AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   The Chop Shop (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/116-the-chop-shop/)
-   -   Mod my alarm clock (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/the-chop-shop/42136-mod-my-alarm-clock.html)

Necorum 9th July, 2007 09:09 PM

Mod my alarm clock

Ok i want to run my alarm clock through my 5.1 system due to not waking up when it goes off.

SO......... the easiest way I would think would be to just run speaker wire from the well wires that goto the speaker to my powered subwoofer RCA jacks (in).

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Gizmo 9th July, 2007 09:52 PM

Assuming your powered speaker is designed to accept speaker-level inputs, and your alarm clock speaker is of the same impedance as the input to the speaker (the alarm probably has a cheap 8 ohm speaker in it), then you should be good to go.

The only thing I can think of off hand is if the circuitry inside the alarm isn't fully isolated from the line voltage (can't think of a reason it wouldn't be, though), you could have a problem there.

raphael2040 9th July, 2007 10:20 PM

Sounds like a neat idea, Necorum!

Have fun with it! =P

Samuknow 9th July, 2007 11:08 PM

I did it before on a boom box with an input and an alarm radio. It should work fine.

Make a cable in install a jack into the alarm clock. It will look cooler that the wire I had hanging out of mine.

Necorum 9th July, 2007 11:55 PM

yea i can take apart my old .mp3 player and use the speaker out wiring for the alarm clock. I sleep through my alarm which is bad sooo need something loud. I think 500 watts is overkill but meh turn the volume down

Necorum 9th July, 2007 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gizmo
Assuming your powered speaker is designed to accept speaker-level inputs, and your alarm clock speaker is of the same impedance as the input to the speaker (the alarm probably has a cheap 8 ohm speaker in it), then you should be good to go.

The only thing I can think of off hand is if the circuitry inside the alarm isn't fully isolated from the line voltage (can't think of a reason it wouldn't be, though), you could have a problem there.

Its designed to take any sound input and amplify it through the 5.1

captaincurran 10th July, 2007 05:04 PM

are you gonna do any other mods to it? a new paint job perhaps? a window in? or some lights? and don't forget we want pics! :D

Samuknow 10th July, 2007 05:47 PM

Nothing like a 500 watt alarm clock to ease you into your day....

Necorum 10th July, 2007 06:50 PM

captain your onto something here hmm fans :P i have the perfect saw now i have to go through my graveyard of fans and i have paint also :P

Necorum 10th July, 2007 06:52 PM

might do a video of it waking me up :p (also its demise :P)

Samuknow 10th July, 2007 07:03 PM

Yea, that is what I was thinking. I might wake up to it once. It may not survive to wake me another day.

Necorum 10th July, 2007 07:12 PM

must keep it on the other side of the room :P oooooo my roomies and neighbors are going to love it if i forget its all the way up

Necorum 10th July, 2007 07:32 PM

Ok after looking at the alarm clock in question im thinking of a new housing and since i fixed my old .mp3 player i was debating on connecting that to the new casing on a side and mod the usb hookup on the back of the new case so i can change the music and it has storage........ OR maybe i could have the alarm some how play myu mp3's instead of the radio or the annoying beeps.

Any idea's?
http://www.lenoxx.com/2005/clockradio/CR501gunmetal.htm

I also might want to change out the leds to a flashy led system in the futrue like multi colored leds

Favu 20th July, 2007 05:02 PM

Sounds like what you are looking at is basically building your own custom made alarm clock. It is do-able but you will most likely need to learn to program PICs and so on to get things working the way you want. :)

Azriel 24th June, 2008 10:31 AM

Screw feeding it into the 5.1. Your alarm clock isn't putting out more than 2 channels anyway. Standalone evil is always better.

Okay, now you need to look first at your "alarm clock" if it's a piece of crap, whatever you make with it will just be a much larger steaming turd.

Parts:
A good alarm clock, preferable a small one with a ipod dock.
****ty high wattage car amp. The ghetto cheap ones that accept speaker level input.
Power supply. I'd just get a UPS with a bad battey, and gut the PSU out of it, or whatever you can find that will push 30 amps of 12v.

Slap some speakers on that and maybe 4 sound activated CCFLs, and you won't be sleeping in.

Azriel 24th June, 2008 10:42 AM

Flogging Molly or The Dropdead Murphys will not let you sleep. Give them a listen.

Samuknow 24th June, 2008 11:01 AM

I saw Flogging Molly with the Rev Horton Heat here in Indy..

Great stuff.

When you get this blinking blasting alarm clock built, I am coming over to see it....