AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > The Quiet PC

The Quiet PC Silencing your PC

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 29th October, 2006, 12:09 AM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

fans quiet in standby

Hi all,
i'm currently experimenting with system alarm clocks as i want to wake up to music in the morning. However, when my system goes into standby, the GPU and CPU fans spin at full speed. Does anyone know any way to make them spin at lower speeds during standby (CPU fan at 50% and GPU fan at 30%)?

Thanks,
Scott.

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th October, 2006, 12:25 AM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

I assume that the fan speeds are controlled by software, and in standby the run at full speed because the software isn't running or isn't running correctly.

Short of turning the PC off and telling it to boot at a certain time in the BIOS and then setting your music allarm to go off once it has booted I can't think of any other solutions.

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th October, 2006, 12:38 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Can you not set it to hibernate and then use the BIOS's RTC alarm to wake the machine up? It will save more power too!

The problem is that you need to screw around with the code that implements fan control in order to prevent that from happening. I suspect this will be part of the ACPI code.
Old 29th October, 2006, 09:36 AM

When I click standby, my PC powers completely down. I think you need to alter your BIOS settings to Suspend to Ram. Cos when mine is setup like this, no fans run at all. It is the same as if it were off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
Skinny people are not petite in every aspect of the body, let me tell you that
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
I was searching for a synonym for testicles that rhymed with hats

[/FONT]

Old 29th October, 2006, 01:00 PM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghastpumpkin
When I click standby, my PC powers completely down. I think you need to alter your BIOS settings to Suspend to Ram. Cos when mine is setup like this, no fans run at all. It is the same as if it were off.
I read about doing that, leaves just enough power to keep RAM alive. However, when it went into standby, it just went into standby, not completely off even though STR is set.

I have tried to set the RTC alarm, but for some reason, it didn't work. I remember waking up 5 minutes before it was due to go off, waiting, waiting, and nothing happening so i went back to sleep.

I'll mess about a bit and see if i can get something working.

EDIT: wow, it worked now. And 'startup' is soooo much quicker

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)

Last edited by skool h8r; 29th October, 2006 at 01:03 PM.
Old 29th October, 2006, 01:30 PM

You should still switch it off at night tbh, as it will consume a LOT of extra power per year and drive up your poor parents energy bills....

Plus it's un-environmentally friendly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
Skinny people are not petite in every aspect of the body, let me tell you that
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
I was searching for a synonym for testicles that rhymed with hats

[/FONT]

Old 29th October, 2006, 02:00 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

You should be able to switch it off and set your bios to turn on the machine at a given time. Then just put whatever playlist into the startup menu and it should run.