AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 28th October, 2001, 10:10 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sfa ok Send a message via AIM to sfa ok

Transferring data (NTFS)

I need to move data from my NTFS drive, which contains a dead Windows 2000, to another on a different computer. But the other computer doesn't recognize it (it runs 2000 also). What can I do to get it to move?
Old 28th October, 2001, 10:16 PM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Do you have a computer that will recognize the drive? Then I'd just transfer over network. It sounds like you don't. Then I have no idea.

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th October, 2001, 10:26 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Phiber Send a message via AIM to Phiber

hmm.. get another computer with NTFS thats the only thing about NTFS FAT32 cant recognize it
XP 1800+
[color]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th October, 2001, 11:51 PM

Hmm, I think I'll give more detail. I have 3 computers, 2 of which have Windows 2000 (the other Linux). One of them (mine) had the Windows die horribly. There's nothing wrong with the disk. The other computer that runs 2000 and has NTFS (my parents') won't see the NTFS partition on the drive from my computer. And there's lots of data (read: all my mp3's) that I want before I reformat.
Old 29th October, 2001, 01:12 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Phiber Send a message via AIM to Phiber

Quote:
Originally posted by sfa ok
Hmm, I think I'll give more detail. I have 3 computers, 2 of which have Windows 2000 (the other Linux). One of them (mine) had the Windows die horribly. There's nothing wrong with the disk. The other computer that runs 2000 and has NTFS (my parents') won't see the NTFS partition on the drive from my computer. And there's lots of data (read: all my mp3's) that I want before I reformat.
that i have no clue about
XP 1800+
[color]
Old 29th October, 2001, 07:27 AM
AOA Staff

did U take the drive out and physically put it in the win 2k machine? does it ID the drive right in the bios?
Old 29th October, 2001, 06:54 PM

Yes, I physically moved the drive, and it IDs in the bios.
Old 29th October, 2001, 08:25 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by sfa ok
Check that the W2K machine can read the partition table. If it can read the partition table with no problems, then I can't suggest anything.

If it can't read the partition table, did you use any disk management software or any different mapping modes on the disk?

Last resort - There is a IFS module for Linux that allows you to read NTFS. It does work, as I've used it to recover/change passwords to machines.

It's not recommended unless you have some reasonable linux knowledge.

AidanII
Old 29th October, 2001, 11:43 PM

Got it, I didn't know about Disk Management in Win2k.