AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/12-os-software-firmware-and-bios/)
-   -   Transferring data (NTFS) (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/os-software-firmware-and-bios/946-transferring-data-ntfs.html)

sfa ok 28th October, 2001 10:10 PM

Transferring data (NTFS)

I need to move data from my NTFS drive, which contains a dead Windows 2000, to another on a different computer. But the other computer doesn't recognize it (it runs 2000 also). What can I do to get it to move?

Superman 28th October, 2001 10:16 PM

Do you have a computer that will recognize the drive? Then I'd just transfer over network. It sounds like you don't. Then I have no idea.

Phiber 28th October, 2001 10:26 PM

hmm.. get another computer with NTFS thats the only thing about NTFS FAT32 cant recognize it

sfa ok 28th October, 2001 11:51 PM

Hmm, I think I'll give more detail. I have 3 computers, 2 of which have Windows 2000 (the other Linux). One of them (mine) had the Windows die horribly. There's nothing wrong with the disk. The other computer that runs 2000 and has NTFS (my parents') won't see the NTFS partition on the drive from my computer. And there's lots of data (read: all my mp3's) that I want before I reformat.

Phiber 29th October, 2001 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by sfa ok
Hmm, I think I'll give more detail. I have 3 computers, 2 of which have Windows 2000 (the other Linux). One of them (mine) had the Windows die horribly. There's nothing wrong with the disk. The other computer that runs 2000 and has NTFS (my parents') won't see the NTFS partition on the drive from my computer. And there's lots of data (read: all my mp3's) that I want before I reformat.
that i have no clue about

surlyjoe 29th October, 2001 07:27 AM

did U take the drive out and physically put it in the win 2k machine? does it ID the drive right in the bios?

sfa ok 29th October, 2001 06:54 PM

Yes, I physically moved the drive, and it IDs in the bios.

Aedan 29th October, 2001 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by sfa ok
Check that the W2K machine can read the partition table. If it can read the partition table with no problems, then I can't suggest anything.

If it can't read the partition table, did you use any disk management software or any different mapping modes on the disk?

Last resort - There is a IFS module for Linux that allows you to read NTFS. It does work, as I've used it to recover/change passwords to machines. :)

It's not recommended unless you have some reasonable linux knowledge.

AidanII

sfa ok 29th October, 2001 11:43 PM

Got it, I didn't know about Disk Management in Win2k.