AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 24th November, 2012, 01:48 PM
AOA Staff

Mozilla Abandons 64-Bit Firefox Development for Windows for Now

Quote:
Decision leaves Opera and Microsoft with the only 64-bit browsers, though Google will soon join the pack

Fans of the non-profit Mozilla Foundation have waited... and waited... and waited more still, for Mozilla's popular Firefox browser to add 64-bit support. With pickup of 64-bit SKUs of Microsoft Corp.'s (MSFT) Windows operating system rapidly accelerating, it certainly seemed a 64-bit browser would be just around the corner.
Full story: DailyTech - Mozilla Abandons 64-Bit Firefox Development for Windows for Now
Old 24th November, 2012, 02:10 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Well it's just another browser, who the hell cares about a browser. OMG I am on 64 bit and I can't browse with Mozilla I want Mozilla for 127.5 bit Mintzilla from the open community no support included for 30 years! Can I have that? Can anyone say Amen? What's wrong with Chrome or Opera? Funny coming from a guy who uses mostly IE! Hahaha. But I remember the days of Windows 95 and no other browser around on my computadore. I was happy to be able to read all the hot news from across the ocean same day and hour as it appeared overthere! Gimme a PC with some windows on it and IE and I am as happy as any goat on top of a mountain! /endrant
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th November, 2012, 06:00 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbard View Post
But I remember the days of Windows 95 and no other browser around on my computadore.
Even then, IE was a POS, but at least it wasn't 'part of the OS' at that point. Netscape was a FAR better browser at the time. (To be fair, IE 8 and IE 9 are actually pretty good in terms of supporting web standards, but MS continue in their attempt to subvert web standards by trying to get people to code to IE-specific interfaces)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th November, 2012, 06:23 PM
Benchmarker

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
Even then, IE was a POS, but at least it wasn't 'part of the OS' at that point. Netscape was a FAR better browser at the time. (To be fair, IE 8 and IE 9 are actually pretty good in terms of supporting web standards, but MS continue in their attempt to subvert web standards by trying to get people to code to IE-specific interfaces)
Dudeeeee! i remember a time when dial-up was just in the beginning and only a couple of lucky folks could aford a dialup connection from home, I was going to this IT company just to surf and they were having Netscape installed on all puters. I loved it! Somewhere around that time I remember I bought two x 2MB for my new ATI videocard ahahahahaaha, wtf man I must be old! After a while I traded that card for an amazing 3DFX accelerator. When I got home I realised I still need a video card to use the 3DFX so I bought an S3 to replace the ATI.
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Last edited by chrisbard; 24th November, 2012 at 06:28 PM.
Old 24th November, 2012, 06:52 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Dudeeeee! i remember a time when dial-up was just in the beginning and only a couple of lucky folks could aford a dialup connection from home, I was going to this IT company just to surf and they were having Netscape installed on all puters. I loved it! Somewhere around that time I remember I bought two x 2MB for my new ATI videocard ahahahahaaha, wtf man I must be old! After a while I traded that card for an amazing 3DFX accelerator. When I got home I realised I still need a video card to use the 3DFX so I bought an S3 to replace the ATI.
Oh, dear Lord, PLEASE don't get us started on the 'I remember when' wars. Remember, you are FAR from the oldest geek on here (for that matter, so am I, LOL).
Old 24th November, 2012, 08:13 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Well it's just another browser, who the hell cares about a browser. OMG I am on 64 bit and I can't browse with Mozilla I want Mozilla for 127.5 bit Mintzilla from the open community no support included for 30 years! Can I have that? Can anyone say Amen? What's wrong with Chrome or Opera? Funny coming from a guy who uses mostly IE! Hahaha. But I remember the days of Windows 95 and no other browser around on my computadore. I was happy to be able to read all the hot news from across the ocean same day and hour as it appeared overthere! Gimme a PC with some windows on it and IE and I am as happy as any goat on top of a mountain! /endrant
How wise! to realize your software has no future and cling to the past!

Hey remember when we all used those floppy disks things to load programs!? Just give me a floppy and you can keep all those new CD-DVD -blue ray progress type things!!

Hang in there Chris, you'll alway have 2000 Pro to look forward to...
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 24th November, 2012, 09:22 PM
Benchmarker

Talking

ROFL Daniel, you do realise the comedy of this situation where I am using the OS to do whatever I please or need to do with it, while you are trying for weeks and months to achive some sort of "working for a second" state for some ancient games inside a OS that offers no support yet you are trying to say that somehow my OS choice is the wrong one? But hey, whatever makes you happy, I don't want you to be grumpy and command me to shut up with my crazy jokes!

Last edited by chrisbard; 25th November, 2012 at 09:20 AM.
Old 25th November, 2012, 10:53 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Oh, dear Lord, PLEASE don't get us started on the 'I remember when' wars.
What, like there was a time that Winsock wasn't a core component of Windows? At least OS/2 could manage IP natively.
Old 25th November, 2012, 11:18 AM
Benchmarker

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aedan View Post
What, like there was a time that Winsock wasn't a core component of Windows? At least OS/2 could manage IP natively.
On the Box of Windows 2.11 for 286 "New interface closely resembles Presentation Manager, preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"

Hatsoff for OS/2

Old 25th November, 2012, 02:31 PM
Irreverent Query Chairman

Quote:
Oh, dear Lord, PLEASE don't get us started on the 'I remember when' wars. Remember, you are FAR from the oldest geek on here (for that matter, so am I, LOL).
Heh Bard, Gizmo's right. I'm probably pretty close to the oldest geek here [I know I'm behind Daniel and George; don't know about Aedan]: so I guess that just means that I've forgotten more than you remember lolz

A privilege of seniority. I worked hard for the things I can't remember
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com

Last edited by ThunderRd; 25th November, 2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old 25th November, 2012, 02:36 PM
Benchmarker

Talking

You mean I am not old, ah bless you pap, I feel so much better now, I do!

Old 25th November, 2012, 05:13 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
ROFL Daniel, you do realise the comedy of this situation where I am using the OS to do whatever I please or need to do with it, while you are trying for weeks and months to achive some sort of "working for a second" state for some ancient games inside a OS that offers no support yet you are trying to say that somehow my OS choice is the wrong one? But hey, whatever makes you happy, I don't want you to be grumpy and command me to shut up with my crazy jokes!
Thank you Chris. Linux does make me happy. Linux runs my preferred browser.

Linux runs "Most" of the games I can afford. but to be honest I'm more into getting them to run than playing them. I thank you for being so concerned for my happiness.

Or was there something else?
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 25th November, 2012, 09:27 PM
Benchmarker

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~ View Post
Thank you Chris. Linux does make me happy. Linux runs my preferred browser.

Linux runs "Most" of the games I can afford. but to be honest I'm more into getting them to run than playing them. I thank you for being so concerned for my happiness.

Or was there something else?
Yeah there was, one more thing, all the above prior to the log in sequence or after?

PS JK hope you like my jokes!

Tags
64-bit , firefox , mozilla