AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Case Modifications > The Chop Shop

The Chop Shop This is where our case Moding team meet with members interested in learning and apply moding skills to their computer cases.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12th January, 2009, 06:06 AM

boomans design mod

@booman
Thought I had best move this over where it belongs.
I have things ready to go-hopefully I'll get the panel cut tomorrow. I still haven't got either of my cameras to work in Vista x64 but I'll get that figured out.
I haven't had a lot of time to work on that.
One step at a time!

1ST Thermaltake V9 Case * Windows 7 x64 * Gigibyte GM-MA74GM-S2 * Phenom X4 9650 2.3Ghz @ 2.76GHz * G Skill 4 GB DDR2 * EVGA Geforce 9800GT 512GB * Antec 650w

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th January, 2009, 03:58 PM
AOA Staff

How about posting some of the beta window designs?

I'm looking forward to seeing your progress...
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Linux Guides: PC Games Linux Beginners Tips Linux Games List
Mack Truck Dungeon Of Fire Spray Booth Tutorial
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th January, 2009, 05:53 PM

I just formatted and am starting a clean install-restructure of my partions. I'll try to find a vista x64 twain driver.

1ST Thermaltake V9 Case * Windows 7 x64 * Gigibyte GM-MA74GM-S2 * Phenom X4 9650 2.3Ghz @ 2.76GHz * G Skill 4 GB DDR2 * EVGA Geforce 9800GT 512GB * Antec 650w

Old 13th January, 2009, 09:27 PM

OK, I'm half way there. I found a shareware program called ViewScan. It got my scanner to work. I'm still working on the camera.

VueScan Scanning Software

Here are the designs that booman made for me and the one i have useing eliments from a couple of his. I had th panel cut out yesterday. Those plasma cutters do a nice job. Just a little bit of slag to clean up & I have the plexy and fasteners and paint. Wish I'd picked up a file the other day--I could finish this but my legs have gotten to weak for me to go any where. You'll notice mine, the drawing is terrible. the panel looks a lot better!
Attached Thumbnails
boomans design mod-scan-090113-0001.jpg   boomans design mod-scan-090113-0002.jpg   boomans design mod-scan-090113-0003.jpg   boomans design mod-scan-090113-0004.jpg   boomans design mod-scan-090113-0005.jpg  

boomans design mod-scan-090113-0006.jpg   boomans design mod-scan-090113-0009.jpg  

Old 13th January, 2009, 11:21 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

OK, I'm interested!!":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 14th January, 2009, 07:17 PM

I got a lucky break. I got a a XP machine to fix and upgrade a little so I insalled my camera software and shot a few pics. I've cor wireing to clean op an the needs the slag filed off. The fan on the panel will be another 1200mm blue case fan. I need to get some dark screen to put on the plexyso eveything is just a blue glow. I think I'm going to like this!
Attached Thumbnails
boomans design mod-jam006.jpg   boomans design mod-jam010.jpg   boomans design mod-jam013.jpg  

Old 14th January, 2009, 07:29 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Slowly slowly lead with certainty to the goal...":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 15th January, 2009, 06:58 AM

Well, Lowes Hardware screwed the pooch. When I bought the plexy I asked explisitly if this material could be drilled and molded with heat and cut. Sales said yes to it all. I drilled a 1/4 in test hole in some scrap and the whole end split off.
What makes it worse is that in the last 3 days my legs hve gotten to weak to take it back and go looking for something else. I'd never make it. So that's on hold for a while.

Old 15th January, 2009, 07:51 AM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorPorMe View Post
Well, Lowes Hardware screwed the pooch. When I bought the plexy I asked explisitly if this material could be drilled and molded with heat and cut. Sales said yes to it all. I drilled a 1/4 in test hole in some scrap and the whole end split off.
What makes it worse is that in the last 3 days my legs hve gotten to weak to take it back and go looking for something else. I'd never make it. So that's on hold for a while.
Ive said it before i'll say it again, that tower is bloody huge!

Sucks about the plexi Hope they swap it for you. Ask for a thicker piece, its a bit more difficult to work with, but its much stronger. Also remember, drill slowly!

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64
Old 15th January, 2009, 08:03 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Yeah, they should replace it....imho
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 15th January, 2009, 12:27 PM

The plan is to get a refund on the Plexy AND the fastners as I have no use for them w/o that plexy.( They are 1/4 black push pins.)
I hae the reciept but I don't think I can do that for at least a month or so.

Old 16th January, 2009, 11:40 PM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

I would call them now and tell them whats happened. The longer you wait before advising them the more likely there going to tell you to take a hike.

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64
Old 16th January, 2009, 11:46 PM
AOA Staff

I knew you would get some pictures up for us!
I like the window design a lot.
As for the plexi-glass, I found that cutting really slow does the trick. I use a hacksaw or scoring tool. For curves a Jigsaw works, but got to go really really slow.
I've even tried heating up plexi-glass and it does mold but as soon as it begins to cool, it goes back to the oringinal position. You'll need to find a way to hold it in place while you heat it and while its cooling.
Looking forward to more pics.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 17th January, 2009, 12:30 AM

Nope-the plexy goes back. At the place I got the panel cut [ a used car lot of all places!] one of the ol' guys that come in for coffee said the plexy was all wrong. He said get Lexan. Stronger, easy to cut and drill, and will mold very nicely. Sounds like the right ticket for me, exept It's going to be quite a while before I can do that. The way this back problem was progressing, I wanted to get those things here at home. Now it's to late as I can't walk but about 15-20 feet. But I can sure crawl to the bathroom! and then back to the computer. I wanted that project when I got like this. OH, well can't have everything! But I keep on rolling. working on a computer for a gal that never heard the word defrag-It's so screwed up there is no saveing it, so I've got that to do.

Old 18th January, 2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondog View Post
Ive said it before I'll say it again, that tower is bloody huge!

Sucks about the plexi Hope they swap it for you. Ask for a thicker piece, its a bit more difficult to work with, but its much stronger. Also remember, drill slowly!
I've found that the full tower is the case I like the most. The obvious reason is that there is room to work! with both hands at the same time! I've worked on the mini Dell's and Compaq's-man, what a bitch!.
And It gives me other choices. It's right next to me and its the right height to put a cup of coffee-I turn down the adjustable fans and have a great coffee warmer!
I called Lowe's and customer service said no problem as long as I didn't want cash.

EDIT:
The wire wrap, heat shrink and molex pin remover will get here Monday. Then I can clean up thr guts. I need to find some trim material to line cuts in the panel. And I bet if i startlooking I can find Lexan and trim right from where I'm sitting!

Last edited by PorPorMe; 18th January, 2009 at 02:23 PM.
Old 18th January, 2009, 05:12 PM
AOA Staff

whats "wire wrap"?
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 18th January, 2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by booman View Post
whats "wire wrap"?
Sorry about the wording. I was in a hurry and I thought you and others would pick up on it on what I was using it for. But a picture is worth a 1000 words!
Cable Sleeving/ Wire Management

Old 23rd January, 2009, 10:43 PM

This is as far as I've gotton and it will be quite a while before I can do any more. I've got the bottom 1/2 cleaned up with the wrap and heat shrink, And a 1200mm fan goes un the bottom of the panel with a speaker cover trimming that. I have to put a second blow hole in the top connected to a fan controller.
The Plexy and fastners went back w/o a problem, but as with all of it -it's got to wait.
Panel looks good, need to file of tha slag and paint, also need some black trim to edge the metal. I know some of the rounds arn't quite round but you can't give it back and he only charged me $5........
Here are some pics at this state.
EDIT: I clicked send on accedent. We'll see about this edit.
Attached Thumbnails
boomans design mod-jam001.jpg   boomans design mod-jam004.jpg   boomans design mod-jam007.jpg   boomans design mod-jam010.jpg   boomans design mod-jam015.jpg  

Last edited by PorPorMe; 23rd January, 2009 at 10:50 PM.
Old 23rd January, 2009, 11:41 PM
AOA Staff

Looking good PorPorMe. That is a massive heatsink!
I would probably file those curves a bit, but I know you are in no condition for hard-labor.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 24th January, 2009, 12:05 AM

Ya, i have to file every inch of the openings except tha out of round hole at the bottom. I'll re do that with a jig saw. I've got the paint for it-every thing stays the same.
I'll pick up a mandril for my dril tomarrow & hopefully the smoked Lexan so I have something to do when I can move around a little bit. It's going to look good.

It is one big heat sink but now that I figured out how to lap it properly and mount it properly [so that each leg has the same pressure] i hasn't gone over 54c with everything thrown at it! A 4.05G overclock, Both folding clients running and OCCT- and a different run with Prime95. It's a keeper!
Thanks for the design Ideas.

Tags
case mod