AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/12-os-software-firmware-and-bios/)
-   -   Russia installing Linux in every school in the country (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/os-software-firmware-and-bios/42880-russia-installing-linux-every-school-country.html)

Samuknow 20th September, 2007 11:41 AM

Russia installing Linux in every school in the country

According to CNews, a Russian counterpart to CNet, the Russian government is actively pursuing the development of a “Russian OS” to be available to every school in the country. While government-sponsored, the Russian operating system will be based on Linux and will be open source. The initiative will be accompanied by significant infrastructural changes supporting information technology in education.

Read more on the front page

Discuss?

Daniel ~ 20th September, 2007 04:37 PM

If MS had half a wit they give MS products to every school in the world and cash in when the students graduated and went to work... Fore site has never been MS' best thing...

Gizmo 20th September, 2007 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel ~ (Post 455958)
If MS had half a wit they give MS products to every school in the world and cash in when the students graduated and went to work... Fore site has never been MS' best thing...

Actually, MS give schools and students quite a substantial discount off the retail price already in most cases. E.g. last time I checked I could get a student edition of the entire MS Office package (about $600 retail) for $99 at the local university. I just had to prove I was a student.

Daniel ~ 20th September, 2007 05:00 PM

WOW! and Open Office costs how much? ":O}

I've been stuck with MS because I learned MS. Russians may end up with a better choice..?

Samuknow 20th September, 2007 05:32 PM

That is true. Here at IU, most can pick XP pro for a low 25 bucks. Office 03 pro went for 45 I think. Still free would be better. I still think give it a little time and Linux will gain ground. Just got to make it easier to install.

dsio 20th September, 2007 06:02 PM

One of the major things is that international support is actually quite good, by virtue of the fact that developers come from all around the world.

Daniel ~ 20th September, 2007 06:09 PM

Wish my memory was better... but earlier this year Bill Gates met with the president of one of the more prosperous Ex-Soviet block countries. The Guy was quite friendly to Bill, a real fan!

He told Bill (Here I paraphrase)

"WE would have never recovered if it weren't for pirated MS software! Now that we have, we can afford to cut deals on MS software!

Bill is reported to have declined a response.

See how that works Bill? You give a little to get a little.

cloasters 20th September, 2007 06:13 PM

Da tovarich, Linux not need expensive licensing.