AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > The Quiet PC

The Quiet PC Silencing your PC

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 13th January, 2005, 02:14 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

A quiet DVD combo drive or a DVD burner?

Hey guys, A while back I posted a tread to help me qiet my noisy PC down. My PC was very quiet. If I had replaced the GPU fan it would probibly silent, or aleast quieter than the ambient noise.

But my wife got me HalfLife 2 on DVD for X-Mas. Anyway, I didn't have DVD-ROM (only an ASUS 52x CD-ROM). So I went over to newegg.com and got a Rosewill combo drive that is a total POS and noisy as all get out.

Anyone have any sugestions for a quiet DVD burner or combo drive? If I had the funds I would get a Plextor, are there any cheaper options out there?

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th January, 2005, 02:19 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Goto home club (or base, or depot, or whatever they call it now) and get a couple of small rubber washers and put those inbetween the frame and the drive, or use an old mouse pad.
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th January, 2005, 02:24 AM
Member/Contributer

ooh that reminds me I'll put optical drives in my list
nec burners are quite renowned for their volume levels, I have a 2500@2510 and it's much quieter than my 16X reader as is my lg super multi-format drive. this is because they are about 20-30% slower on most disks but it's a small sacrifice to not have a jet plane take off every time I insert a disk plus when i do want speed my plain dvd drive is there.
I recomend getting a dvd-burner over a combo drive, the prices are so low you'd be mad not to and being able to burn dvd's is so useful
if dvd-ram support is useful get an lg super multi format (I have one and they're in expensive fast and compatable) if you don't then go for the nec nd3520

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 13th January, 2005, 02:29 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie
Goto home club (or base, or depot, or whatever they call it now) and get a couple of small rubber washers and put those inbetween the frame and the drive, or use an old mouse pad.
Rob
That's not going to work. I have a Sonata case so the drive is already rubber mounted. But the motor when it spins up is rediculously loud. If I wanted to watch a DVD on this drive the drive noise would make it unbearible.

I'll check out the NEC next paycheck.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Old 13th January, 2005, 02:53 AM
Member/Contributer

they aren't rubber mounted in the sonatas (unless they changed it) just a plastic drive rail, some insulation between that and the drive might help. If you have nero I beleive that has a tool for lowering the drives spin speed though, putting it down to a sensable level would definately help

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 13th January, 2005, 10:14 AM
Member/Contributer

I built a PC for a friend and put in a NEC 3500. Its drawer mechanism is fairly smooth and silent but the drive itself is very quiet...compared to my Liteon 52xCD-RW which isn't!

AOA Team fah
Old 13th January, 2005, 01:44 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

NEC 3520 is under $70. I have the 3500ag and it is quiet. Then again, my other drive is a lite-one DVD/CDRW (52x).... that thing is a jet, but it rips fast.

The 3520 is the best for burning too, 16x +r/-r, 4x DL (+R/-R), and I think 8 or 12x RW too.
Old 13th January, 2005, 03:10 PM
Member/Contributer

had I not been swayed by the temptation of dvd-ram support it is the drive I would have gone for. Using the 2500 for the last 6months or so I can't fault it, I've not had single failure on it with around 100 dvd burns and 200 cd burns even using reletively budget media (infineon and bulkpaq) evry disc has been compatable with every player I've tried. the only thing that could improve it is it's cd burning speed of 32x where as my lg is 40X and there is a noticable differance.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 13th January, 2005, 03:51 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Quote:
the only thing that could improve it is it's cd burning speed of 32x where as my lg is 40X and there is a noticable differance.
I've noticed that with my DVD burner as well, doesn't burn a regular CD as fast.
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 13th January, 2005, 04:09 PM
Member/Contributer

you can still knock a cd out in 3minutes or so but my lg does it in just over 2 and if you're doing a load in one go it adds up

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah

« - | Quiet Section »