AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11th May, 2013, 01:56 AM

Win98SE/XP dual boot problem if >1GB

My gamer is dual boot with Win98SE for earlier games and XP for more recent ones. Thought I'd give myself a performance boost in XP by increasing the DRAM from 1GB to 2GB, but next time I tried to enter Win98SE I couldn't. I instead got an error message telling me to remove programs from Config.sys to free up memory because there was insufficient for Windows to run. Did some searching and learned the problem was basically that Windows reserves a hunk of memory address space as "Vcache" and it can be very large depending on the physical memory installed. Apparently, with the memory increase, 98SE is allocating such a large Vcache that there's insufficient virtual address space left to even run the OS!

Fiddling with Config.sys, Autoexec.bat, System.ini, and Windows.ini was the way all things were done back in the days of Win3.1 when I first ran into Windows, so I presumed there are probably switches/settings that can tell Windows to back off, perhaps pretend physical memory is still just 1GB. Well, whatever that adjustment is, I haven't yet found it and would sure appreciate a solution (other than removing the additional 1GB).

I've tried using Msconfig to set System.ini [386Enh] MaxMemPages=30000 and also [Vcache] MaxFileCache=65536 both individually and together, but no dice.

==================== LATER =======================

Aha! May have found my answer, going to give this a try:

How to install Windows 98 in modern motherboards using more than 1 GB. - MSFN Forum
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th May, 2013, 08:37 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Glad you got it sorted!
Old 11th May, 2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aedan View Post
Glad you got it sorted!
Thanks, but unfortunately not !

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorS View Post
Aha! May have found my answer, going to give this a try:

How to install Windows 98 in modern motherboards using more than 1 GB. - MSFN Forum
Yet another failure. Please, someone tell me how to get Win98SE running on a 2GB system -- surely, the early Win systems were flexible enough to allow this! Why all the "solutions" on the web if none of them work? Am I completely missing something?
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 11th May, 2013 at 09:05 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th May, 2013, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorS View Post
Thanks, but unfortunately not !

Yet another failure. Please, someone tell me how to get Win98SE running on a 2GB system -- surely, the early Win systems were flexible enough to allow this! Why all the "solutions" on the web if none of them work? Am I completely missing something?
Oops!

The doofus struck again (must have been when my back was turned )! While following the instructions in the above linked thread, I accidentally allowed system setup to create the system in an alternate Windows directory, and so the result was still no boot. I added the following description to the linked thread.

How to install Windows 98 in modern motherboards using more than 1 GB. - MSFN Forum - Page 3

So yes, the procedure does work for Win98SE and 2GB DRAM. YAY!
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE