AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

View Poll Results: Which one do you like best?
GNOME 3 14.29%
KDE 16 76.19%
OTHER 2 9.52%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th October, 2001, 10:43 AM
Member/Contributer

Gnome, KDE or?

Which one do you like the best?
Old 19th October, 2001, 11:25 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

I'm using IceWM. Small, minimal, fast and it fits my needs! If I had to choose otherwise I'd be using KDE.

AidanII
Old 19th October, 2001, 12:23 PM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

KDE, no question. Gnome has always been too buggy for me.

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th October, 2001, 05:05 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Super Send a message via AIM to Super

KDE. Had no space for Gnome

but, I've seen Gnome, and I like KDE better.
Old 19th October, 2001, 05:51 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I've only seen older versions of Gnome. That said, it's an ugly grey void.

KDE is not perfect. It definitely has bugs. But I've never messed with a newer version than 1.1.

What I wanna know about is Black Box. Anyone tried it?
Old 20th October, 2001, 03:40 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Gnome is ****
KDE rox

nuff said

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th October, 2001, 03:50 AM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
Gnome is ****
KDE rox

nuff said
Have we had bad experiences with Gnome

You could start up "Counseling for those that have been emotionally damaged by Gnome"

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 20th October, 2001, 06:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

KDE for sure
Old 20th October, 2001, 06:03 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sfa ok Send a message via AIM to sfa ok

Gnome, no question. KDE has always been too buggy for me.

Anyway, Gnome's open source!!
Old 23rd October, 2001, 07:38 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Black Box seemed to be all the rage among the cognoscenti, maybe a year ago. Do our members really have no experience with it?
Old 23rd October, 2001, 08:27 PM

I prefer KDE, pretty much an arbitrary choice...

However, I'm always thrilled by the "Gnome fish of wisdom"
Old 23rd October, 2001, 08:42 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

OK.... I'm a newbie...
Gotta ask....what are you talking about????
SteveI.
Old 24th October, 2001, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveI
OK.... I'm a newbie...
Gotta ask....what are you talking about????
SteveI.
The desktop enviroments we use under Xwindows, under Linux . . . . these could roughly be compared to the shell under windows . . . .

AOA Team fah
Old 24th October, 2001, 02:58 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Quote:
The desktop enviroments we use under Xwindows, under Linux . . . . these could roughly be compared to the shell under windows . . . .
I've used Linux for ages, and I'm still not too clear - have I got this right? :-

Linux is the grass-roots operating system; the bit from which everything else springs (like ms-dos for that other environment.)

Xwindows (xfree86, x11?) is a kind've toolbox of functions and protocols that can be used to build graphic-user-interfaces that (in theory) are interchangeable with one another.

KDE, Gnome etc are those environments, developed using the xwindows protocols, with any adjustments the programmer saw fit to include to fix bugs/make it easier.

Teachers, please have your red pens charged and ready to correct the mistakes
Old 24th October, 2001, 04:17 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
OIC...thanks dim.
I've always wanted to try linux. I've just been too lazy to try it. Maybe someday.

SteveI.
Old 24th October, 2001, 07:05 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaitain
Linux is the grass-roots operating system; the bit from which everything else springs (like ms-dos for that other environment.)
Linux itself is the very core of the OS - it's pretty much the kernel, the memory management and all that really low level stuff. The other half of GNU/Linux is the GNU tools.

Using your MSDOS comparison, Linux is like an MSDOS boot disk with just MSDOS.SYS and IO.SYS on it. There's no shell, no tools, no nothing. The GNU stuff then adds all the things to make it usable, like shells, tools, utilities, and all sorts of other programs.

Quote:
Xwindows (xfree86, x11?) is a kind've toolbox of functions and protocols that can be used to build graphic-user-interfaces that (in theory) are interchangeable with one another.
XWindows (X11R6) is a bunch of routines for dealing with GUI based stuff both remotely and locally. It's a protocol basically. It's kinda like having Windows with no shell, like when explorer completely dies on you. It doesn't provide much in the way of window management - pretty much enough to get a very basic window drawn on the screen.

Quote:
KDE, Gnome etc are those environments, developed using the xwindows protocols, with any adjustments the programmer saw fit to include to fix bugs/make it easier.
KDE/Gnome/IceWM/SawFish etc are all Window Managers (and more!). They provide all the funky stuff, like the little widgets that sit in the corners of the windows, the shading on the titlebars, the status bar at the bottom of the screen, the desktop. All the stuff you need to actually make XWindows useful. (Not that I'm calling X useful)

Alas, XWindows STILL can't manage a clipboard properly. There's more than one set of calls for talking to the clipboard, and depending on which set of calls a program uses, you may or may not be able to share information with other programs...

X needs a lot of work, some would say a complete re-write, to make it seriously useable.

AidanII
Old 25th October, 2001, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by AidanII
X needs a lot of work, some would say a complete re-write, to make it seriously useable.
I agree, It's not as good as I wish it were. But it's pretty damn good for not having to pay for it. I think they will get the bugs worked out over the next few year.

Xwindows needs it's own multimedia library similar to M$'s DirectX that is compatable with DirectX supporting hardware. This would be a huge undertaking, but would be sweet if ever done.

I think a lot of distributions including Redhat and Mandrake, need to re-organize the file hierarchy, the filesystem is just a mess that makes it damn near impossible to find anything relating to system configuration.

Also, better plug-n-play type support would be great.

A method to load and unload driver moduals without the re-compile BS that is often required would be quite nice.

Linux has lots of room to grow yet, hopefully it gets were it needs to be in the next 5-10 years. There are lots of folks ready to donate the time and energy toward Linux and the various GNU projects surrounding it, but what it doesn't seem to have is an adiquate system of workforce organization, there is no unified vision behind it at all the moment. It needs that unified vision if it is to ever become mainstream.

$.02

AOA Team fah
Old 12th November, 2001, 02:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to SEiZe Send a message via Yahoo to SEiZe

I currently am running KDE on my machine. All GUIs are slow on my box (P133, 96MB, 1.6Gig) but i prefer KDE.
Old 18th November, 2001, 08:57 PM

Send a message via ICQ to GuNRocK

SteveI>>> u should get into it i wanted to use linux for like 2 years but never got around to it... but i have a friend that started using it so i got myself a resource for help so i went and got Linux Mandrake it has the Idiot Proof install like windows98 but u just need to know more about your computer and internet to get it going as fast as possible... i got mandrake 8.1 and use it the odd time.... all i need to know is how to view my windows hdd in it so i can access my Mp3 collection and i would use it 99% of the time.... just some times the radio has bad music on it and i got hours and hours of music i love in windows partition hehe... its the easist to learn u will know it off the bakc of your hand in no time
Old 18th December, 2001, 12:17 AM

Send a message via MSN to Spode

seize!!! I never knew people like you existed.

If I had known, I wouldn't have thrown away that p200mmx board and chip I had the other day! DOH.

on a linux front I've been experiment a lot ut I reckon KDE.

I currently have turbolinux installed which is basically redhat I recon. But I think I preffered suse.

Anyone else got a preffered distro?