AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 3rd January, 2013, 08:10 PM

Bios fail!!!!!!

iv got a asus P5N-E SLI i use winflash with in windows but did not work left it on for 1 hour just jammed up. Im really kicking myself for doing this. I have got the bios 1201.bin which worked ok but the updated bios is 1404.bin this did not update. now all i get on start up is the disk drives lights flashing on start with nothing happen. so im thinking if some one could show me how to set up booting cd to reflash the bios with cd "i have no floppy drive" it would be a great help. both bios was from the asus support p5n-e sli web site. please help...

sabertooth 990FX
amd FX8350 @4.2ghz
16GB 1600mhz hyperX ram
AMD HD7970 3GB asus DCPC graphics
hyperX 120GB SSD
WD 320GB hard drive
1TB,500GB working over usb3
corsair HX850 psu
aerocool cyclone black case
window 8.1
asus monitor 24" 1920x1200 res.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd January, 2013, 08:42 PM
AOA Staff

You have the motherboard support CD?

What happens when you put that disk in the optical drive and boot-up?
Old 3rd January, 2013, 08:43 PM
AOA Staff

I don't know if the CD drive needs to be the boot drive, but you can normally hard set it using jumpers on the back of the drive.
Old 3rd January, 2013, 09:57 PM

no all i got is the win xp recover cd..I'm still kicking my self for doing it on a perfectly working pc i'm the biggest nob in the world. I have put this in but nothing happens...

sabertooth 990FX
amd FX8350 @4.2ghz
16GB 1600mhz hyperX ram
hyperX 120GB SSD
WD 320GB hard drive
corsair HX850 psu
window 8.1
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd January, 2013, 10:16 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Dude, your BIOS is completely toast. If you've got another machine with the same type of BIOS chip (and they are both socketed), you can try 'hot-flashing' the BIOS chip in the other box.

Note: it doesn't have to be the same BIOS, or even the same mobo, as long as it uses the same type of BIOS chip. I've hot-flashed many BIOS chips over the years for friends. You just have to be careful.
Old 4th January, 2013, 01:21 AM
AOA Staff

His board has BIOS recovery built-in.

http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/...8_P5N-ESLI.pdf

Chapter 2-6.
Old 4th January, 2013, 01:54 AM

im not sure if it had a saved profile? where would i fined the xxx.cmo bios profile?? nothing come up on screen do i need something else?

sabertooth 990FX
amd FX8350 @4.2ghz
16GB 1600mhz hyperX ram
hyperX 120GB SSD
WD 320GB hard drive
corsair HX850 psu
window 8.1
Old 4th January, 2013, 11:16 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Don't worry about saved profiles - those are the CMOS settings, rather than BIOS itself. If you haven't got a motherboard support disc, ASUS will happily sell you one for $30 at http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?...ct_list&c=2741 although if you have a suitable chip extractor, it'd be cheaper to buy the BIOS chip from BIOS Chip for P5 Series Motherboards as it's only $15.

Reading between the lines, you might (as in, I don't really know) be able to create a floppy disk image that contains the BIOS image, and write that out to a CD that's configured to emulate a floppy. I was going to try to create such an image, but I don't have time at the moment.
Old 4th January, 2013, 11:48 AM

in the next few days i should get my hands on a floppy drive. iv got the bios
bin file. But I'm not sure what to do next? do i just add the bin file to the bootable floppy drive? never really done the bios flash out of windows so it's new to me. I'v look at the bios chip but it looks like it's soldiers to the board nothing ever easy for me. but i do own up it's my stupid ass fault. I would beat myself up if it didn't hurt lol. I do appreciate all the help.

sabertooth 990FX
amd FX8350 @4.2ghz
16GB 1600mhz hyperX ram
hyperX 120GB SSD
WD 320GB hard drive
corsair HX850 psu
window 8.1
Old 4th January, 2013, 12:47 PM

From what the manual says, it looks like you just put the bin file on the floppy disk, put the floppy in the drive and turn the machine on. Makes it seem simple doesn't it?
Old 6th January, 2013, 11:53 AM

Thumbs down

the mob is dead. have tested a floppy boot disc with the bin file. plus burn to disc got nothing? well you live and learn till next time lmao..

sabertooth 990FX
amd FX8350 @4.2ghz
16GB 1600mhz hyperX ram
hyperX 120GB SSD
WD 320GB hard drive
corsair HX850 psu
window 8.1
Old 7th January, 2013, 12:42 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

We have all tasted this bitter fruit, sorry it was your turn Sasrob.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 23rd January, 2013, 08:00 PM
AOA Staff

It may not be dead! If it powers up there is still hope
I had a similar problem with my ASUS P5N-E 32 SLI motherboard.
One day it just stopped booting up.
No video
No beeps
Just fans spinning and lights.

After a LOT of swapping parts and testing I ended up purchasing a BIOS replacement chip from Biosdepot on ebay and BAM! Everything was working like nothing ever happend.

$10 and I was on my way

BIOS Depot on Ebay
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Linux Guides: PC Games Linux Beginners Tips Linux Games List
Mack Truck Dungeon Of Fire Spray Booth Tutorial
Old 24th January, 2013, 04:20 AM
Irreverent Query Chairman

According to sasrob the BIOS chip isn't replaceable, its hard-soldered on the board.
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com
Old 24th January, 2013, 11:46 AM

It's soldered on the board. Some boards have an SPI connector which is designed for reflashing the BIOS, but the P5N-E SLI doesn't appear to have that connector. That would mean having to solder 5 wires onto the FLASH in order to access the SPI inteface and reprogram it.

See http://fillwithcoolblogname.blogspot...overy-spi.html for some information - although I'd probably do it a bit different personally.
Old 24th January, 2013, 02:40 PM
AOA Staff

Are you serious??!!
My board is almost identical and it has the old skool chip-n-socket BIOS.
That really sucks!
My board would be toast if the BIOS wasn't replaceable. I was freaking out because I couldn't afford a new motherboard and had no idea what the problem was.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Linux Guides: PC Games Linux Beginners Tips Linux Games List
Mack Truck Dungeon Of Fire Spray Booth Tutorial
Old 24th January, 2013, 04:14 PM

It's got CrashFree BIOS 2 remember, so they can save on the BIOS chip. Although it happens to be stored in the same BIOS chip, so overwriting it is entirely possible.

Mind you, the BIOS is only 4Mbyte, so I am wondering exactly what they've done.