AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Case Modifications > The Chop Shop

The Chop Shop This is where our case Moding team meet with members interested in learning and apply moding skills to their computer cases.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15th September, 2008, 04:04 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Azriel

Mod contest 1.1

Rules:
Make or modify anything using wood. It doesn't have to be a case. It doesn't even have to use electricity. You must take photos as you go, and create a build thread that clearly illustrates the build process. Others should be able to learn from your work.

This round will be the same length as the first round. 6 weeks. It officially starts one week from it's mention on the front page. (I will add the dates to this post)

This round, I would like to sponsor someone. I would give this person up to $50 at the close of the contest to offset their cost. The money would be sent via paypal, once they have made their build thread.

If you would like to throw your name in the hat for this, please PM me.

My decision will be based on the following highly scientific dog logic:
I will place a portion of burrito (bean and cheese in flavor), cheeseburger, beef jerky, and fried chicken on plates, in front of my beagle. Each item will represent an applicant. Whichever one she eats first will be the winner.

Prize you ask?

First place will receive either a $50 gift card/credit to the AOA-friendly site of their choice (Need a list of possible sites from a staff member plz), or a bag of random crap. The bag of crap's contents would remain a mystery until you open it. It may be strange and wonderful, it may just be strange. It would contain $50 worth of small new inexpensive items that I deem cool/interesting/useful to modders. It will not contain any actual "crap".

Last edited by Azriel; 15th September, 2008 at 07:33 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th September, 2008, 04:11 PM
Member/Contributer

Try not to plan too much. True genius is not achieved through careful research and planning, but rather coughed up by your brain like a large gooey hairball. Research and planning are the process of poking at the hairball with a toothpic to see if your brain ate a button, or if it has worms.
Old 15th September, 2008, 05:24 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Wow,

that was an entertaining read to say the least. I may have to jump in on this. I just finished a kitchen remodel that I started long ago and have some free time and spare material on hand. HHMMMM, what to do?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th September, 2008, 05:50 PM
Member/Contributer

"Let me esplain... no, there is too much, let me sum up."

I previously said that this round's rules would consist of a single word. Lets pretend I had less caffeine this morning and had only said "wood". That was the original plan. I would, however, have needed to say the rest, in a much more disorganized manner anyway.

Last edited by Azriel; 15th September, 2008 at 05:51 PM.
Old 7th October, 2008, 04:02 PM
Member/Contributer

hmmm
Old 7th October, 2008, 09:35 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

I have an idea for this....I just have to get it on paper.

I will see if I can muster some time...
Old 10th October, 2008, 07:42 PM
Member/Contributer

I'm not getting a lot of love on this one, so we are just gonna say this starts on Oct 20th, and will run 6 weeks. Feel free to start work early.
Old 10th October, 2008, 07:59 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

A good fall back position. Your efforts ARE appreciated! ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 13th October, 2008, 09:18 PM
AOA Staff

working with wood, huh? I havn't carved anything in a while, so maybe I'll try to carve a sculpture of something. I may have time to do that. Last time I carved Oak I cut my hands up and learned to wear gloves.
This really seems like an art project instead of a chop-shop mod
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Linux Guides: PC Games Linux Beginners Tips Linux Games List
Mack Truck Dungeon Of Fire Spray Booth Tutorial
Old 14th October, 2008, 09:09 AM
Member/Contributer

It can be artistic, functional and non-electronic, or a mod. Carpentry can be dangerous. please be careful. I'll post a picture of my thumb some time soon. (I still have all of it, but it's one impressive scar.) Definitely never cut wood with a segmented box cutter. Never never never.
Old 14th October, 2008, 03:07 PM
AOA Staff

I'm probably going to skip this one... It sounds fun, but I'm going to reserve this energy for the next "Case Specific" contest.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 2nd November, 2008, 03:28 PM
AOA Staff

wow, no more posts huh? Is anyone working on a mod or piece of artwork?
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 3rd November, 2008, 02:55 PM

I've been accumulateing a few parts but haven't oficially thrown my hat into the ring as rhere has been way to much going on at PorPorMe's abode to commit to anything, but it looks like things are shakeing out.
But If I'm the only one, just say I entered, send me the $50 and I'll add another $30 for a Thermalright Extreme! Yea, Baby!

Decide what ever you feel is best-I knowit will be the right decision.

[Pm me about the 50.SHH, quiet.]

1ST Thermaltake V9 Case * Windows 7 x64 * Gigibyte GM-MA74GM-S2 * Phenom X4 9650 2.3Ghz @ 2.76GHz * G Skill 4 GB DDR2 * EVGA Geforce 9800GT 512GB * Antec 650w

Old 3rd November, 2008, 03:21 PM
Member/Contributer

Bah, the Xigmatek HDT 1283 is within .2 C of the thermalright, and only costs $25. I love Thermalright, but they need to be a little more realistic with their prices.

The only gripe I have about Xigmatek is that the design aspect of their DHT "battleaxe" GPU cooler that allows it to spank thermalright's best offering also keeps it from benefiting from my 78 CFM 92mm Delta screamers. Sure, it's blocks 3 slots, but it's lighter, and simply better than the former king.

Who uses their PCI slots anyway?
Old 3rd November, 2008, 03:26 PM
Member/Contributer

Also, I think it's time to declare this contest a dismal failure. I will sponsor you build though. Shoot me a PM. I'm heading down to St. Louis this week to see Rollins at the Pageant, so I may not respond too quickly.
Old 3rd November, 2008, 06:04 PM
AOA Staff

don't give up on the contests yet!

when my budget is up a bit, I'll look forward to creating another case mod. I've been doing 1-2 a year so far. And they have "won" me some great prizes...
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 3rd November, 2008, 07:45 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I think you guys did a GREAT job! We are a small forums. The advantage is that we actually know each other or at lest have that opportunity. The draw back is that our energies are limited. It hard to get enough people together of a similar mood at the same time to get something done.

"Even a small spring renews herself in time.":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 3rd November, 2008, 07:53 PM
AOA Staff

I didn't think AOA is that small.
Every time I go to the main forum there is 5-14 people viewing a forum at the same time. Thats pretty good.
there has to be at least 40 of use who post on a regular basis right?
So out of 40 there has got to be 3 or 4 modders who would enter a contest...
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 3rd November, 2008, 10:20 PM

The problem with that idea is you are thinking at from your point of view, which isn't bad or wrong, but from someone who likes to mod. Some people-even OC'ers, buy a Dell! [was the lightning close?]
And then there is timing and whether that particular mod contest interest those that have been gone through that selection process. I think it's pretty darn good to get 4 or 5!

1ST Thermaltake V9 Case * Windows 7 x64 * Gigibyte GM-MA74GM-S2 * Phenom X4 9650 2.3Ghz @ 2.76GHz * G Skill 4 GB DDR2 * EVGA Geforce 9800GT 512GB * Antec 650w

Old 4th November, 2008, 01:28 PM
Member/Contributer

The contest idea is good, I'm not giving up on that, but this particular contest did not really fly. I'm going to hold off until mid January for the next installment. I do want to see some groundbreaking work, and I will help people with their mods as much as I can. We are at a time when it seems that it's all been done before, and there's no new territory to explore. Years ago, there was such a cloud of ignorance over the overclocking world, that this forum was much more important. Now, you buy your parts, have your dog put them together while you take a nap, turn it on and it all works. It used to require a bit of skill. It no longer does.

Heatsinks are huge, and a quality case costs so much that you hesitate to cut it. I think we need to start challenging ourselves again.