AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   The Chop Shop (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/116-the-chop-shop/)
-   -   Cube case build up (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/the-chop-shop/47515-cube-case-build-up.html)

Samuknow 6th July, 2009 01:49 AM

Cube case build up

3 Attachment(s)
Well I have finally had a little time to start this long time dreamed about build. I had a few cases given to me and two of them are identical. Perfect for the case I want to build. I will take both cases and make them into one to be able to hold my present gear and water cooling stuff.

Here are a few teaser pics.

I will post a few more when I start the log.

PorPorMe 6th July, 2009 04:04 AM

Oh boy, a new mod! Looks like you cold park the car in there.

ThunderRd 6th July, 2009 07:04 AM

That's a good idea, Sam - I've never thought of putting two cases together like that.

Get the Dremel ready. ;)

ThunderRd 7th July, 2009 06:35 AM

The biggest decisions you will have to make are going to be regarding airflow...gotta make sure you don't have any "short-circuits" or dead spots.

Cigars work great for that purpose ;)

raphael2040 13th July, 2009 12:27 PM

I'm not sure if you're familiar with them, but take a look at MountainMods.com for some inspiration and ideas!

You could get some serious cooling kit in there though!

ThunderRd 13th July, 2009 02:15 PM

Yeah, Sam already knows that I lust after the MountainMods cases, I've mentioned them before. They're my personal favorites if I can ever get one here from there...

ccperf721p 13th July, 2009 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThunderRd (Post 494973)
Yeah, Sam already knows that I lust after the MountainMods cases, I've mentioned them before. They're my personal favorites if I can ever get one here from there...

If you just need someone here to ship it to you, I can do that..

ThunderRd 13th July, 2009 06:42 PM

I'll keep that in mind. ;)

dsio 13th July, 2009 07:23 PM

Those cases were absolutely infesting Australia too about 99-03. Good to see them being borged up.

ThunderRd 15th July, 2009 02:33 AM

I'm partial to milled aluminum, or black anodized if the finish is right. I could see a nice black anodized front panel with a brushed finish and a plexi top...but if the top isn't going to be visible from where you stand the box then make windows in the sides instead.

ccperf721p 15th July, 2009 05:48 AM

I'm using an old HP netserver cube that I hacked up and made my gear fit in a year or so ago.. It's not the prettiest thing in the world, but it was intended that way.. It's my murdered out mod, flat black box with a couple of splashes of brushed aluminum to break it up.. I'll get some pics up sometime..

ccperf721p 15th July, 2009 03:19 PM

I guess it would be a rat rod case. While looking through the paint cabinet it was either mix a few different colors to come up with enough paint to put in the gun or use some of the quart of flat black.. Not being sure what the end color of the mixed paint would be I decided on flat black..

It's kind of along the same lines as yours all the drives, the pump and the power supply on one side, board and radiator on the other. My gear gets swapped so often that I'm not a big stickler on getting everything perfect, just so long as it's clean and out of the way..

Pics tonight.

ccperf721p 22nd July, 2009 01:25 AM

For some reason my camera doesn't want to power up. I took some pics with a disposable and dropped it off today. I'll pick them up on my way home tomorrow. It's 105 degrees and it rained this morning so I really have no interest in going back outside.

booman 30th October, 2009 06:29 PM

Awesome Work Sam! I'm looking forward to more pictures.
Two cases allows so many configurations for hardware & fans. It also gives me a few ideas for a mod too.

raphael2040 31st October, 2009 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samuknow (Post 495018)
New post. I am deciding on what to do exactly on the top. I was thinking plexi or using the stock tops and installing windows. I will use bondo to fill the joint between. I want to use as much of the original cases as i can. I could wrap the whole thing in Plexi, wood or aluminum, but I do not feet that is where I want to go with this. The front will have to have a custom panel.

A plexi (or acrylic) outer shell would look insane.

Paint the cage inside with some UV paint, and make it glow!

Daniel ~ 31st October, 2009 07:14 PM

Just following along with ya...":O}

PorPorMe 8th February, 2010 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samuknow (Post 499702)
Got a little done this weekend. Not as much as I had hoped. I will get some pics up. Maybe a little more this week.

Well, this was posted in November. Any progress? Pics?:)

booman 12th February, 2010 01:15 AM

Pics please.... Please....

bonesaw 10th May, 2010 10:19 PM

yea booman did this get finished?

cloasters 31st May, 2010 08:35 PM

Maybe the inconveniences of life have stalled the project? Thumbs up, Samuknow!