AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18th September, 2013, 07:28 PM
AOA Staff

When you have time Trevor, try using Mint live disc because it allows you to checkout the Linux features without touching your hard drive.
All of it runs via Memory!
If Mint doesn't seem so foriegn, then install it on one of your machines. Make sure you have an Nvidia Card and then join our gamersonlinux.com forum to post your questions.
We would love to help you find programs so Linux can meet your needs.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Linux Guides: PC Games Linux Beginners Tips Linux Games List
Mack Truck Dungeon Of Fire Spray Booth Tutorial
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th September, 2013, 07:49 PM

That Nvidea remark sounds familiar, Daniel mentioned their cards are popular around here. So, I gather my AMD/ATI based cards aren't supported by Linux/Mint? If so, that's a serious complication . I need it to support PCI and AGP based graphics as well.

Regarding Linux questions, here's a starter. Every mother board I've had requires a set of standard drivers for board resources. Are those same drivers supported by Linux/Mint?
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th September, 2013, 07:56 PM
AOA Staff

That is a very good question. You won't know until you try the live disc.
I've had Linux working on many many different motherboards and configurations. It seems happy with almost anything I throw at it.
But there is a chance that you will have problems since you have unique hardware.
Anyways, AMD/ATI cards are supported but their drivers just aren't as good as Nvidia specially older video cards.

I would say for now... just try live disc to get the gist of things and interface. If you like it, then try installing on an experiemental computer.
There is a learning curve when you want to customize and install things, but its still possible.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 18th September, 2013, 09:36 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

See! Just thinking about Mint creates activity! ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 19th September, 2013, 02:01 AM

OK, so I've downloaded Mint/Cinnamon/Debian 32bit DVD live and will see what happens. (Also have the current user manual.) Sounds like gaming hinges on buying Nvidea and that is not likely for me. However, Win7 should be fine for that. Most likely card I'll use with Mint is an ATI 9600 series.
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE
Old 19th September, 2013, 04:01 PM
AOA Staff

Cool, you'll like cinnamon because it kinda has a Windows feel to it.
Most of the Windows keyboard shortcuts work the same too.
Stuff like double-click and right-click menu's are the same.
It should run out-of-the-box but when you start messing with drivers and installing programs your patience will be tested.

Do you mean the old AGP 9600 video card or the new HD 9600 PCI-Express card?
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 19th September, 2013, 06:57 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

When in doubt ...ask! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 19th September, 2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by booman View Post
Cool, you'll like cinnamon because it kinda has a Windows feel to it.
Most of the Windows keyboard shortcuts work the same too.
Stuff like double-click and right-click menu's are the same.
It should run out-of-the-box but when you start messing with drivers and installing programs your patience will be tested.
Thanks for the info, the UI behavior was kind of what I was expecting from talking with Daniel earlier. Your last sentence is more like what I was expecting upon opening the hood. Unfamiliar OS are usually a hassle to get the hang of.
Quote:
Do you mean the old AGP 9600 video card or the new HD 9600 PCI-Express card?
I mean the original ATI 9600 AGP cards. Perhaps also the original ATI 7000 AGP and PCI cards. If Mint has problems with PCI and AGP based graphics, that's a real problem. I've a grand total of two PCI-e motherboards and the one that's built is my first serious Win7 machine -- replaced my old WinXP Socket939 server and video cruncher. The other is in limbo but is targeted as a modern midrange AMD gamer (FX6300, 7850HD, x8 Crossfire capable) and so appropriate for Win7, not Mint.

The boards likely for Linux install are AGP or older. The ex-server I mentioned is my most powerful AGP machine, but I'm not sure what it's next role will be (Auxiliary cruncher? Home Theater? ???) That's the one I'll most likely try Mint on.
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE
Old 19th September, 2013, 09:05 PM
AOA Staff

Yeah, those old cards are going to be a problem, even with gaming in Windows. AMD does not update drivers any more for those cards. You can still download legacy drivers, but you will stuck playing older games.
Newer games just won't like those cards and drivers. Windows or Linux gaming is eventually going to halt with that hardware.

There are still thousands of older games to play, so still potential there.
When I built my newest machine it was with the mindset of using Linux and testing games. Newer hardware definitely has more success with old and new games.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 19th September, 2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by booman View Post
Yeah, those old cards are going to be a problem, even with gaming in Windows. AMD does not update drivers any more for those cards. You can still download legacy drivers, but you will stuck playing older games.
Newer games just won't like those cards and drivers. Windows or Linux gaming is eventually going to halt with that hardware.

There are still thousands of older games to play, so still potential there.
When I built my newest machine it was with the mindset of using Linux and testing games. Newer hardware definitely has more success with old and new games.
Gaming isn't a concern with those boards, I just need them to work properly with Mint. If that's an issue, then Mint isn't a viable alternative.

I've the latest (and most of the preceding) drivers for all my cards and so Win support isn't a problem. Of the games I currently have (most of which are still sealed) the latest is Crysis -- a WinXP DirectX-9b game. DirectX-9b games definitely play on AGP, no experience yet with DirectX 10/11 games, but I can always build that AMD/Win7 mid-range if I choose. Most gamers seem to demand high detail graphics these days and that requires high video horsepower. 1024x768 still works fine for me and I don't need high settings. The gaming side is under control, it's the non-gaming I'm looking at Mint for.
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE
Old 19th September, 2013, 10:28 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

If gaming isn't a problem...I'd be very surprised if your old ATI cards didn't work...at lest worth the try!
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 19th September, 2013, 11:41 PM

Mr Booman seems to be almost exclusively focused on the gaming angle, but I would hope the developers of Mint allowed for a broader range of applications. If so, I would imagine your surmise likely. I'll be giving it a whirl ! Looks like my one and only XP SP3 system is soon to bite the dust in favor of Mint !
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE
Old 20th September, 2013, 12:55 AM
AOA Staff

Actually Linux gaming is a very new focus. Linux has been mostly used for servers and IT support.
So it will really be up to you doing some testing and trial-n-error.
Gaming is a possibility, but we'll see as you start messing with it. Might as well, its totally free of cost and you are free to try what you want.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 20th September, 2013, 02:10 AM

Servers are actually my primary awareness of Linux. I've seen several mainstream Distros available in stores like Best Buy where people are/were interested in desktop alternatives to Windows (I downloaded several via P2P, though never installed). I'm not counting on anything particular from Mint, just presuming passage of time will have resulted in an especially well considered and stable alternative. I'd be perfectly willing to try gaming, but I find the effective Nvidia requirement unattractive. With the Athlon 64 2x I once had two or three clearly more powerful '86 machines than Intel could offer, and although AMD may never get there again, just as beforehand, I remain an AMD fan (ever in favor of the underdog )!

Likewise, I've always preferred ATI to Nvidia, and so although I do check out what's happening with Intel and Nvidia products, I'm little inclined to purchase. I don't need cutting edge. Perhaps AMD will never get back (Intel's illegal marketing practices to sabotage AMD had a huge impact on a small company), but at worst they'll probably help save me a bundle of money, and that matters to me! I'm currently buying into AMD's heterogenous processing initiative and hope it'll make a considerable difference with my cruncher. If it doesn't pan out, at least I'll have a respectable video card for my eventual PCI-e gamer !
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 20th September, 2013 at 02:32 AM.
Old 20th September, 2013, 04:14 PM
AOA Staff

Exactly, keep us updated...
I like purchasing AMD too. My fasted CPU right now is an AMD Phantom II 3-core.
Got it for $100.. can't beat that price!
I'm not a top-of-the-line gamer either. My fastest gaming machine only cost me $622 and then laster I bought a SSD drive for $100
It runs new games just fine... even in Linux.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10