AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   The Chop Shop (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/116-the-chop-shop/)
-   -   Favu's top tip = cable curling (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/the-chop-shop/40918-favus-top-tip-cable-curling.html)

Favu 1st April, 2007 10:28 PM

Favu's top tip = cable curling

If you have ever installed a new heatsink onto your processor, or a motherboard into a case you will know that there are a great many loose wires that have to be tied down or routed out of the way, however, sometimes that just isn't practical.

So I am happy to present my top tip for a tidy case = cable curling!

STUFF YOU WILL NEED

For this you will need = A pencil, some cables to tidy, and a pair of hands, those are always good ;)

My pencil of choice is a yellow pages sponsored black plastic one, made from recycled vending machine cups, because I like the environment :) but anything of the same approximate size/shape will do.

I have here a stock A64 HSF, it's not an ugly bit of kit, but look at those wires. They are unsightly and will impede airflow in your case if you leave them unchecked. Some people will tell you to cover the cables with braid / heatshrink to keep them tidy, but for a CPU cooler that can just add more size to the cables that are cluttering up your motherboard.

STEP ONE

Pick up the pencil and hold it close to the fan or to the case end of a front panel cable if you are curling that sort of cable. Untangle all of the cables so that they do not cross over each other at all between the connector and the fan/case. Begin to tightly wind all of the cables around the pencil being sure to be neat, you should find that they will bend into the shape of the pencil quite easily.

STEP TWO

Work your way along the cable until all of its length is tightly wound about the pencil. Take a deep breath and let go of the cable, it will unravel slightly, but should hold the curled shape now. Slide the pencil out of the coils and put it back on your desk.

STEP THREE

Sit back and enjoy your tidier cables and improved airflow. Don't forget to put the HSF back onto your processor before you turn it on though! :)

skool h8r 2nd April, 2007 10:50 AM

That's a good idea and it would also turn those boring molex cables into something a bit prettier. I still prefer to move them to the side of my HD cage though, at the side that i can't see/doesn't have a window.

Nice idea!

Samuknow 2nd April, 2007 12:19 PM

That is nice and simple. Great cheap way to tidy up....

Favu 2nd April, 2007 12:24 PM

Simple cheap and easy. Dunno how many of you will have thought of it already, or will actually use it... but I think it does look nicer than just leaving the cables :)

Toro 2nd April, 2007 06:41 PM

what about turning the cables into electromagnets by coiling them up? ;)

pretty though :)

Daniel ~ 2nd April, 2007 07:12 PM

Where did you buy your pencile?

Gizmo 2nd April, 2007 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toro
what about turning the cables into electromagnets by coiling them up? ;)

pretty though :)

The small number of turns, low amounts of both voltage and current, and the fact that they are air-core coils means that the field generated is pretty weak. The only issue that would be created would be due to self-inductance, and only then at pretty high frequenies (multi-megahertz).

Favu 2nd April, 2007 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel ~
Where did you buy your pencile?

T'was a promotional freebie - hence the yellow pages advertisement on it. They are used a lot for stuff like that - I have a pink one from a university too :)

Daniel ~ 2nd April, 2007 09:46 PM

It's Ok, Patti says she trust me with one!

chrisbard 3rd April, 2007 10:08 AM

You forgot to mention they need to use the hair spray after ;)

Toro 3rd April, 2007 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Favu
T'was a promotional freebie - hence the yellow pages advertisement on it. They are used a lot for stuff like that - I have a pink one from a university too :)

zomg stoled pencils!

danrok 4th April, 2007 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisbard
You forgot to mention they need to use the hair spray after ;)

I believe Favu uses the very same curling technique on his hair. :D

Samuknow 4th April, 2007 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danrok

Now that's funny.....:rolling: :D

Daniel ~ 4th April, 2007 03:01 PM

A guy tries to help us spin round and round and you guys make fun of his hair! Lucky for us Favu is an unfeeling beast hey! ":O}
(and someone who knows how to use a pencil!)

captaincurran 4th April, 2007 03:27 PM

i had to go to wikipedia to find out what the purpose of this piece of archaic technology was. i'm still not sure if i'm pronouncing it right... pen-c-el?

Daniel ~ 4th April, 2007 03:30 PM

Had the same trouble, do a search for "Jack hammer"

(It's more fun to pronounce!)

Favu 5th April, 2007 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danrok

Bah, you guys aren't funny :)

aghastpumpkin 5th April, 2007 11:02 AM

Oh yes they are.

Samuknow 5th April, 2007 03:24 PM

I thought that thing was called a "hand held manually operated lead distributing device".

EDIT for Toro: "hand held manually operated graphite distributing device".

Toro 6th April, 2007 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samuknow
I thought that thing was called a "hand held manually operated lead distributing device".

graphite tbh ;)