AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/12-os-software-firmware-and-bios/)
-   -   Vista Fallout Continues.... (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/os-software-firmware-and-bios/35954-vista-fallout-continues.html)

Gizmo 26th March, 2006 12:19 AM

Vista Fallout Continues....

Digitimes is reporting that investment bank Smith Barney has lowered its target share price for Asustek from NT $103 (roughly $3.16 USD) to NT$89 (roughly $2.73 USD), and lowered the rating from 'hold' to 'sell'. To be sure, Asustek has been suffering from other issues as well, so this is hardly the only reason that their stock price is dropping, but this sure isn't helping.

Industry analysts, including Lehman Brothers, are predicting that the delay of the launch of Vista will result in lower demand for notebooks and portables than had previously been forcast. This despite the fact that Intel is expected to come out with a round of price cuts earlier than the previously scheduled May 28 timeframe, in an effort to bolster sales.

Seems like most of the industry is expecting something just short of the apocalypse as a result of Microsoft slipping the shipping date on Vista (again). What do you think? Is this really going to hurt the computing industry that much, or is it much ado about nothing? Tell us!

benighted 26th March, 2006 12:56 AM

I think this will open a few Windows of opportunity for Linux.

madcatmk3 26th March, 2006 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benighted

I don't think so people are to closed minded, does dell even sell AMD?

Gizmo 26th March, 2006 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madcatmk3

They will be, now that they have aquired Alienware. However, I don't think this is going to be a panacea for Linux; linux is not ready to handle a lot of the desktop tasks that road warriors are going to need, based on what I've been reading.

Staz 26th March, 2006 05:28 AM

Doesn't Mac have an OS that will run on an x86 arcitechture? One that is suposed to be way better than Windows? Or is little Stevie Jobs still trying to sell hardware?

cadaveca 26th March, 2006 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gizmo
They will be, now that they have aquired Alienware.

Now that's something worth reading. heh. Motive for the move, perhaps?:evil:

:eek:

skool h8r 26th March, 2006 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benighted

Do you know, that's the first time i've seen Windows, Linux and oppotunity in the same sentence.

tiamat63 26th March, 2006 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madcatmk3

Dell has sold AMD cpu's for quite some time as accessories.
Never in their lineup of machines all the way from top to bottom.
Apparently you missed my thread about hell freezing over with
hail, fire and brimstone now that Dell was selling an AMD products.

At any rate. I dont think this could get much worse for MS
(then again, I guarantee we could all be suprised) I"m sure clientel
and business partners alike are really shaking their heads over this.

Aedan 26th March, 2006 02:44 PM

Most businesses were not exactly keen with the idea having to shift OSes again. Migrating from NT 4 to 2000 was a big enough headache for a good number of them.

Daniel ~ 26th March, 2006 06:49 PM

A cross between ho-hum and pure dread. Who even thought that MS would/could deliver on time?

Dread in that who knows what last minute choices will be made to meet the new (approx.) date.

Like most other large corporations I'm not looking forward to having to update my three machines...it went so well last time! Yeah right!

SteveI 27th March, 2006 03:36 AM

Excuse me, but When was an OS ever supposed to be a "killer app"? It boggles the mind. This really sucks for the computer industry, but is probably the best for consumers. Quite frankly, the ignorant are being protected from themselves... "Oooh, this computer looks cool." (read: the screen graphics for basic functions). "I guess I have to spend a fortune to use it." Bottom line for me is... I really liked dos... You type properly, at 99% of the time, you knew what to expect as the response.... There's just way too much crossing of fingers today, and way too easy to screw up the OS.