AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/12-os-software-firmware-and-bios/)
-   -   how to get Linux to read and write on an NTFS drive. (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/os-software-firmware-and-bios/13137-how-get-linux-read-write-ntfs.html)

r0l0e 7th January, 2003 11:57 AM

how to get Linux to read and write on an NTFS drive.

not really a solution but a question.

i know that most of all linux distros don't support reading and writing on NTSF. i'd like to still be able to use this box as a file and print server. i have been able to load a driver to mount and read NTSF partition manually but i can't write on it. is there a work around so that i will be able to write to my NTSF drive?

Kaitain 7th January, 2003 03:51 PM

Quote:

i'd like to still be able to use this box as a file and print server.
Er, not sure I understand 100%. Is "this box" a dual-boot NT/2k/XP and Linux box? Or an NT/2k/XP machine only, and you're trying to share drives with a separate Linux box?

Quote:

is there a work around so that i will be able to write to my NTSF drive?
If you're trying to write to an NTFS drive that is local in your machine (your primary master, eg) then no. NTFS is built a bit like a database, and writing files requires the OS to make changes to several places: get it wrong and the file system's toast. At the moment, the drivers are apt to get it wrong.

I have, however, been able to read and write to an NTFS drive for several months without a glitch - that drive resides in an XP box at the opposite end of the house to my Linux box, and has been accessed by Samba. Ethernet takes away any issues over filesystem - one OS says to the other "here's a file, deal with it" and that's about it.

r0l0e 8th January, 2003 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Kaitain
Er, not sure I understand 100%. Is "this box" a dual-boot NT/2k/XP and Linux box? Or an NT/2k/XP machine only, and you're trying to share drives with a separate Linux box?
sorry if i wasn't so clear. this box for now is dual boot winxp/linux. the files/drive i need to share are on this same box using NTSF. the drive i need to share is a primary partition wich contains documents and installers.

Kaitain 8th January, 2003 11:51 AM

Then you're probably best off either moving the files entirely to either a linux partition, or to a remote windows machine across the network.

funnyperson1 9th January, 2003 06:37 AM

yeah, ntfs support is still a bit shaky, and after you install linux you may have to recompile the kernel with ntfs support built in

r0l0e 9th January, 2003 07:11 AM

i went and reinstalled RH and this time i made an VFAT partition. i'm really hesitant on moving all my important documentent and email to it though. wouldn't it be a security issue if you place files on a fat file system?

funnyperson1 15th January, 2003 05:14 AM

no, people have been doing it for years, Fat is less secure, but unless you have matters of national security on it (though a good firewall is always recommended) it shouldnt be an issue