AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/12-os-software-firmware-and-bios/)
-   -   MS to Force feed IE7! (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/os-software-firmware-and-bios/37422-ms-to-force-feed-ie7.html)

Daniel ~ 27th July, 2006 07:56 AM

MS to Force feed IE7!

Written by Daniel
Wednesday, 26 July 2006
Microsoft tags IE 7 'high priority' update
By Joris Evers
Staff Writer, CNET News.com
Published: July 26, 2006, 9:00 AM PDT

Microsoft plans to automatically push Internet Explorer 7 to Windows XP users when the browser update is ready later this year.

IE 7 will be delivered in the fourth quarter as a "high priority" update via Automatic Updates in Windows XP, Gary Schare, Microsoft's director of IE product management, said in an interview Tuesday. Automatic Updates is a Windows feature typically used for security updates, but Microsoft has also used it to push its antipiracy tool WGA Notifications.

More Front Page!

Aedan 27th July, 2006 08:35 AM

Quote:

"The justification, of course, is the significant security enhancements in IE 7," Schare said. Microsoft recommends that all Windows users install the new browser when it ships, he added.
Could it just be that there are so many holes in IE6 that they'd rather not spend time trying to fix them? By releasing IE7, they can pretend that the IE6 mess is unsupported and hence it's your own problem?

Daniel ~ 27th July, 2006 09:52 AM

Also messes with our expectation...
"Hey! It brand new! Give them a chance to work out the bugs!"

I've read else where that MS has an Enterprise tool that allows the big guys NOT to install it....EVER!

Should we think of ourselves as test monkeys for the big time!? ":O}

Samuknow 27th July, 2006 12:19 PM

So is just a newer version of a mess?

A whole new improved breed of bugs if you will.

MS must think that we a memory impaired. Ever new release is to be the end all for the way it was. It is just a new starting point for the way it will be....

skool h8r 27th July, 2006 12:26 PM

Plain and simple; They can't make me! Why would i want to use IE7 when i can make my own, and it will be far superior security-wise to IE7? I don't use automatic updates anyway but this gives me another reason to not change my ways when it comes to security. Why change what, to me, is good practice?

madcatmk3 27th July, 2006 01:16 PM

ya, it probly wont be that much safer, that or they stole mozzilas code. Anyway they do have tbas now so it is better for the average idiot user to stupid to download mozzila.

Samuknow 27th July, 2006 01:16 PM

Still choose to use FireFox.....I will not comply...

Favu 27th July, 2006 01:38 PM

I don't see where the problem is if all MS are doing is pointing you towards moving from IE6 to IE7?

wild_andy_c 27th July, 2006 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Áedán
Could it just be that there are so many holes in IE6 that they'd rather not spend time trying to fix them? By releasing IE7, they can pretend that the IE6 mess is unsupported and hence it's your own problem?

I'll go with that whilst they add on the features of firefox, whilst addingthe phishing filter and maintained the user logged ftp access schema.

Aedan 27th July, 2006 02:17 PM

Firefox is drawing much more attention these days. Firefox has a similar idea to BHO, called XPCOM. There are already a couple of trojans that add themselves into Firefox to hijack any pages that submit forms back the the server. (That'll be any login page then...)

dolanenwindrift 27th July, 2006 02:52 PM

Frankly IE 7 works great - I have been using Beta 3. In fact,I won't be going back to Firefox because of some issues it STILL has with some web sites I visit. I find it amusing that people bitch about the security holes in IE 6, and THEN turn around and bitch because Microsoft wants to issue IE 7 (which solves most of these security problems) as a high-priority update.

SteveI 27th July, 2006 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dolanenwindrift
Frankly IE 7 works great - I have been using Beta 3. In fact,I won't be going back to Firefox because of some issues it STILL has with some web sites I visit...

Unfortunately, sites that do not function properly w/ firefox are not the fault of the browser, but the non standard MS recommendations that programmers used, and that only IE can handle.

I have plenty of these pages I regularly visit, mostly financial. For them, I use the IE plugin. :)

Again blame lies with MS, for their deceptions.

Aedan 27th July, 2006 04:35 PM

Or, in a some cases of MS run sites, the site sniffs the browser type, and if the result isn't IE, it "downgrades" the page regardless of how capable the browser is.

Samuknow 27th July, 2006 06:01 PM

Quote:

Frankly IE 7 works great - I have been using Beta 3. In fact,I won't be going back to Firefox because of some issues it STILL has with some web sites I visit. I find it amusing that people bitch about the security holes in IE 6, and THEN turn around and bitch because Microsoft wants to issue IE 7 (which solves most of these security problems) as a high-priority update.

[rant]The thing is, this has been said over and over by MS. IE5 was supposed to be the fix all of the world and ended up causing some nice crashes when we upgraded at Telex...

Most people are just fed up with MS telling us that this is great for us only to find out they just put a new dress on the same promise as before....[/rant]

Daniel ~ 27th July, 2006 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samuknow
Still choose to use FireFox.....I will not comply...

SAM! Firefox is so yesterday!Try Opera! ":O}

Samuknow 27th July, 2006 06:25 PM

I must not have gotten the memo...

So is Opera the new black...?

Daniel ~ 27th July, 2006 06:25 PM

Quote:

While I agree this IS way overdue...It's the delivery that troubles me. This goes back to MS cutting loose the browser so others have a shot at producing a better mouse trap.

This seems to me like a typical MS solution. Do it half assed, using the work of others, then make it hard for anyone else to do it.

Once it's in the wild we'll see how long it remains "reasonably" safe. But happy your having a good experience of it! It's a start.

Daniel ~ 27th July, 2006 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samuknow
I must not have gotten the memo...

So is Opera the new black...?

Just try it and tell us what you think! I love it (Don't tell dsio, he'll want royalties for making me switch!)

cadaveca 27th July, 2006 06:29 PM

I've been using the BETA IE7 since it came out. recently got another update, and it works like the old one, w/ phising filter and tabbed browsing, as andy(oops) mentioned.

Takes less time for me to visit all teh forums, so I'm happy. Only less then 2.5 weeks of vacation left, and then back to work!

Samuknow 27th July, 2006 06:38 PM

I'll load it up as soon as I get home....

Man, I sure give in easy to peer pressure....lol