AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Case Modifications > The Chop Shop

The Chop Shop This is where our case Moding team meet with members interested in learning and apply moding skills to their computer cases.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.33 average.
Old 2nd July, 2008, 08:02 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azriel View Post
This contest is a feeler of sorts. If this goes well, there will be more. I have some ideas brewing. One theme I want to keep to if this turns into a series is low cost, skill oriented. If we can get enough people into these things, I will see about getting sponsorship for possible prizes. For now, only count on bragging rights, or maybe something silly hand crafted by me.
We might ask those among us with considerable skills to give a siminar on a particular tool, then have a contest to see who can best imploy it...just a idea.":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd July, 2008, 09:19 PM

Quote:
This contest is a feeler of sorts. If this goes well, there will be more. I have some ideas brewing. One theme I want to keep to if this turns into a series is low cost, skill oriented. If we can get enough people into these things, I will see about getting sponsorship for possible prizes. For now, only count on bragging rights, or maybe something silly hand crafted by me.
Don't you think this contest is kind of like a virus in that, by it's very nature, is self destructive? The people that build today probebly won't build tomarrow.
I can't speak for others of coarse, and I am happy and thrilled with this contest, I doubt I would do another one for a while. Just my 2 penneys.

1ST Thermaltake V9 Case * Windows 7 x64 * Gigibyte GM-MA74GM-S2 * Phenom X4 9650 2.3Ghz @ 2.76GHz * G Skill 4 GB DDR2 * EVGA Geforce 9800GT 512GB * Antec 650w

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd July, 2008, 04:10 AM

Send a message via AIM to captaincurran Send a message via MSN to captaincurran Send a message via Yahoo to captaincurran Send a message via Skype™ to captaincurran

are we able to enter 2 cases? i've got just under 5lbs of case creation material that'd make an interesting case. but i also want to do my original idea as i've already put work into it. and the two ideas are TOTALLY different from each other.

Old 3rd July, 2008, 04:12 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I would tend to think that it would be unfair to let a person enter more than one case, but as this is Azriel's baby, it's his shout.
Old 3rd July, 2008, 06:29 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Azriel

One entry per, please. In the interest of keeping it fair for people who can't afford to do two. Choose the one you like best, sorry.
Old 3rd July, 2008, 04:36 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Seems right.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 3rd July, 2008, 05:26 PM

Ditto.

1ST Thermaltake V9 Case * Windows 7 x64 * Gigibyte GM-MA74GM-S2 * Phenom X4 9650 2.3Ghz @ 2.76GHz * G Skill 4 GB DDR2 * EVGA Geforce 9800GT 512GB * Antec 650w

Old 3rd July, 2008, 07:10 PM
Member/Contributer

in the interest of allowing people to get in a bit late and still have time to finish, and in response to Booman's initial request for more time, the deadline will be extended for two additional weeks. The opening post with the rules reflects this change. Don't add two weeks to it.

Last edited by Azriel; 4th July, 2008 at 03:35 PM.
Old 3rd July, 2008, 07:18 PM
Member/Contributer

Daniel, I'm going to be doing a little write up on working with thicker plastics. It will encompass some do and don't points of table saws, jig saws, scroll saws and some air tools, along with avoiding cracking while drilling large holes. I'm going to start taking pictures as I do these things so I can fit them into a tutorial.

I will not be doing the PSU pruning write up, as I have found that it can go horribly wrong in some high end PSUs. I had to do a couple hours of soldering to make a PSU work again after a poorly planned pruning. As a general rule, if you are going to prune a PSU, do it by decreasing the connectors on a run, not by opening it and cutting runs off the board.
Old 4th July, 2008, 09:20 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Excellent! In all ways Excellent! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 4th July, 2008, 09:22 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorPorMe View Post
Don't you think this contest is kind of like a virus in that, by it's very nature, is self destructive? The people that build today probebly won't build tomarrow.
I can't speak for others of coarse, and I am happy and thrilled with this contest, I doubt I would do another one for a while. Just my 2 penneys.
We can go for" best Improvement in an existing case mod"...and tempt everyone toward a bridge to far! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 4th July, 2008, 10:44 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Daniel, I'm going to be doing a little write up on working with thicker plastics. It will encompass some do and don't points of table saws, jig saws, scroll saws and some air tools, along with avoiding cracking while drilling large holes. I'm going to start taking pictures as I do these things so I can fit them into a tutorial.

I will not be doing the PSU pruning write up, as I have found that it can go horribly wrong in some high end PSUs. I had to do a couple hours of soldering to make a PSU work again after a poorly planned pruning. As a general rule, if you are going to prune a PSU, do it by decreasing the connectors on a run, not by opening it and cutting runs off the board.
Submit it to Daniel for the site and you'll get $25 for the article
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Linux Guides: PC Games Linux Beginners Tips Linux Games List
Mack Truck Dungeon Of Fire Spray Booth Tutorial
Old 4th July, 2008, 10:47 PM
AOA Staff

If we want more traffic due to the contest I suggest allowing the modders to post their log as they go so viewers will return to see the progress. I know Azriel wants us to wait until the contest is over but maybe AOA traffic is more important than the "Wow" factor of the log.
I certainly love updating my thread as I go for hype and for returning views.
By the way, I've been waiting 2 years for this kind of contest at AOA!!!
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 5th July, 2008, 06:20 AM
Member/Contributer

Logging as you go can go either way really. Yes, it's more eye candy for generating traffic, but at the same time, it would give away all of you ideas. You are right I guess. Feel free to decide individually if you want to be secretive, or public. Realize, though, if two people do the same thing, we have to treat it as if they both came up with it on their own.
Old 5th July, 2008, 05:03 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Quote:
Logging as you go can go either way really. Yes, it's more eye candy for generating traffic, but at the same time, it would give away all of you ideas. You are right I guess. Feel free to decide individually if you want to be secretive, or public. Realize, though, if two people do the same thing, we have to treat it as if they both came up with it on their own.
Or which one came out better.

Tough call. The staffer in me wants the traffic. The judge in me says wait and see.
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 5th July, 2008, 06:50 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by booman View Post
Submit it to Daniel for the site and you'll get $25 for the article
Best sent to Danrok or Gizmo...They are more talented with our Front page back end ... But we ARE still good for the 25 bucks! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 5th July, 2008, 06:56 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I guess it may come down to what we want of this gathering of modders?
It will very hard to judge in some ways if we post progress. Does the idea belong to the first to post it? What if one person get credit for the idea, but another for it's best exicution?

I'm inclined toward Azriel's approach...seems prone to few disagreements and hurt feelings... Az, It is my assesment that this, as with most other things connected to our contest, should be your call, your the one what brung us, your the one to take us home.":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 5th July, 2008 at 06:57 PM.
Old 5th July, 2008, 11:47 PM
Member/Contributer

I would prefer that people kept it a supirse. One person sent me a picture of what he was doing, and it's so far out of the box, you wouldn't believe it. I'm afraid that we'd lose this element if everything were public as we go. I like the idea of people all blindly flying off in different directions.

I've changed my thinking a little bit over the first week of this, and I think that after this one, rather than having more "contests", we should bring back the "member of the month" that we did way back in the beginning.

I did some really outlandish mods back then, and I was very happy to recieve a celeron 300A keychain from Surlyjoe, when I got member of the month.

On the articles: I'm going to start devoting some time to writing them, but I don't want to be paid for them.
Old 6th July, 2008, 12:21 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Ok, here is my thought. If we are SERIOUSLY going to do more of these. (which I hope we do) then I would want a wait and see approach. That way the next time we do it people will know what too expect and if they'll have to "try harder" next time (I'm really hoping some people really surprize us with some VERY nice work)

If this is a one time only thing... I say we show the progress as it progresses.
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 6th July, 2008, 03:15 PM
AOA Staff

How about we all vote. Azriel can do another thread with a vote on if the contestants should post their progress or keep it a surprise....

I'm leaning toward posting progress because I know it helps the forum and people can't wait for the next picture. So if we vote, I'll abide by the majority. I'm not worried about someone stealing my idea because usually no one has my ideas, but then again I did a blow-hole just like Weldzilla with the same case...
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10