AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

View Poll Results: is mandrake the aol of the linux world?
yes! debian forever! 3 33.33%
no! it rules! 6 66.67%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 27th October, 2001, 02:46 AM

Send a message via AIM to fireball_87

is mandrake the aol of the linux world?

what do you think?
512mb crucial pc 2100 ddr
sound blaster audigy
120gb 7200 rpm WD hard drive
40x12x40 cd burner
16x dvd
450wpsu
alienware style green case (:

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th October, 2001, 02:49 AM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

What are you talking about

I use Mandrake

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th October, 2001, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Superman53142
What are you talking about

I use Mandrake
so do i
sound blaster audigy
40x12x40 cd burner
16x dvd
450wpsu

Old 27th October, 2001, 02:56 AM
Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by fireball_87

so do i
Do you use AOL too?

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 27th October, 2001, 02:58 AM

Quote:

Do you use AOL too?
NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cable
sound blaster audigy
40x12x40 cd burner
16x dvd
450wpsu

Old 27th October, 2001, 03:01 AM
Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by fireball_87

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cable
Me too. Cable is the way to go.

Don't want none of that "dumpster 56k"

-C.S. Lewis

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 27th October, 2001, 07:15 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

there isn't anything wrong with mandrake.
Old 27th October, 2001, 08:12 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Hmm. The poll is fashioned in a manner that precludes the participation of people that don't use Debian. Debian has the "apt get" feature, which rocketh. Hard. If it didn't, how popular would Debian be?

Mandrake. Lots of folks love it, but Mandrake doesn't like me, at all. Can I be blamed for returning the favor?
Old 27th October, 2001, 08:19 PM
Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by cloasters
Mandrake. Lots of folks love it, but Mandrake doesn't like me, at all. Can I be blamed for returning the favor?
LOL. Yeah, XP doesn't like phiber. I guess OS's have to fit their owners, kind of like dogs

-C.S. Lewis

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 28th October, 2001, 05:10 AM

Send a message via ICQ to sfa ok Send a message via AIM to sfa ok

A more approprate thing would be Red Hat vs. Debian, but oh well. I just ordered Suse 7.3, as I'm not all too pleased with Mandrake's stability. But for now, I'm running Mandrake on my main box and Red Hat on my folding/file server.
Old 28th October, 2001, 01:07 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Phiber Send a message via AIM to Phiber

Quote:

LOL. Yeah, XP doesn't like phiber. I guess OS's have to fit their owners, kind of like dogs
it sure doesnt like me but i am useing the brute force method of making it like me
XP 1800+
[color]
Old 28th October, 2001, 08:20 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

I use Mandrake 8, it's sweet. Just ordered Mandrake 8.1 the other day(got to support the coders) should be here early this week . . . .

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Old 28th October, 2001, 10:03 PM
Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
I use Mandrake 8, it's sweet. Just ordered Mandrake 8.1 the other day(got to support the coders) should be here early this week . . . .
Why not download? That's what I always do. Of course, if you don't have cable you'd be waiting a while.

-C.S. Lewis

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 28th October, 2001, 10:27 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Phiber Send a message via AIM to Phiber

Quote:

Why not download? That's what I always do. Of course, if you don't have cable you'd be waiting a while.
i beleive he has 56k thats why he doesnt play Broodwar with me and he said he wants to support the coders
XP 1800+
[color]
Old 28th October, 2001, 10:30 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

After you have tried a few flavors of Linux and settle on the one that you like best, please, please, PLEASE buy it in its "official" release form.

GPL is wonderful, yet no one is reimbursed for their time and effort. Thirty to seventy bucks(for complete, or "professional" editions) is money out of your pocket. I make myself remember that all of the Linux distro writers and their companies combined only equal one grain of sand on MS's beach.

These good people have to eat. Even seventy or eighty bucks for the professional version of the distro you like puts more power in your hand than a ?$190 copy of WinXP. Linux companies are disappearing, while the MS juggernaut rolls on, crushing the bones of all that impede its dishonest path.

Please support the distribution that you like. Buy it!

Last edited by cloasters; 28th October, 2001 at 10:33 PM.
Old 28th October, 2001, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cloasters
Please support the distribution that you like. Buy it!
Ditto!

I understand if your a bucks down student that has to choose between text books or Linux, but if you have the money please do shell out for a new version of your favorite distro from time to time The nice thing about a purchased copy of Linux is that there is usually no limitations on how many machines you can install that copy on, and if there is it is usually a substantualy large number. So if need be you and a friend could go half-sies on a copy if you don't have the money for your own copy, and still sleep well knowing your favorite distro is being supported.

BTW- Best Buy is trying to get $200 for a copy of RedHat Proffessional, the one with the big book. What a bunch of spoonheads . . .

AOA Team fah
Old 29th October, 2001, 12:03 AM
Systems Administrator

Good point. I want to try Slackware, everyone's always saying how great that one is, and then maybe I'll buy the one I like best.

I can't believe Best Buy wants $200 for RedHat. They're crazy.

EDIT: What's the origin of the word: "spoonheads"? I've been hearing it a lot around here and am looking for an exact definition.

-C.S. Lewis

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 29th October, 2001, 01:18 AM

Send a message via ICQ to sfa ok Send a message via AIM to sfa ok

Don't use Slackware until you're very accustomed to all the workings of Linux, and are familiar with a CLI text editor (vi or emacs). But once you get it up and running, Slackware can be fast and stable.
Old 29th October, 2001, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sfa ok
Don't use Slackware until you're very accustomed to all the workings of Linux, and are familiar with a CLI text editor (vi or emacs). But once you get it up and running, Slackware can be fast and stable.
Personally, I'd recommend Mandrake to the newbie, or anyone who wants ease of use. I can recommend RedHat to the moderately skilled Linux user. And as you say, Slackware is for the |337 |-|4X0rz among us . . . . I'd almost rather use command line Linux myself, but the Xwindows GUI makes multi-tasking a tad bit easier . . . .

Some Linux newbies might find having two separate versions of Linux installed beneficial. One with all the GUI stuff to get a feel for that, and one that's just stripped to the core Linux Kernel and GNU utilities. The latter will give you a good understanding of the Linux file structure and system configuration(you need to be your own add hardware wizard for most hardware under linux, though they are making it easier). For the latter a copy of "Linux for SpoonHeads", or similar books, is highly recommended.

BTW- I just made that linux for spoonheads thing up for superman . . . . I recommend Linux System Administration for those with good reading comprehension.

AOA Team fah
Old 29th October, 2001, 02:34 AM
Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
Personally, I'd recommend Mandrake to the newbie, or anyone who wants ease of use. I can recommend RedHat to the moderately skilled Linux user. And as you say, Slackware is for the |337 |-|4X0rz among us . . . . I'd almost rather use command line Linux myself, but the Xwindows GUI makes multi-tasking a tad bit easier . . . .

Some Linux newbies might find having two separate versions of Linux installed beneficial. One with all the GUI stuff to get a feel for that, and one that's just stripped to the core Linux Kernel and GNU utilities. The latter will give you a good understanding of the Linux file structure and system configuration(you need to be your own add hardware wizard for most hardware under linux, though they are making it easier). For the latter a copy of "Linux for SpoonHeads", or similar books, is highly recommended.

BTW- I just made that linux for spoonheads thing up for superman . . . . I recommend Linux System Administration for those with good reading comprehension.
Thanks! I stopped dling Slackware

I think I'll try something else. What about Debian? Is that hard?

-C.S. Lewis

<>< I Believe-Do You?