AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Case Modifications > The Chop Shop

The Chop Shop This is where our case Moding team meet with members interested in learning and apply moding skills to their computer cases.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 24th June, 2008, 01:42 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Azriel

I'd like to say it's going well, but it's not. I'm getting heat out of the heater core, but not enough. I'm at stock 2.0 GHZ speed on my 3800 x2 and running 50c.

I think the pump is dumping a lot of heat into the water, being submerged.

The other problem I am having is that a thin film is forming on top of the water in the reservoir. I'm guessing that I don't have enough iodine in it.

With the heat issue of the pump, which I have verified by running the pump with the PC off, I'm thinking about going with the big swiftech pump and running it outside the reservoir. If I do that, i don't have any need for a reservoir as big as the one I am using.

I'm really thinking about making a new reservoir. Smaller, and sealed. Probably a 2 bay, but possibly external, hanging off the side of the box.

I could do a round reservoir with a square end plate and still use 3 bays. It would be safer, with fewer seams. It might actually look better than what I have in there now.

The case isn't a loss, just this pump and reservoir.
Old 24th June, 2008, 02:17 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Try a small fountain pump. i ran one for years and it did fine. Temps were low and almost no heat dump....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th June, 2008, 07:38 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Imtimidating in it's splender! (does it always look back at you like that!? ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th June, 2008, 10:25 AM
Member/Contributer

As time passes, the temps are dropping. I believe the "new" pump was generating more heat at first, but is now dropping much less heat into the water. I have gone from 48c to 39c at idle in 24 hours.
Old 25th June, 2008, 11:10 AM

Nice....

Plus I think that TIM has to set in a little.
Old 25th June, 2008, 12:45 PM
Member/Contributer

Still dropping, 37c under load. (Just a divx movie)
Old 26th June, 2008, 04:49 AM
Member/Contributer

Even though I got the NZXT psu working again, I'm going to go with the coolmax psu. I mocked this up with a standard size PSU. I didn't realize at the time that the NZXT was oversized. I'd like more than ¾" of space between the PSU and the reservoir.

I'm also taking out the UV CCFL's and not using the 6 leds on the psu, so there will only be 57 lights, not the original 65.
Old 26th June, 2008, 08:42 AM
Member/Contributer

It's getting difficult to photograph. The CCFL's are not on in these pics.

I still don't have the HDD inside. I'm holding off until I have the fan shroud in. The standard size 500w coolmax PSU is in the case now. I guess the NZXT can stay with the old case.

I took the shroud off the heatsink on my 8800GT. I wanted the 120 below it to blow on it. The fan is still on the heatsink. This card refuses to run if you don't have the fan on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Just an idea I tried.. it's not a build thread.-unshrouded.jpg   Just an idea I tried.. it's not a build thread.-spiderweb.jpg   Just an idea I tried.. it's not a build thread.-cathodes-are-off.jpg  

Last edited by Azriel; 26th June, 2008 at 08:45 AM.
Old 26th June, 2008, 11:11 AM

Holy box of wires batman....

That is a bright blue creation...
Old 26th June, 2008, 02:48 PM
Member/Contributer

The shroud. I may remake this out of mirror. Not sure if I like how it looks. It's made to stand on the core, not slip over it.

Yes, know I need to clean up the wiring. It's a work in progress.
Attached Thumbnails
Just an idea I tried.. it's not a build thread.-shroud.jpg  
Old 26th June, 2008, 03:03 PM
Member/Contributer

Attached Thumbnails
Just an idea I tried.. it's not a build thread.-imga1891.jpg  
Old 27th June, 2008, 04:53 AM
Member/Contributer

I got the gasket made, and the shroud is lightly clamped onto the heater core.
Attached Thumbnails
Just an idea I tried.. it's not a build thread.-shroud-flash.jpg   Just an idea I tried.. it's not a build thread.-shroud-blue.jpg  
Old 27th June, 2008, 10:47 AM
Member/Contributer

Ran out of chrome split loom. It's okay, I need some larger than ¼" so I had to order anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Just an idea I tried.. it's not a build thread.-imga1897.jpg  
Old 27th June, 2008, 12:02 PM

Now that is frikkin cool.

Are you making the plexi mirrored or do you buy it that way.

I have painted the back side many colores before including chrome paint. Makes a decent mirror.
Old 27th June, 2008, 12:52 PM
Member/Contributer

The mirrored polycarbonate is clear with an aluminum coating on the back side.

The split loom is actually high temp aluminum coated split loom. The stuff is teflon I think. It is much thicker than the cheap black stuff. The inside is a yellowish white color.
Old 27th June, 2008, 12:57 PM

It looks great.

Where did you buy the polycarbonate like that?

I have that UFO case and I need to do some mods to get all the water cooling to look right. That stuff may fit the bill.
Old 27th June, 2008, 01:05 PM
Member/Contributer

You know there's no location left for a HDD, right? Or is there? You are sooo gonna love where I'm putting it. I don't wan to say anything until I know it will work.

The 12" CCFL's are all coming out. They are getting in my way more than anything. I'm adding a light box from directron to the front of the PSU to light up the reservoir. It's a little plastic box with a CCFL lamp in it and a diffuser.

I got almost everything I used in this case from mcmaster.com ( not the leds and things ... the materials. )
Attached Images

Last edited by Azriel; 27th June, 2008 at 01:11 PM.
Old 27th June, 2008, 01:20 PM
Member/Contributer

Aww hell. It will work, and I can't keep a secret. It's mounting to the backside of the motherboard tray using 7 otherwise unused holes near the top. I'm mounting it with a sheet of mirror and two pieces of aluminum angle. The case side will have a boxed out window to cover it. I hate bevel cutting plastic, so the construction of the box will be a bit different than the shroud. I got the idea from a cheap external HDD case. the ones with plates and corner posts.
Old 30th June, 2008, 05:19 PM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuknow View Post
It looks great.

Where did you buy the polycarbonate like that?

I have that UFO case and I need to do some mods to get all the water cooling to look right. That stuff may fit the bill.
Sorry I missed the question. I get most everything from mcmaster.com.

There are probably cheaper ways to get it. They are pricey. I buy from them because anything I order before 2pm is here by 11am the next day fedex standard shipping. They do not sit on orders. It's not like when you pay for next day at newegg, and the flakes don't ship it for 3 days.
Old 30th June, 2008, 05:29 PM
Member/Contributer

I flushed the system today, and I'm pretty sure the particulate I was getting in my reservoir was coming from the heater core. I didn't think about the fact that after the barbs were sweated on, they dunked it and pressure checked it. It was most likely full of crud from the tank.

It looked like glass dust, so initially, I thought it was from the glass impregnated nylon the pump was made out of. I flushed it with the return line on the reservoir connected to a hose that went straight to a trash can. It holds nearly a gallon, so I bought 8 gallons to flush it with. I used 2 under power. After that, I was filling the reservoir just enough to not dry lock the pump, running for 10 seconds, suctioning it dry. I went through 2 more gallons that way, and then I fed the little hose all the way down the line into the heater core (which is a real pain in the ass), and suctioned it's top tank out.

It's refilled, with 10 drops of iodine added. It's a pretty high capacity system, so I went a little heavy on the iodine.