AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 29th June, 2002, 06:21 AM

Send a message via ICQ to unclemojo

Question Mandrake 8.2 > software help

I'm going to be installing Mandrake 8.2 tomorrow (today actually now) on my spare system. I'm pretty used to using Macromedia software for web design and Photoshop for image editing. I am getting into the photography field a lot more lately, and know Gphoto will support my camera. What kind of 'comparable' software will help cushon the blow for a first time Linux user?

I'm prepared to be quite upset from the get go, just from using Windows and its supported appz for so long and never trying anything different. Is it worth trying to use Wine in getting Macromedia and Adobe (Photoshop) software to work, or am I stuck with either downloading or even having to buy new software to replace them? I guess the question is , what would be a general suggestion for replacing Dreamweaver. I'm a bit of an oaf without it (actually, a big oaf to be exact )

I suppose Gimp will enable me to manipulate my images and clean them up (though not to the extremes of Photoshop), but I may need a suggestion or two in this area as well.

I'll have an XP box running to keep my sanity, but after reading about the Longhorn release and it not being backwards compatible with earlier versions of Windows, I really need to get out of the boat before it sinks.

I read also on the Mandrake site that Mac OS's will run 'in a separate system' *in* linux. From the screenshots available, it appears to be another doorway open leading from the nasty MS crew.

Sure, I like Windows, but not enough to be forced to keep spending all my loot on the OS, let alone the software. Linux is more friendly in this aspect, and Mac support *in* the Linux OS makes Mandrake all the more appealing. I'd just like to make the transition smoother for myself.
Old 29th June, 2002, 06:48 AM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Make sure you install all the "Development" packages. That will ease your troubles when compiling programs. Also, if you decide to use KDE, upgrade the KDE 3.0.1, it's faster and looks nicer

If KDE 3.0.1 is too slow, try out IceWM. It's very slimmed down and fast

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th June, 2002, 03:29 PM

Send a message via ICQ to unclemojo

Thanks for the info Superman. I'm running the Konquerer browser right now and well..this page isn't too pretty. I didn't install all the developer tools, but can aftert I get things set up a little better. KDE 3.0 is in the near future. How's Mozilla under Linux? Same problems as within a Windows environment or is it improved? IceEM is a browser.. I suppose icewm.com? eh...I'll find it. I have to deal with a new install and the beginning stages of a really nasty cold. THink I cought tonsilitus from my daughter...eek!