AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 2nd June, 2002, 06:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to Darkcobra

Post Reinstall question for winME and XP pro

I need to do a clean reinstall for my winME and XP dual boot system. It doesn't boot into ME. With winME, I only get a gray background and a few icons in safe mode and I can't even boot into normal mode. When in safe mode and I click "my computer," I get a message that says your security settings might prevent you from seeing the contents of this screen or something to that effect. I was wondering after I reinstall winME, do I have to reinstall XP pro or can I just do a repair command and fix the MBR? Can I "fixboot?" I wish to avoid doing a reinstall for xp pro if possible. For the most part my XP pro works well, thus the need to avoid doing a reinstall. I also wish not to take the whole day fixing my probs! Time is money! Oh who am I kidding. I don't make enough money. Thanks for any help you can give me guys. Appreciate it all.
Old 3rd June, 2002, 07:49 AM

Re: Reinstall question for winME and XP pro

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkcobra
I also wish not to take the whole day fixing my probs! Time is money! Oh who am I kidding. I don't make enough money. Thanks for any help you can give me guys. Appreciate it all.
Lol. I've never gotten my probs fixed in a day either. None of us make enough mulla!

I would certainly try to reinstall ME first then see if XP pro got corrupted or not. It sounds like ther are some security settings amiss in ME but I'm not up on it enough to know what they are. Perhaps someone else will see this and comment.

Welcome to the forums!
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th June, 2002, 09:05 AM

Send a message via AIM to CeleryMan Send a message via Yahoo to CeleryMan

You could try installing on top of the pre-existant WinME, but DO NOT FORMAT you ME partition, if it is the C drive or primary drive (i.e. you installed ME, then did an XP install to a different partition). If you format your primary partition, you delete the NTLDR file and all the necessary multi-boot files, thus making for a corrupt XP OS and a large "head-crater" in the wall adjacent your pc. lol.
Tear on your undesirable cry, the times that we've tried, and ended up making things worse than they were before, ever could have been or thought to be. Im moving on without you. Im moving on without my light, and no, I won't cry tonight..... - OBA
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th June, 2002, 12:04 PM

well, unfortunately, i did re format and reinstall a fresh ME. i reinstalling over the existing os, but i wasn't able to connect to the internet using IE even after i uninstalled my firewall and reinstalled it fresh. i erased my old firewall settings during the reinstall. i formatted my "c" drive that had my winME installed and now I can't boot up XP on my "D" drive. you were right, CeleryMan, can't use xp now. and there is a large head-crater in the wall, next to my pc. i thought i could just put in my xp start up disk and restart my comp. i was hoping i could use the repair option in the disk to fix my mbr, but after i restart and the xp disk loads all the default drivers, it restarts and then nothing. no xp set up screen, no options to install, repair, nada! just a black screen. so what can i do? help? help! help (he says in a Titanic passenger sinking in the freezing water gasp)!
Old 26th June, 2002, 12:26 PM

I wonder. I would like to try something, but i need to know. Is your XP partition aka "D" drive NTFS? Is the D drive on the same physical drive, and on a secondary partition or is it on a new physical hard drive. If you can tell me that, I MAY be able to solve your problem without saying backup and format time. lol
Tear on your undesirable cry, the times that we've tried, and ended up making things worse than they were before, ever could have been or thought to be. Im moving on without you. Im moving on without my light, and no, I won't cry tonight..... - OBA
Old 26th June, 2002, 07:52 PM
Banned

Celeryman is on to something, if you formatted the partition you want XP to reside on as NTFS, then windows 95/98/ME will not run since they lack NTFS support (the "NT" in NTFS requires a windows NT OS, windows NT/2000/XP) and cannot "see" the data on a NTFS partition by default.

I use fat32, the only advantages in my opinion to having NTFS drives is the ability to write 4+GB files to the harddrive (fat16/32 limits the max file size to 4GB).

Last edited by Pinky; 27th June, 2002 at 02:44 AM.
Old 26th June, 2002, 10:50 PM

no the "d" drive is a second physical hard drive. and it's in FAT32. i made sure of that b/c i wanted to swap info from Me to XP w/o any problems. is their hope for my "D" drive? i don't want to reformat it but then again, i have tried to install some programs on it and i get a error message about the "installation application terminated." However, i have installed the same program on my girlfriends windows xp system and it installed perfectly. and as we all remember, my D drive is windows xp Pro. so maybe a new format wouldn't hurt, eh? But i would like to not have to go through w/ all that just yet.
Old 27th June, 2002, 11:28 AM

Okay, well, if you're up to it, give this a shot. Download the file I attached, and unzip it. It contains a boot.ini file like the one Winxp would use to load your winme and xp before you formatted your c drive. I have already adjusted it to the settings you need. Put it on your C drive in the root directory. Reboot and see what happens. If that doesnt work, then PM me, and I have other files that you may need. But try that first.
Attached Files
File Type: zip boot.zip (261 Bytes, 34 views)
Old 27th June, 2002, 07:07 PM

Thanks CeleryMan, I'll give the file a try. However, I have to leave town for a few days and I won't be able to see if it works until I come back. So I put the file in C:\Windows? Is that were I put it exactly? I don't want to mess this up. I'm a little afraid to do things my computer doesn't like, like my reformat job w/ WinME. =) I appreciate the help!
Old 5th July, 2002, 07:43 AM

well, guys,

i'm still struggling over here. i still can't boot into xp. and i'm still getting a black screen when i boot from the win xp disc. i don't know why i can't get the repair screen. can anyone suggest anything else? i'd really like to get my xp drive up and running again! i miss it! thanks guys
Old 5th July, 2002, 08:50 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

NT kernels boot like this...

The master boot record on the first harddisk loads a file called "NTLDR". This is the bit of software that parses the boot.ini file and gives you the options. The NT loader (NTLDR) then either loads a boot sector from a file (For other OSes like 95/98/ME/DOS) or proceeds to boot the kernel.

If you're not getting the boot menu AND you're not getting a missing NTLDR message, then you don't have the XP MBR.

If you get the missing NTLDR, then you've got the MBR, but not the NTLDR menu.

If you get boot.ini is missing, then you have MBR and NTLDR, but your boot.ini doesn't have the right ARC paths.

From what you've said, you're missing the MBR and probably the NTLDR. The only way I know of fixing this is booting off the CD, which you say you can't do. what do you get prior to the black screen?

AidanII
Old 5th July, 2002, 10:15 AM

Hey AidanII thanks for the reply.

well, when i boot from the winXP disc, it starts loading the default drivers for the cd-rom and all of that. then after it loads all those default drivers, it says on the bottom of the screen that windows is starting up or will start up and my screen then almost blacks-out like it's restarting but then nothing else shows up and i've let my comp sit there for about 6 or so mins and nothing ever shows up. i don't get the screen from win xp that says i can install it or repair it. just a black screen and that's it.
Old 5th July, 2002, 04:45 PM
Banned

That sounds like a driver conflict issue to me, something being loaded is causing things to halt.

Have you done a fresh install of ME on a seperate partition ,then run the XP disc from ME but select the "fresh install" from the dropdown menu, reboot, have the default drivers for the XP installation load, then reboot/install?

I have seen installations hose like this, and it's a real PITA to get through them this early in the game.
Old 5th July, 2002, 06:36 PM

Pinky may be right, Cobra, it could very well be a hardware conflict. You could try taking your box down to base minimum. Take all your extra I/O cards out like your sound card, modem, LAN, and what not. Just mobo, RAM, CPU. Then try running setup again. if it works then something else is up with your hardware. Also, if you are O/Cing your chip, maybe take it back down to stock.
Old 5th July, 2002, 07:18 PM

well Pinky, i haven't tried to set it up on another partition yet. i recently did a fresh install on it on the original C: partition. I formatted the drive and installed ME again. ok, so you're suggesting to create a new partition and install ME again, right? then i should run the winxp disc to install fresh, correct? then have the xp drivers load. and then install, if all goes well. if the winxp install succeeds, what should i do w/ my original D: (my xp partition)? should i delete that or something? would i be able to ever boot from there again, if windows xp puts the ntldr file in my c: drive. in other words, if i installed xp again, would the mbr see the new xp, my old xp and winME?

and Celery, i am going to try your idea too and see what happens. this is all so annoying to deal w/. i hate to go through all this w/ the installs, but xp was acting a little buggy too, so maybe a fresh install would be nice to iron out the kinks, eh. thanks for the help guys!
Old 5th July, 2002, 07:57 PM
Banned

Yes, I ALWAYS install different windows on separate partitions! And NEVER use the upgrade feature, even if it's available.
Old 5th July, 2002, 08:52 PM

so Pinky,

if i am able to install winxp on a separate partition, what should i do w/ my old install of winxp? currently my winxp is set up on a separate hdd and is on partition D:. i have winME on drive C. and other partitions hold data files and games.