AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 23rd July, 2002, 08:38 PM
Phat Spammer

Send a message via AIM to Phat Pat

Linux color

Does anyone know how to change the color displayed in Redhat Linux? (256colors, 16 bit, 32 bit) I want to change them from 256 colors to 16 bit, I think "true color" would kill my Pentium 1. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 23rd July, 2002, 11:12 PM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

First, see if RedHat has one of those nifty graphical Control Centers. If it does, you're lucky; the option would be under display. If not, then you'll have to do one of two things.

1. Find the XFree86 configuration file in /etc/X11. It should be named either XF86Config-4 or XF86Config. If both are there, you'll need to edit XF86Config-4. It would probably be under SubSection "Display" (sorry, not in Linux atm)

2. Run xf86config and generate a whole new configuration file.

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd July, 2002, 11:46 PM
Phat Spammer

it has a graphical contol center, but there is no option for how many colors to display, will makeing a new configuation file be any harder than installing Linux?

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th July, 2002, 12:27 AM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Quote:
Originally posted by Phat Pat
it has a graphical contol center, but there is no option for how many colors to display, will makeing a new configuation file be any harder than installing Linux?
It's pretty self-explanatory. Go to a console and type:

xf86config

Then fill out all the questions to the best of your ability. Then save it as /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.new

Then do a backup of your XF86Config-4 file and rename the new one to XF86Config-4. Then restart X server. If X won't boot, put the old one back and try to figure out why the new one doesn't work

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 26th July, 2002, 09:22 PM
Phat Spammer

Thanks a lot! I have yet to try it, but I'm sure I can get it right, sounds simple enugh.