, mrpcman helped me after I had it all set up, told me what services to switch to manual ect, ect.
Thanks Alex, it made a big difference
I wasn't worried about my system not being able to handle xp, I've run it before on my comp without problems and then I had 256 mb ram, thanks to Eugene (Stompah), I now have 512
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming... Boy, What a ride!!